News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 IN!!!!! sound clip

Started by miller, May 05, 2009, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

Gotta love open headers...

but will the backfiring go away once it has more back pressure from mufflers?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=56942220

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

426HemiCharger

50% '68 50% '69?

Sound's nice anyways.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

FLG

It should. Is it running rich?

If its a little rich they tend to do that, also if you have a exhaust leak and any air is coming in along with your exhaust gases the extra oxygen can also cause it do detonate in the exhaust. Mine does it all the time, it isnt rich...ive about given up on figuring it out...plus people thing im shooting at them and run away LOL!!!

Sounds sweet!

grdprx

Sounds pretty bad ass!  I hope to be doing that within a couple months..   :2thumbs:

Kevin68N71

I am willing to bet you have an exhaust leak where your manifolds (or headers) bolt on to the head.  Remember, just because bolts there are tight, doesn't mean it is tight.  Those bolts corrode over time.  And if it WAS loose before, and retightened after a long while, quite often the exhaust manifold has gone paper thin from all the hot blowby and doesn't seal well at all.  What you CAN do is when the car is really cold, start up up and reach around the ports to see if you can feel exhaust "puffing".  You can't always feel it though, but you can try.  The collector is the other place that leaks.  Remember, you can have small holes in pipe bends that you can't see too well at a certain angle.

When I was a kid I used to always be playing around with my timing to try to get rid of "pops", and then of course being absolutely sure it was a "burnt valve" that must be allowing ignition outside the cylinder.  But no, it was the exhaust manifold gasket.  Just took me about two years to figure it out as it wasn't really loud.  A certain kind of exhaust leak can sound like a valve tapping too.

It should not be popping, period.  It might take you a while to tune and seal everything, but it shouldn't pop.  I just know tons of Mopars that do, however!
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

miller

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on May 05, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
I am willing to bet you have an exhaust leak where your manifolds (or headers) bolt on to the head.  Remember, just because bolts there are tight, doesn't mean it is tight.  Those bolts corrode over time.  And if it WAS loose before, and retightened after a long while, quite often the exhaust manifold has gone paper thin from all the hot blowby and doesn't seal well at all.  What you CAN do is when the car is really cold, start up up and reach around the ports to see if you can feel exhaust "puffing".  You can't always feel it though, but you can try.  The collector is the other place that leaks.  Remember, you can have small holes in pipe bends that you can't see too well at a certain angle.

When I was a kid I used to always be playing around with my timing to try to get rid of "pops", and then of course being absolutely sure it was a "burnt valve" that must be allowing ignition outside the cylinder.  But no, it was the exhaust manifold gasket.  Just took me about two years to figure it out as it wasn't really loud.  A certain kind of exhaust leak can sound like a valve tapping too.

It should not be popping, period.  It might take you a while to tune and seal everything, but it shouldn't pop.  I just know tons of Mopars that do, however!

The motor was just rebuilt this past winter and it is the first time I have had the car in my possession to make a video... (they broke the cam in and did a couple test drives before this). I am having exhaust put on it this Friday and next Monday they will be doing final adjustments (its too loud to hear if the transmission is running right or tell exactly how the motor is running). I will have the recheck the headers, thanks for the tip. :2thumbs:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

firefighter3931

Congrats....engine sounds nice and healthy !  :2thumbs:

The popping you are hearing is the A/F mixture going lean which happens when you set the carb up for a closed exhaust sytem and then run it on open headers. I wouldn't worry about tuning the carb until after you have the new exhaust sytem installed. Spend time dialing in the fuel curve for the way it will be driven.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tan top

:yesnod:..got to be the finest sound in the world ..... uncorked headers  :dance: :dance:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

FlatbackFanatic

sounds great, nice and loud!!! :icon_smile_tongue:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

69*F5*SE

Open headers sound good.  I bet the neighbors loved them.   :icon_smile_big:

mopar73

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

440charger68

sounds bad ass  :2thumbs: running straights on my 68 318 hahahaha the people who dont know much about cars think its a big block hahah
life's a garden, dig it.

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.