News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I found a mans body today while taking Charger pictures in the desert. !!!!!!!!!

Started by skip68, May 04, 2009, 10:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

One hell of a day.   :rotz:   I took the Charger out of town 7-8 miles to take some pictures of it.   I found a great spot and took one picture as a test photo.   I then needed to use the rest room so I figured I'd run down to the scenic rest stop out at Red Rock.   Now, before I left the spot where I wanted to take pics, I noticed a man in a red 4door truck pulled over about 100ft from me.   He sat in his truck for about 4-5 minutes and then drove off.  I leave 5 minutes later and go to the rest stop for a pee break.  I park the Charger in front of the rest rooms in the red zone and walk to the door of the rest room.  This is the bad part.   :rotz:   I pull the door open and am startled by what I saw.  At first I jumped and then thought it was a dummy.   So, I go in and look closer and realize that this is real.   :rotz:   In the corner of the bathroom sitting with his back up against the wall I saw a man (the same man that I saw down the road 10 minutes before) with a gun in his hand on his lap and covered in blood from his head to his belly.   I could tell that he shot himself on the right side of his head and the bullet came out the left side and put a hole in the wall.  I'm not going to go into anymore details on what I saw, but It was a mess and something you DON'T ever want to see.   :rotz:   Cell phones don't work out there so I tried the Emergency phone that was at the rest stop.  Guess what, it didn't work.   :brickwall:  Finally a worker came by to clean the park and I told him and then he left for the Police.   I stayed there and kept people and kids from going in.   Then I spent several hours out there telling my story a few times and writing a statement.  There was a photographer out there that took some pics of my car and me with the Police.   :rotz:  I will post the picture of the Charger later.    Robert (Muave66) I'm sure this will be on the news tonight.  All and all, a messed up day.   :rotz:    Chuck............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

4cruzin

I feel for you as I too have had an experience like this.  I sell foreclosed properties for a living and you never know what you may find in one of them.   :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

resq302

Damn Chuck.  I am usually on the receiving end of getting that call.  Best thing to do is to talk about it to people or if you feel a lot of stress over it, call the local police dept where it occured as they may offer some kind of post traumatic stress relief.  If ya need someone to talk to, my email and PM box is always open.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Brock Samson

I'm sorry Chuck but at least you kept the folks (and kids) unawares from reciving the same tramatic shock you did.
beyond that words fail...

Todd Wilson

skip68

:cheers:   Thanks.   It took me forever to fill out the statement.  I was a little shakey so I had to write slow.  The thing that I thought was stange is after I told the Police word for word what I did and saw, I still had to fill out the statement WORD FOR WORD just like I told the Police.    :shruggy:   But, I guess if you are the only one around with a guy that was just shot in the head it makes sense that I will get questioned.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Thank's Dave.   :cheers:   Like I told the Police, I'm damn glad my kids are in school and not with me.  We go out there all the time and this is something I would never wan't my kids or any others to see. 

C_stripes

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 04, 2009, 11:03:25 PM
I'm sorry Chuck but at least you kept the folks (and kids) unawares from reciving the same tramatic shock you did.
beyond that words fail...

I agree, can you imagine the trauma that would be for a child to see?  WOW.   Sorry Chuck. You did the right thing though. I am sure that was very hard for you to see.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

4cruzin

It will get easier with time.  I was a little freaked out for a couple days after but then it became easier to deal with.  Now its just another page in the story of life.   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

ChgrSteve67

Your local law enforcement should have a chaplin you can talk to or direct you to a counsler that talks with people that witness situations such as this.

You need to address this and let your brain process it in a way so you don't continue to dwell on it and let it eat at you.

Be glad you found him and not some kid that would have an even harder time trying to deal with it.

You are a good samaritan and did the right thing. Its not your fault and there is nothing you could have done to stop it.  People that really want to end their life will do it no matter what, thank god this person did not take someone along with them. Its just unfortunate that you had to be part of the clean up crew.

I have had to deal with this sort of thing more than a few times, if you need someone to talk to PM me and I will give you my number.

Steve

C_stripes

You know one thing I really love about this place?

When ever someone has any kind of tragedy, there is always people here that will support you and help you. This really is a great community. Sure, everyone has their arguments every once in a wile. But over all. This is an awesome place full of awesome people.

