News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Hemi That Got Away... (New Home)

Started by 426HemiCharger, May 06, 2009, 05:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiCharger

This thread is for sharing stories of cars that got away.  If you have pics, great share those too.  If you were on the old thread and came back to argue more then get off!  Then we won't have any problems. :2thumbs:
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

bk72

thank god...and i would like to hear some stories  :yesnod:  :coolgleamA:

426HemiCharger

Right  :hah:

Back to business:

There was a 1964 Plymouth Barracuda white/red 343-code Commando V8.

See if you can figure out what a 343-code is?
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

bk72

426HemiCharger

1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Hemidoug

I missed out on a Daytona back in the late 80s for 7K......mostly because I didn't have the coin.  :brickwall:
It was R4 with a white stripe....440 4spd car.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

bk72

nice  :coolgleamA:

i hope to find another good deal on something soon. i am really tired of working on my project aspen. thank god i will be done next week :icon_smile_big:

426HemiCharger

As I said on the old and locked forum there was a '69 Charger in Auto trader R6 red black stripe P/S P/B A/C console A/T no price and no contact.  
Heading said :D

1969 Challenger T/A
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

skip68

Back in 86 I missed out on my buds 68 Charger R/T for $1100.   It was a running, driving car that he took to school.  I loved that car but my parents said NO !   :rotz:   I ended up with a 1978 Chevy Chevette.   :smilielol:  By the way, the Chevette was a 4spd car.    :2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

This one time, at band camp........ Oh wait, damn it, wrong story....

When I was 16 I had the chance to trade my '70 Z28 for a RoadRunner.. I laughed and said no because Mopars "weren't my thing".

Oh to be young and stupid again...  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

426HemiCharger

1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

tan top

back in 87 missed out on a 69 charger R/T  4 speed dana car ..with a six pack fitted  T7 ,tan interior ..black top  :yesnod:  phoned it up soon as i got the mag  .at 8.30 am   ;D :yesnod:  just been sold  :icon_smile_blackeye:  that would of been about $1100 ... only needed interior work ...turns out the car was only  5 minutes away & i had never seen it
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

skip68

What's sad is that us guys that are 38-40 years old and older spent more money on other crappy cars back in the 80's than Chargers.   :rotz:   If we only knew !   :rotz:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bearbqd

I too missed out on a 69 R/T Charger when I lived in Georgia. 440, 4 sp car with only 11,000 mostly drag race miles on it. All original, but because it had fish tailed into a guard rail on the right side ( basically had a small continuous dent and scrape down the right side), I thought that $3,200 was too much for it. This was in 1993.

The stupidiest one I ever let go was also in Georgia. I stopped by a classic car dealership about that same year in 93. There was a gorgeous, B5 blue, 71, 340 Cuda for sale there. Asking price was $5k. I don't know why to this day that since this was a dealership, I could have easily financed it with my then perfect credit. All I knew was that I didn't have five thousand and therefore couldn't buy it. I took  pictures of it though and pine over it everytime I take them out.

One other car that I should have pursued in Georgia. I saw a car for sale one time in an empty lot. It was a modified show car with a blown (meaning blower motor and scoop out the hood) motor. Body was in great shape but it was mini tubbed. Asking price was $12k. What was it? A real 69 Shelby Mustang. I have pics of that car too.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Brock Samson

My top pick for the one that got away was the '70 Chally R/T six-pack in plum crazy with elastomeric front bumper it was an auto car and all there except a couple minor items like the stock wheels and the top of the motor (meaning the six-pack intake). It was owned by a mechanic he said he's sell it to me for $6.5k and I passed cause I was about to spend about as much to rebuild the Six-pack motor I had scored the year before, must have been about '96 or so,.. money was tight but I'm sure that car at least tripled in value in about the next three years...

There were a few others a freashly cloned SS 454 '71 El Camino that went at a Ca. State auction for $14 K. and the all green 727 '70 HEMI Charger which had only the carpet taken out to show how pristine the floors were - for $15K.
The other I dwelled on but again had to pass to complete my R/T, was a very low milage (like under 20K) '67 Toronado just up the hill from me - all sea foam aqua - that was $17K and ended up in a museum in Fla.

:shruggy:   :violin:

I have a huge bunch of old '80s ads from the local paper and auto trader with complete running 2nd gen chargers and E-bods and several Hurst 300s and Olds,.. for under 10K they all sounded like sweet cars -  I collected those ads while i worked two jobs to fund my Chargers return to B.B. status...
If I didn't have my Band/Studio to fund/support/drain funds,.. I probably could have easily had any one of those other cars..
But playing lead guitar in my own band had a special appeal all it's own.
:rock:
I'm sure if alot of you guys hadn't got married and had kids you'd have them cars that got away too... or maybe even finished the ones you have..  :icon_smile_wink:

triple_green

1980...seattle times classified add 68 Charger 426 hemi 4-speed 66K miles $1500.

I called 3 hours after that add came out and it was sold. But I went and looked at it anyway. I was a tan 68 R/T with a stock 426 hemi  and 4-speed. black interior and black vinyl roof. The owner had used it to tow his boat.

It has in good unrestored condition with 14x7 slot mags and 70 series tires.

