News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone got a source for a non-A/C heater squirrel cage (fan)? FOUND IT!

Started by bull, May 04, 2009, 07:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm talking about the fan wheel itself. I went to Napa today because they told me they had a squirrel cage that would work for the heater box in my 68 but when I got there they showed me a plastic POS that was twice the width and half the diameter of the one I need.

Anyway, where can I get a new metal one that works?

Hemidog

Is the fan for non-ac metal? cause the A/C box has a plastic fan.

bull

Quote from: Hemidog on May 05, 2009, 06:09:10 AM

As far as I know the one I have is supposed to be metal but I had a hard time getting it through the parts guy's melon that I have a non-A/C car, thus the wasted trip to Napa.

bull

:bump:

Anyone?

I think I may have found a possible match with a 72-78 Dodge truck application but the fins might rotate the opposite direction. We'll find out later today.

A383Wing

My 66 AC fan is metal, not plastic...

Bull....I'll look this weekend for a fan if you are still needing one...non-AC, right?

Bryan

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 21, 2009, 08:31:40 PM

My 66 AC fan is metal, not plastic...

Bull....I'll look this weekend for a fan if you are still needing one...non-AC, right?

Bryan

Right, non-A/C. I worked on mine today and got it straightened out pretty good but there's still a tiny bit of a wobble, which is not good.

The bozos at Baxter Auto Parts called me at 6:30 last night to tell me the new fan wheel had arrived and I got there at 6:55 to find the doors locked. That pissed me off so I called them and they tried to tell me their clocks said 7 pm. BS! My car radio said 6:55 and my satellite-updated cell phone said 6:55 and when I got home my satellite clock read the same. A-holes just wanted to go home early. It wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't just driven 20 minutes for the sole purpose of getting this part. :flame:

A383Wing

Hey bull, this what ya need? It's a little rusty, cage held on shaft by a threaded nut...

Let me know

Bryan

bull

Bryan,

That might be close but it's the opposite rotation. That one of yours is designed to operate turning clockwise.

Here are the correct specs:

Diameter - 5 3/4"
Width - 2 7/8"
Offset - 13/16"
Shaft diameter - 5/16"
Counterclockwise rotation

I actually found a new one today (the one that was ordered yesterday in my story above) and it is correct. Gotta hand it to Baxter, they really came through for me after those two guys locked me out early. I sent the company an email about it and they were all over it to make things right. I didn't complain to get a freebie but they gave me the part for free anyway. I told them I just wanted to make sure this didn't happen again and the store manager bent over backwards to take care of it.

Anyway, I got the new wheel through Baxter Auto Parts and it's a Four Seasons brand, P/N 35604. Their book listed it under 75-79 Chrysler and 72-78 Dodge Truck. However, when you look it up on the Four Seasons website (www.4s.com) it says it's for a 75-79 Chrysler Cordoba or a 72-78 Dodge van. :shruggy: Oh, and it's made in Texas, not China.
Pics below...

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2009, 07:16:07 PM
Bryan,

That might be close but it's the opposite rotation. That one of yours is designed to operate turning clockwise.

Interesting...I know it came out of a Charger heater box....guess I'll test the rotation on it tomorrow...glad ya got what ya needed

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 22, 2009, 08:17:41 PM
Quote from: bull on May 22, 2009, 07:16:07 PM
Bryan,

Interesting...I know it came out of a Charger heater box....guess I'll test the rotation on it tomorrow...glad ya got what ya needed

What year box did it come out of and was it off a non-A/C car?

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2009, 09:00:41 PM

What year box did it come out of and was it off a non-A/C car?

First generation Charger, I'm sure...and yea, non-AC car...I also have a motor & cage fan from a factory AC car sitting here as well.....and they are different, motor & cage

Bryan

bull

In that case I'm guessing that 1st and 2nd gen heater boxes are different. :shruggy:

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2009, 10:44:15 PM
In that case I'm guessing that 1st and 2nd gen heater boxes are different. :shruggy:

Not that I know of...they should all be the same....maybe this ain't out of a "B" body car...I have 3 "A" body motors here...way smaller....I'll have to double check the one in the picture above as to exactly what it fits....

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 23, 2009, 12:20:00 AM
Quote from: bull on May 22, 2009, 10:44:15 PM

Not that I know of...they should all be the same....maybe this ain't out of a "B" body car...I have 3 "A" body motors here...way smaller....I'll have to double check the one in the picture above as to exactly what it fits....

That plate your wheel is bolted to is a lot smaller than the one that came off of my box. The one for the 68 is part of a larger cover:

A383Wing

OK..I see your nice new shiny wheel now...how is it held on the motor shaft? Set screw?

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 23, 2009, 05:58:00 PM
OK..I see your nice new shiny wheel now...how is it held on the motor shaft? Set screw?

Yes, an allen set screw. You can see it in the third pic I posted above.

A383Wing

OK...then I did have the correct cage for you...it's on an AC motor...did not get a chance to look at the one I posted above...

So, guess maybe the motor & cage I posted will go away...in the garbage....guess it ain't for a Mopar that I own.

At least ya got the right one now

elacruze

My squirrel cage is...eaten by squirrels.

Anybody got? A/C box, plastic fan...I can measure and pic later.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.