Thanks to all of you.
:cheers:
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

mikesbbody

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 04, 2009, 11:06:25 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures!   :icon_smile_big:

LOL seriously though, sorry you had to see that! good of you to stay there making sure no kids saw that.
Im sure it wasnt something you want to come across anytime soon.

Manfred318

That is pretty crazy. I wouldnt have been as cool headed as you.  I commend you good sir. You did the right thing :yesnod: I can only imagine what kind things must have been going thru your head.

Quote from: C_stripes on May 04, 2009, 11:18:33 PM
You know one thing I really love about this place?

When ever someone has any kind of tragedy, there is always people here that will support you and help you. This really is a great community. Sure, everyone has their arguments every once in a wile. But over all. This is an awesome place full of awesome people.

Thanks to all of you.
:cheers:

:iagree:
Well said C-stripes :2thumbs:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

skip68

Thanks Steve.   :cheers:   I guess this is a way to talk about it.   I don't know who the photographer was that was there.  She said some news media site or something.   :rotz:  So I'll be looking for it because she took pics of my Charger blocked by Police with me sitting on the pushbar.    :rotz:   This was a well dressed man in his 60's with a nice fairly new truck.   :rotz:   I did see a paper next to him that was a suicide note.  I did not read it, I just closed the door and waited for the Police.  I'm sure I'll be fine, but I will probably wake up a few times tonight with bad dreams.    :rotz:     I did take a cool picture of my car just before this went down and I'll get my wife to post it.  That's why I was out there anyway.  

skip68

Brock Samson

for what it's worth, several years ago now, I found a dead guy behind the wheel of his blinged out Caprice right in front of my house - shot in the back of the head,..
It was a drug deal gone bad... a few weeks later the local kids told me all about it,..
wasn't too bloody though, cause they shot down his neck from the back seat with  a small caliber, like a 22,.. it was at midnight as i drove home from work when I couldn't get around his ideling car to get in my driveway...  yeah, shit does happen, so lets all be glad we're all decent law abiding citizens...  :Twocents:
Also this tanking economy is hitting some folks really really hard, it's a good thing you didn't read that note...
it's none of your business nor do you want it to be... you were just the next guy in line.  :-\

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

WINGR

Sorry to hear that you had to see that Chuck, you are to be commended for doing what you did. As others had said this would be even harder for a kid to deal with you. Our prayers go out to you, take care and remember you have a large support group here.

WINGR

Ghoste

Wow, just wow!  It's a testament to you that you're able to keep your cool about it Chuck.

TruckDriver

I saw a dump truck right in front of me get pasted by a train going 45mph a few years ago. It happen next to a gravel pit we were coming out of. Me and a loader operator were the first ones to the truck to see if we could save him. He was alive, but there was nothing we could do, and he did die. Wasn't real messy, but it shook me up pretty good. Took me a while to get over the fact that there really wasn't anything I could do, even though, I kept thinking if I did something different, I could of prevented his death. The accident ran through my head for about 6 months every night and day. Even though, today, it is still fresh in my mind like yesterday, I have learned to cope with it. Ironically, almost a year to the day, a guy I know, got hit by a train there too. He lived, but half of his skull is now steel plating.

You did all you could do. And for  that, I commend you :cheers:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Rolling_Thunder

Have seen a couple bodies -  Head on accident between a Porsche Carerra and a 69 Road Runner.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 05, 2009, 12:29:24 AM
Have seen a couple bodies -  Head on accident between a Porsche Carerra and a 69 Road Runner.

When was that?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on May 05, 2009, 12:44:30 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 05, 2009, 12:29:24 AM

When was that?

damn   must have been 6 years ago ?   Guy and wife in the RR were driving home from Hot August Nights up in Reno and collided with the Porsche at night on a windy road...    Porsche driver fell asleep at the wheel....     all four died.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ozziemoparnut

That sucks mate wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I had a person leave me a suicide note under my door when I was over in the UK had only know the guy for about 4mths was a decent guy with a few issues, I thought he was just taking the piss so I went to his room found the door locked so I got a little concerned grabbed some other mates kicked the door in to find that he had consumed granulated pool chlorine and his insides were now on the outside, worst thing I have ever seen and I will never forget it    

TheGhost

If people want to kill themselves, fine, but at least be neat about it.  Think about the poor bastard that's gotta clean up the mess.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.