News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do with heater hose holes?

Started by devilgear, May 06, 2009, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilgear

I have a 400 in my 73 Charger, but I no longer have the heater hoses connected to  the firewall with from the front on the motor...What is the best way to deal with the 2 holes in the motor? Do I need to put in a small hose going from one to the othere, or can I just block them off somehow? Thanks.

Ghoste

You could put threaded plugs in them or a small hose going from one to the other.  It's up to you depending on which look you prefer really as either method will work.  The hose method is perhaps a little cheaper and easier but not by much.

devilgear

Would I have to tap those holes, or is there a thread there allready? I do have the small hose in there now, but it does not look right...

Ghoste

As I recall, the nipples for the hoses are threaded in there on a big block but as an fyi you can expect to have some hassle getting them out.  :icon_smile_wink:

devilgear

Great, more trouble? I must love trouble because I have an old car I am putting together?..hahahah....So I do not have to have a hose there right? I can just block it off?

John_Kunkel

B bodies of that era have two different heater hose sizes, 1/2" out and 5/8" in so it's kinds hard to just connect the nipples with a hose.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

FLG

As i recall they are threaded. And honestly maybe it was a stroke of luck but they came out for me with no problem...and trust me, i NEVER have that kind of luck. When im changing the smallest part, it usually winds up being me running to the hardware store just before they close for a new nut or bolt.

devilgear

But it is ok just to block the hole then right? I won't have a overheat issue if I just plug them up?

A383Wing

Easiest way is to go to local auto part store and get a couple of the hose nipple rubber caps and hose clamp them on. You shouldn't have an overheat issue...the water pump has a small by-pass hole inside...

I did this to my Charger and ran it for over a year when I had the heater assembly out of it

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on May 06, 2009, 09:44:58 PM
Easiest way is to go to local auto part store and get a couple of the hose nipple rubber caps and hose clamp them on. You shouldn't have an overheat issue...the water pump has a small by-pass hole inside...

I did this to my Charger and ran it for over a year when I had the heater assembly out of it

Only problem with rubber caps and clamps is that it looks kind of trashy.Get the correct size pipe plugs and put them in,all holes are threaded. :Twocents:

devilgear

Great guys thanks..This is just what I needed to know....

A383Wing

Quote from: 62 Max on May 06, 2009, 10:39:25 PM

Only problem with rubber caps and clamps is that it looks kind of trashy.

That's the way Chrysler did it with the race cars....

Ghoste

Form followed function in that case.