News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions ON Blown 500 Stroker ===UPDATE more questions??!!===

Started by 69charger440, April 30, 2009, 12:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger440

Well I am here to get some info about a project I am looking at starting!!  :scratchchin:

I just picked up a 440 stroked to 500 CI. It has Ross pistons(8.9 Compression). It has 440 source crank and rods! Edelbrock RPM heads!
All the parts have not been used! They were bolted together and never fired!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I am thinking about putting a blower on it. The guy I got it from was going to do this put ran into money problems. So thats why I got it!! ($1500) :2thumbs:

I wanted to know what I would need to do to this motor to make it hold the power! Can it be done with 8.9 compression!! I was thinking of a 2 keys on the crank snout, 4 bolt mains. But I know there are some guys who have done it who can give me a better idea of what I will be getting into, and maybe what it might cost.

I have a transmisison that will handle it and a Dana 60 waiting to be installed, so I just need the make some power now!! Any help would be great. plus this thread could help alot of people understand what it actually takes to do it!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

mopar_nut_440_6

I don't think it will work out for you but am willing to take it of your hands for $2500.

I like turbos and think that would make a great twin turbo engine. I love the look of a blower but the performance and ease of setup with a turbo is aesome.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69charger440

Why do you think it wont work out for me! Yeah I couldnt let a good deal go that easy!

mikesbbody

I always thought 8.1 (or lower) was better for a supercharged Motor Hopefully Ron will chime in.
Why not just make power the "old fashioned" way?  you already have the C.I maybe just up the compression.

Rolling_Thunder

what type of blower you planning on ?  centi or roots ?    if you get a roots style you'll want two keyways on the crank - and stay away from Demon carbs...     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charger2fast4u

i hope this topic gets lots of attention. there isn't much information on blower motors on here. i am building a stroker motor but keep thinking of going with a blower setup but not sure if i should go that route. has anyone built a turbo motor that would be nice to see how they set it up in a 68-70 charger or any other body style.

69charger440

i was thinking more on the roots. I have talked to a couple machinist and they are telling me i should be fine without putting another keyway with using up to 12 pounds of boost. But i am not totally sure, that is why i am asking. Will it need 4 bolt mains or just a girtle.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 69charger440 on April 30, 2009, 07:46:34 PM
i was thinking more on the roots. I have talked to a couple machinist and they are telling me i should be fine without putting another keyway with using up to 12 pounds of boost. But i am not totally sure, that is why i am asking. Will it need 4 bolt mains or just a girtle.

I've built 800hp supercharged 440s without any bottom end work - I think a Girdle will be just fine...   

Tell your machinists you dont care what they say - put a second keyway in.   you're going to have to open up the stock keyway anyway as blower pulleys use a larger keyway if i remember correctly.

Heads - use some ARP studs...     nothing sucks worse than pushing out a head gasket...   

GET A REV LIMITER

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

Sounds like a descent build. Compression is a little on the high side but it is workable....just run less boost for pump gas. The mains should be studded at least and so should the heads. You will need a custom blower grind cam as well.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69charger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 30, 2009, 09:53:25 PM
Sounds like a descent build. Compression is a little on the high side but it is workable....just run less boost for pump gas. The mains should be studded at least and so should the heads. You will need a custom blower grind cam as well.

Ron

Well the heads and mains have ARP studs! I have never built any to serious so, it should be fun! I will be asking alot of questions. How much boost do you think i could get away with on pump gas? And what would be the estamated horse power gain with the blower at that high of compression? I just want to know if it is worth spending the money! Do you have do use different carburators for a blower application, if so where can I get them?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on April 30, 2009, 10:17:00 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 30, 2009, 09:53:25 PM

Ron

Well the heads and mains have ARP studs! I have never built any to serious so, it should be fun! I will be asking alot of questions. How much boost do you think i could get away with on pump gas? And what would be the estamated horse power gain with the blower at that high of compression? I just want to know if it is worth spending the money! Do you have do use different carburators for a blower application, if so where can I get them?

Lots of different factors come into play so there's no steadfast rule when it comes to boost and pump gas compatibility. It all boils down to dynamic compression, quench and cylinder pressure. Stuff like stall speed and rear end gearing also comes into play. The tuneup is also extremely important....too much timing or too lean and it will detonate. On a well set up combo with good cooling you should be able to run 5-6 psi of boost on pump gas.

Several companies make boost referenced carburators for blower applications. These carbs are modified to work with forced induction and reference manifold vacuum to set the fuel curve....makes tuning on a street type build much easier.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mopar_nut_440_6

I spent many, many hours on this site dedicated to turbos and blow through superchargers, when I built the turbo setup for my Duster. It will provide you with all of the information you need and more. One of the mods owns a company that specializes in carbs for these applications and can set you up.

http://www.csucarbs.com/

If you want to do your own carb build the information is there as well, this is what I did.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=a8231917a989d548a72416b63a01cc81&board=13.0

I hope this helps! I also love the look of the superchargers and have one at home I have been lugging around in the hope of having a car with one some day!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69charger440

thanks! I know it is going to be hard to do this project, but it cant be to difficult. I will be posting alot more when i start this project. You will be involved i hope. I am going to need the assistance. Very eager to get started. Thanks again to all.

69charger440

Ok well i have been chatting to some people about this build up!! I know people are building mopar blower motors! How much power can a 1976 Block 440 hold? I am hoping more than 700 with NEW main caps and a girdle? What are the pros and cons of Billet Steel mains verse Billet ALUMINUM mains? And who might have the best kit (Mains and Gridle) to buy? I want to build this motor right, I also want it to last! What kind of modifications would I have to do to run a roller cam, and is it worth the extra money? Sorry but I have another question for all you! With the 440source rods with they hold up to a 500 Cubic inch blown application? I am trying to get my ducks all in a row before I start buying more parts and make sure it all works together to have a killer street cruiser! :drool5: Thanks to all!

firefighter3931

If you're looking to supercharge a stroker my advice would be to look at an aftermarket block. The design limits of the stock block will be exceeded with the combination of stroker + blower.  :Twocents:  It will break eventually.  :P

Ron

69charger440

Well that changes things.  :'( I will just have to settle for the 500 stroker!! Thanks