News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

video of controversial tucker convertible

Started by moparstuart, May 07, 2009, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

What a fantastic find and story :2thumbs: I would love to own a Tucker.  How many were made? the convertible was 57, I thought in the movie they had to produce over 100 :shruggy: was there only 1 rag top?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

resq302

To my knowledge, I thought all of the cars he made were hard tops? :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

UFO

Quote from: 41husk on May 07, 2009, 07:14:51 PM
What a fantastic find and story :2thumbs: I would love to own a Tucker.  How many were made? the convertible was 57, I thought in the movie they had to produce over 100 :shruggy: was there only 1 rag top?

He says in the video that 36 were made at the factory then another 15 were assembled after the plant closed. :scratchchin:
Who assembled them if the place was closed?

moparguy01

Tucker himself and his original crew built the remaining 15 after the plant closed to prove a point that they did not attempt to defraud the government in getting the building they had. I have never heard of a tucker vert.

i know they made a movie about it called "Tucker" its not bad.

Ghoste

I never knew they made a convertible one either.  It seems kind of strange when safety was his main thing but it sounds like he did one.  Wow, that is an amazing find!

Red Ram

Interesting. You'd have to wonder why they would make a concept car after they knew production would cease. If they were trying to build cars to prove to the government they weren't a scam, why not pump out "regular" production vehicles?
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

resq302

Story has it that they were making the regular cars but they were "too good" and were catching flack from all of the major car manufactures.  They had pop out glass, a third headlight that aimed in the direction you were turning for added safety and light, and a lot of other safety things that cars today are coming back out with.  If you have not had a chance to watch the movie or rent it, definitely do so.  Probably one of the greatest car movies out there for a car buff for history.  It has a pretty good cast in it too. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

41husk

The movie is called "A man and hid dream" staring Jeff Bridges.  It was released in 1988.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

b5blue

A big issue back then that isn't addressed in the movie was that they sold allot of "accessory" items such as radios and dress up kits through the mail, since there were no Tuckers to put them on yet...they deemed it "mail fraud" (at the big 3's prompting). They busted his chops anyway they could!

moparstuart

Quote from: b5blue on May 08, 2009, 09:02:46 AM
A big issue back then that isn't addressed in the movie was that they sold allot of "accessory" items such as radios and dress up kits through the mail, since there were no Tuckers to put them on yet...they deemed it "mail fraud" (at the big 3's prompting). They busted his chops anyway they could!
He was also selling dealerships and car before he had a product . He was cash poor and need to raise capitol to get his company off the ground .  This supposide convertible parts and frame were found in the R & D department of his plant . Could have been a concept car ?  Could be a hoxie . There is tons of people for and against it on the decussion boards .

HE was way ahead of his time on safety issues , he had seat belt as standard equiptment .  Safety glass and several other thing 20 years before most of that stuff was standard on all cars.

Steve P.

Let's not forget the disc brakes....   

A metallurgist could pretty well prove the frames authenticity..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

You have to put his safety peatures in the context of the times though.  The other automakers were less worried about him selling a lot of cars than they were the safety features.  The fear wasn't that they would have to install them either, it was that by him talking about safety all the time, people would clue in to the fact that driving was dangerous and the public would just quit buying cars of any stripe.

69*F5*SE

Very cool video.  The owner is sitting on a fortune.

dkn1997

original concept had the 3rd headlight turning, but the production car just has a fixed light....I think it was getting to expensive to have it turn and he was feeling the pressure to get the cars made because of his legal troubles.
RECHRGED

41husk

According to the movie only 50 tuckers were produced and 40 something were still road worthy.  If the movie is correct there is no way #57 can be authentic.  They had not even produced all 50 when they were notified of the eviction.  Why would they go ahead and design a convertible that would never be sold?  They were flat broke after the trial.  My guess would be # 57 was produced outside the factory from original Tucker parts, but was never designed for production any thoughts?  wouldn't all tooling and assets be sold to repay aquired debt?  It is very interesting to say the least :popcrn: caused me to go out and rent the movie, and it is a very good watch :Twocents:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on May 12, 2009, 12:22:44 PM
According to the movie only 50 tuckers were produced and 40 something were still road worthy.  If the movie is correct there is no way #57 can be authentic.  They had not even produced all 50 when they were notified of the eviction.  Why would they go ahead and design a convertible that would never be sold?  They were flat broke after the trial.  My guess would be # 57 was produced outside the factory from original Tucker parts, but was never designed for production any thoughts?  wouldn't all tooling and assets be sold to repay aquired debt?  It is very interesting to say the least :popcrn: caused me to go out and rent the movie, and it is a very good watch :Twocents:
I think they had several frames and cars ear marked to be built and the parts were numbered for those pre production.   That would be my guess if it's real , but who knows for sure ?

41husk

In my mind :shruggy: 57 cars into production and they had one convertible ear marked?  I would think there would be to much tooling involved to pull that off or even attempt to pull it off that early in development.  He had said if we had two more weeks we would be producing 100 cars per day.  The first 50 were practicly hand built do to the time restrictions.  Although it is a neat story and a cool car, I am very skepticle that it was a Preston Tucker designed rag top.   :Twocents:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on May 12, 2009, 01:28:02 PM
In my mind :shruggy: 57 cars into production and they had one convertible ear marked?  I would think there would be to much tooling involved to pull that off or even attempt to pull it off that early in development.  He had said if we had two more weeks we would be producing 100 cars per day.  The first 50 were practicly hand built do to the time restrictions.  Although it is a neat story and a cool car, I am very skepticle that it was a Preston Tucker designed rag top.   :Twocents:
I tend to lean that way also , i'm from the "show me state" I need more proof .

He is claiming the car was being built for prestons wife ? The convertible was to be waltz blue & named vera .

Ghoste

This isn't really proof but I take the word of this person more than the guy in that video.   I spoke recently with a Tucker owner who is as much of an authority on them as anyone I know and he stated flatly that the car is a fake.  It has been cobbled together with leftover parts and chopped up by the guy in the video and the Tucker community are all very aware of it but concerned that urban legend will take over and make the car "legit" in the public eye.
Like I said, that isn't really evidence but it was enough to convince me.

bull

Quote from: 41husk on May 08, 2009, 08:33:58 AM
The movie is called "A man and hid dream" staring Jeff Bridges.  It was released in 1988.

Actually it's "Tucker: The Man and His Dream" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096316/

What's the deal with the chrome on that thing? I'd say it's rusty but it doesn't really look like rust, just discolored chrome.

pettybird

I know Justin (he dealt with best of show a few times) and I know he didn't build the thing from vapor.  I also know he doesn't have anywhere near the money into it a hardtop could bring at an auction.  whenever it was done it was a long time ago.  he's been invited to Monterey and other places once it's done, too. 

it's as controversial as the Mod Top Daytona multiplied by the watermelon Daytona multiplied by the purple 70 Daytona.   :lol:

Ghoste

If it's as controversial as those three then I'd have to guess it's about as real too.  :lol:
And yes, there should be no mistaking which side of that controversy I'm on. ;)