News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smoke From Upper Steering Column

Started by bordin34, March 19, 2009, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I was stopped at a light in the car today and noticed some smoke coming out of the upper part of the steering column, right where the wheel meets the column. What would this most likely be? The turn signal switch and harness or ignition one. If I replace one, should I do both at the same time? Does it pay to get the Chrysler parts instead of aftermarket?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

4aThrill

well does anything work after the smoke?  :popcrn: have you taken anything apart yet I would start there  :pity:

bordin34

Everything works fine, just randomly smoked. But, where there's smoke there's fire or could be.

Mahwah,NJ

BigBlockSam

my  dodge ram pickup did that . it was the igntion switch
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bordin34

Did it ever spontaneously combust ?
Edit- I am looking at these two parts to replace what I have.
ACDELCO Part # C1459 {#88921978} Ignition Switch
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TW7 Turn Signal

Mahwah,NJ

4aThrill

hey since your gonna have it apart might aswell change them both other then change one then later on the other one goes but the parts today are not like what they used to be  :eek2:

Foreman72

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 19, 2009, 08:26:14 PM
my  dodge ram pickup did that . it was the igntion switch

that was my first thought... :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

BigBlockSam

QuoteDid it ever spontaneously combust

no, but when i got home and parked the truck . it wouldn't start again
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

b5blue

Once the magic smoke is released on anything you are screwed. Find and fix before you end up with toasted dash!!!!   

4aThrill

Quote from: b5blue on March 20, 2009, 09:40:45 AM
Once the magic smoke is released on anything you are screwed. Find and fix before you end up with toasted dash!!!!   

that does not sound good no matter where you are  :rotz:  meaning if that would of happened somewhere else than at home that would of sucked

b5blue

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

acelondon

hey Beer, what caused that? ign switch? mine was smoking just like the start of this thread, but i was at home, so i shut down and pulled that battery. The connector in your hand was hot, but that god not melted yet. i caught it in time.

BTW, my 318 is gonna be a 402 stroker just like yours. i have the same car you started with but a 74. Same color and all!

b5blue

Jeeze! That looks like something went to dead short! Calling Dr. Natcho!  :o Have you done any mods to the system? I wonder if something came apart in the switch?

FLG

With beers it looks like the wire for the blower motor  :scratchchin:

acelondon

ignition for sure. i got burnt by that plug today. *counts wires in burn on hand* yep that's it! :nana:

b5blue

That's it!Now I'm putting my new switch in the column this week!(I know mine has been working hard since Aug. 69!)