Someone got a great!!!!!!!!!!!! deal.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Daytona R/T SE

1981 ? Maybe 1982 ? Not sure. 

In front of the local General tire store sat a Superbird.

Painted flat black, with streaks of bright yellow showing through.

No wing on it.

Nose was on it.

I stopped to look at it.

The guy came out and said  "The wing is in the trunk ...I took it off"

"The Six-pack is in the trunk too"

"It runs better with the holley 4 barrel on it"

I said "How much do you want for it?

He said "$2500"

I said "You're fucking crazy"

And I  got back in my Maverick and drove away...

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

justin1987

Back in about 1989 my dad passed on the opportunity to buy a 1969 Daytona. It was a yellow 440-4 speed car. The car was still in really good condition. The sad thing was the guy only wanted $1,200 for it.

The car belonged to a friend of my dads. He bought it in about 1974 when they were in high school. It had 100,000 miles on it, but about 150,000 on the back wheels. They used to smoke the tires at every stop sign. The guy drove it up until about 1982 and then parked it behind the barn and it sat there until he sold it. I think some guy from the eastern part of the United States ended up buying it.

Chad L. Magee

I have a few that haunt me, but I still count my blessings for what I got.  The one that bothers me the most as a Mopar is a specific burnt orange 1970 Charger RT/SE, V-code, 4-speed that fellow high school kid had.  If I remember right, it was a factory sunroof car and did have the luggage rack on the back (which I found rather odd at the time).  It was his parents old car, so they gave it to him when he got his drivers license.  Unfortunately, he did not let me know that he was tired of the car and sold it at a local Farm & Ranch reality auction for $800 back in the mid 90s.  It was a running car needing restored (mostly to fix the rust in the quarters/trunk area).  When I asked him about it, he told me he needed money for a Japanese motorcycle "to save on gas" while attending KSU......

As for others that bother me, in no particular order:

real rough 1965 GT350 shell sitting out in a field (sold before I could get money together), a friend found it during a hunting trip a full year before he told me about it (slipped his mind he said), during that time the landowner died and the relatives sold off his stuff......

1968 COPO L89 396, 4-speed Camaro (basic stripper car in white for $6000 complete), might have been a dealership drag car at one time....

1968 Firebird 400 ram air, 4-speed for $2000 (same owner as the car above)

1967 Mustang fastback 390 GTA

1969 Camaro RS/SS 396, 4-speed body (sold in newspaper for $50 one minute before I called, owner wanted only the drivetrain for his speed boat)

1970 Yenko Duece Nova (350 LT1, 4-speed)

The list goes on.   :icon_smile_blackeye: If only I could have gotten them.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

426HemiCharger

1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

bullit68

i've got a few.about 1991 i was offered a 69 hemi gtx body,b7 blue,blue interior,auto,pw,dana 60 4.10.needed quarter panels and a resto...$1500.00.i said no because i really wanted a hemi charger.stupid!i even had a hemi engine at the time too.around the same time i bought a 70 charger rt 440 4 spd car.complete,running,driving car which later turned out to be all numbers matching.it had some rear body damage that scared me at the time.i think about it now and shake my head.it was plum crazy purple.i sold it for the same $1200.00 i paid for it a week later.a friend bought it and cut it up to make a "one lap of america"race car.you might have seen it in mopar action in the early nineties,they did a small feature on it.70 340 4 spd cuda,really nice driver,$4500.00.70 440-6 cuda $3200.00.i could go on and on.

69bronzeT5

I got a bit of a story. Since we first moved to the Island in May 2002, I was watching a black w/ white stripe '74 Roadrunner rot away in prickle bushes on a native reserve. It disspeared into the bushes more and more as time went on. I eventually forgot about it. Well, went by a couple of months ago and it's gone now. The guy's yard is full of cars (all 80s etc) and the Roadrunner was the only cool thing there. Figures that it's the only one that is gone now. :rotz: It looked exactly like this but more beat up...

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rallyecharger

Back in '98 I was in my old neighborhood still keeping an eye on the one owner '69 Charger R/T S.E that I had faithfully been watching/asking about since '88. Well the owner was home so I asked once more and he said yes and we agreed to a price of $2500. I told him I will be back after the weekend with the cash as my Buddy was getting married that weekend and I was in the wedding party.......well one of the owners distant relatives found out and scooped it on me!! :brickwall:
  Now whenever I go anywhere I carry some cash and blank bills of sale...

C_stripes

Back in 1999, I bought 5 66 Chargers from a guy, one of which was a HEMI car. The guy also had a 70 V code 4spd Charger R/T that was factory white that I could have bought for $5500 and a running driving orig burnt orange 70 Challenger T/A I could have bought for $15k. I was only 16 at the time and there was no way I could have came up with that money.

I also turned down a factory triple black 70 Charger R/T 4spd dana car that needed 1/4's and an engine for $800 when I was 15. My Dad wouldn't let me get it.  :brickwall: :brickwall:

There are many others that I have passed on or didn't have the funds at the moment.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

70rt

71 Cuda, 383 4sp, pistol grip, orange, w/ white/black interior. 50k miles, Michigan car. $3500.00 1983. Dad was going to help me out but sis needed a divorce instead. Even had the luggage rack on the trunk lid with the little spoiler. What's with the luggage rack anyway?