News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Slipping going into 3rd

Started by Tilar, May 06, 2009, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I'm looking at a 3rd gen Charger on Craigslist. The guy that owns it says that it slips going into 3rd gear, and the guy that built the transmission last year told him the band needed adjusting. Since the last transmission that I rebuilt was in 1990, It's hard for me to remember if the band actually actuates third gear or not in the 727.

Can anyone clarify this?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bob

Hello Tilar,
I don't know about the adjustment but I can tell you from 3 transmissions that it will go completely out when your not expecting it. It's going to take a transmission.
:Twocents:
Bob

John_Kunkel

A kickdown band that's really far out of adjustment will cause momentary slipping on the 2-3 shift but in most cases the problem is in the clutch itself.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

If the throttle preasure linkage is not hooked up and adjusted properly, some trans will momentarily rev up on the 2-3 shift.

mally69

I was actually going to ask the same question. Mine slips occasionally going into 3rd only when 2nd is wound out, and i was thinking it may have been the bands needing to be adjusted, but I have no clue.  Keep'em coming guys im curious also  :popcrn:

Tilar

Well, After a little more talking with the person that owns the car, Apparently it will still slip on hard throttle once it's fully into third gear. I'm thinking clutches or something in the third gear drum.
Dave  

flyinlow

To shift from 2 to 3 the intermediate band releases and the direct clutch engages.  ,band adjustment and throttle  preasure can effect the shift.

If you drive with the kickdown linkage not hooked up or not adjusted right , you might get a momentary rpm flair up on the 2-3 shift  .

If it slips in third gear its transmission repair time.

Tilar

My memory isn't that great and like I said it's been almost 20 years since I did any tranny work, but I was thinking that it would have to come out.  I plan on going to look at the car this weekend and see what we can work out.

Thanks everyone.  :cheers:
Dave