News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What paint gun to get for beginners.

Started by green69rt, May 10, 2009, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I'm starting my journey in painting and wonder if anyone can recommend a paint gun setup to get me started.  I'm only looking to prime the trunk and underside of my car to keep out the rust till I send it off to get painted.  Any thought out there??  I have a 20 gal compressor that is rated at 4.5 CFM.   Is this enough to get started with??

Chatt69chgr

Harbor Freight has several sprayers that would work for this application.  They usually go on sale every month or two and don't cost too much to begin with.  Certainly good enough for some primer and it would give you some experience with a sprayer before and if you buy a good one.  I bought a cheap sprayer from Sears for my first paint job.  I sprayed acrylic enamel on my 73 ford pickup.  Only did the front fender.  Knocked a mailbox down.  Had to do some bondo work first and primed with spray cans.  I did that work in 1977.  I sold the truck in 2002 and that paint was still looking good.  My compressor was one I borrowed from a friend.  A Sears 20 gal with 2HP motor.  I practiced on a 55 gallon drum first.  Follow the safety recommendations of the paint vendor.  Modern paints are very dangerous if inhaled. 

Silver R/T

I wouldn't buy big air compressor unless you know for sure that you will be doing bodywork all the time. I have 60 gallon 220V air compressor in garage and I sure can use more air. You can't have too much air, more is better. You need to run regulator anyways to control output. HF has guns as low as 12.99 that will be great for practice/primer job. Until you learn how to use cheap knock offs don't buy expensive $300-$500 Binks, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TexasStroker

I agree with the HF plug.  For just messing around and teaching yourself the trade that will be a great way to go.  I've actually had old timers tell me that those are the best guns they've used...I suppose to each his own, but for getting started give them a shot...

If you progress and want to step up you can shell out the cash for a high $ gun and not have the "rookie" thrashing on it  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

jaak

I have an astro evo, they're about 100 bucks, and they are LVLP which supposedly works better with smaller compressors. I have 2, one with a 1.4 tip for paint, and one with a 1.8 tip for primer. I like mine, I think its a decent gun for a hobbyist. 
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=APEVO4014-18&Category_Code=LESE
Jason

green69rt

Thanks, folks.  Now, at least, I have a starting point.  I figure I will be blowing primer in the trunk and underneath the car to start and now can have some leads on what to use.  Thanks again.  I really getting some good info on this site!!

Supercharged Riot

Primer gun = Harber freight guns
Paint & Clearcoat = Satajet 90-2

green69rt

I ended up with a two HVLP paint gun kit from Harbor Freight.  A small one for "detail" work and a large one. Both gravity fed, a 1.4 tip and a 1.8 tip.  Total price was about $75 including shipping.  I think I will use the small one for tight to reach spots, it only has a 4 oz cup the large gun has a 20 oz cup.