News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever swapped an A-body 8.75 into a B or E body ?

Started by sportony, May 08, 2009, 07:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportony

Just wondering  :shruggy: - for tire clearance issues.....I realize the spring perches would need to be relocated if such a swap could be done. I have tried doing searches on such a topic, but can't come up with any info.  Maybe because its not necessary ?? Have a 68 charger, and 70 barracuda, and an A body 8 3/4 axel housing laying around, and was just curious.  I know the E body axel is a little wider / longer than the B body charger, so maybe if a such a swap were possible, it would be more advantagous for the E-body than the B body ?

Mike DC

When you're talking about 8.75 rearends, I think the A-body width housings are more in demand than anything else.  Lotsa A-body drag cars getting built these days, but there were few A-bodies ever originally built with 8.75 rearends from the factory.   

You'd probably be better off flipping it to someone else and getting the correct one for what you're doing.

chargerbr549

A few things about the A-body 8.75 rearend, they are all small bolt pattern (4 inch) so you will have to either get different axles right off the bat or redrill the factory ones for the big bolt pattern (4.5 inch)and they also use a wierd narrow brake drum and from what I understand they are not easy to find or expensive to get, also the axle flange distance to the flange of the axle housing is narrower on the A-body rearend as opposed the more common wider brake system that  the B & C bodys use. If you are wanting to goto a narrow rearend it would be cheaper and easier to probably find a C body 8.75 and have the housing and axles narrowed assuming there is enough meat on the axles shafts to do so.

Kevin

sportony

Thanks Kevin  :cheers:

I just basically wanted to know if an A-body rearend (stock or aftermarket, Dana or 8.75) would be able to be placed in an E or B body, or would it be too narrow.
What you said makes a lot of sense, and your input is much appreciated.....

b5blue

Check your axle I had a 72 dart that had 8 3/4 with big bolt pattern and it sold to the 2nd guy who looked at it just for that reason(?)!(the first guy called me back the next day and wanted it and I got a bunch more calls) The a body car guys really want those 8 3/4!!