News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Three wiper motor questions, 1968

Started by bull, March 17, 2011, 07:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Does anyone sell a correct grommet kit?

Is the two-speed motor for a 68 supposed to be all black?

Where do I get a new one of these?

BananaDan

I found two people when looking for my new motor.  Jules Daddio in Canada (http://www.julesdaddio.com/) and Kim Leger (http://www.passion4mopars.com/).  I have heard good things about Jules, but I decided to go with Kim because she's in the US as am I.  She has been great to work with, and knows A LOT about wiper motors.  Even if you don't need to buy one she will likely not have a problem talking to you and answering questions.  Sometimes we spoke for 30-40 minutes! I think she gets lonely in her shop all day and enjoys human interaction.   :icon_smile_big: 

Either way, both will likely have answers to your questions and can rebuild your motor or take yours in on core trade and sell you a proper one.  I can only personally vouch for Kim and I haven't worked with Jules.  My new motor comes in early next week, I can share a pic if you want to see Kim's work.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Passion4Mopars

Dang wish I'd taken photos of your motor before it left here  LOL

Thanks for the kind words and on occasion you snagged me when I was taking a break and needed the "down time" for abit, thus the talks...but if someone needs my time and has questions, I'm never too busy to try to assist.

BananaDan

I figured Kim, you were a big help with my motor.  Thanks for your time, and I can't wait to see it!
:2thumbs:
Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Passion4Mopars

bull, you looking for the resistor or the resistor and bracket?  No one I'm aware of makes the rubber grommets (cone shaped) for the two speeds, although I've really not checked around extensively.  Usually those can be saved without tearing or breaking them in the resto process

bull

Quote from: Passion4Mopars on March 19, 2011, 03:59:28 PM
bull, you looking for the resistor or the resistor and bracket?  No one I'm aware of makes the rubber grommets (cone shaped) for the two speeds, although I've really not checked around extensively.  Usually those can be saved without tearing or breaking them in the resto process

I'd like to have both the resistor and the bracket. Also, I was careful when removing the grommets but they were pretty shot. One of them is almost in two pieces now but I still have them all. Not sure what to do about that problem. What are these? http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Housing-Grommets_p_25.html

Passion4Mopars

actually those are 3 speed wiper grommets, but we HAVE used those for the 2 speeds when in a dire pinch and the ones coming out were dry rotted and damaged.  The metal insert in the 2 speed motors is so long that you can actually get away with taking three speed grommets, cutting one lip off each and "stacking" them.  The insert holds them together and usually the "split" is hidden...sometimes you have to improvise or run through a boat load of cores trying to find a good set to substitute on one that's being restored.

I probably have the resistor and bracket on an old core, although I'm not sure I have any brackets currently that are already plated (yellow zinc)  I do have a load of plating, 73 cylinders and other misc. components, going on Monday, so if you get with me on this I can find a bracket that's not too pitted and wouldn't plate well and send it with my load?  I usually have my plating returned in 4-7 days...

Email me kim@passion4mopars.com or give me a call if  you want me to work that into the stuff that's being dropped off.  If plating on the bracket isn't a big concern to ya, all I gotta do is a core dig and find something for ya?

bull

I have a two speed motor. Aren't these motors all the same up to like the late 70s or early 80s?

Passion4Mopars

The concealed two speeds began in 71 for the B bodies.  So actually there's several different two speed wiper motors.  You have the Leece Nevilles, The General Industry two speeds.  68 was an odd year for wiper motors on B bodies until about mid 68, (those were the non concealed units), then in 71 they went to the concealed units.  Sometimes I get someone with an early 68 build date and we go through the is it black and aluminum, is it the standard black that sits perpendicular to the firewall, does it have a white switch plate, does it have 3 or 4 wires into the bulkhead connector....trying to find out which motor is on the car...

I can set you up with the resistor and the bracket and probably grommets for the 2 speed that are in better condition than yours.  Do you want the bracket plated or not??

Shoot Jerry an email at the Orange City shop and he can pull the components you need from his inventory since he's sitting on the 2 speed mother load between our two shops    a440plus6@gmail.com

bull

I've got an early 68 (Jan) but I don't think I had the original motor. I definitely don't now so I'm playing the mix and match game with Autozone until I get one that looks decent enough to restore.

Quote from: Passion4Mopars on March 20, 2011, 06:49:44 PM
The concealed two speeds began in 71 for the B bodies.  So actually there's several different two speed wiper motors.  You have the Leece Nevilles, The General Industry two speeds.  68 was an odd year for wiper motors on B bodies until about mid 68, (those were the non concealed units), then in 71 they went to the concealed units. 

I've been looking at some wiper motors on ebay and many look identical to the one I currently have as well as many others I've seen identified as being for a 68. Here's one said to be for an 84 Daytona. It looks just like mine other than the color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Mopar-1984-Dodge-Daytona-2-speed-wiper-motor-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e18edbfaQQitemZ360266521594QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Passion4Mopars

bull, it gets confusing on which motor came on the car.  I can't say for certain that the one on ebay will work for you.   Besides the motor, the second key component in your set up is going to be the crank arm because that will determine the travel and the park position.  That motor on ebay being for a later model car, Daytona, etc. may have a transmission output shaft that may or may not fit the proper crank arm for your application.  I don't know because I don't mess with anything too much later than 74, although on occasion I do have someone with a 78 from Europe contact me about something for a Monaco, etc.

I can post some photos of what possibly would have been on the car, or I can say, hey....I can resto a two speed core I have here and provide the proper crank arm for an early 68 Charger and if you have a two speed switch in the car, you're off to the races instead of having to keep trying the mix and match until you find one that works?

In the photos, a Leece Neville, a General Industries, a common two speed (often times changed to a 3 speed when someone changes engine to a 440  6 pak because air cleaner will not fit with the standard two speed) in which case I normally build then the last motor, which is a 2889982 (style because on this one the customer was on a budget and I built the style he needed but didn't incur the cost of the actual part number/date code scenario) 3 speed.  The LN and GI motors look the same if they're two speed or three speed, thus is there 3 or 4 wires going into the bulkhead connection.  Three wires is a two speed, four wires is a three speed...

If you want to, give me a shout, dial my number, shoot me an email and I GUARANTEE we can fix you up and you'll have a lifetime warranty on the motor for as long as you own the car...that's a warranty on every component we restore.  

BananaDan

I got my new motor from Kim today.  It looks great!

Dan

Passion4Mopars

Thanks Dan!  Glad you're happy with it.  If there's anything else I can help ya with, don't forget my name and number  LOL     ;D

1970Moparmann

Kim does awesome work!!! :2thumbs:

Need to send down another motor for some work! :scratchchin:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Passion4Mopars

I have 75 cylinders at the plater that were dropped off Thursday and they're ready to pick up....I'm ready    :icon_smile_wink: