News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheels and tires..?

Started by Charger500, November 14, 2005, 04:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger500

I am starting to think about wheel and tires. I am thinking about Crager SS with a set of BF's all the way around. I was thinking of one size all the way around also. I was wondering what you guys have done...any pics would be great.

Thanks!

8WHEELER

I think there is a lot of us that run the same combo I have on my red car, 275-60x15 rear and 245-60x15 front.
Rims are 15x8 rear 15x7 front. They have plenty of clearance and drives great. You can also see in this picture
how much lower my car is from stock and I still have no clearance problems.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

RTPTRON

I run the same tires in the same sizes as Dan but my wheels are American Racing Torque Thurst II.  They are fairly light Alloy wheels.  The rear wheels are 15X8 and the fronts are 15x7

will

What is the back spacing on these wheels? There was a god tech article about this on the old site. Anybody know how to retrieve it. I modded my brakes to 4 wheel disc and am having trouble determining wheel selection. I like the torque thrust 'D' s with the darker finish on the mag part of the wheel. I'm just at the wrong stage in the game to buy wheels. Start too many things at once and it is snowballing out of control.  :icon_smile_big:

ChargerBill

SWEEET image Dan!!

RTPTRON, sorry, your picture doesn't cut it. There's half the car missing and with a car as sweet as that we need to see more pics. Got any?

Charger500, IMO (and many other agree) you really don't want to go the same size all the way around. The size for the front will be too small for the big wheel openings in the rear and the car will look like an elephant on skates (read that in a mag, but it applys here)....of course, this doesn't apply to stock restorations where the tires were the same size from the factory. Chargers need big meat out back or they look awkward. This 275 out back and 245 front combo is tried and true and you can't go wrong. If you want something closer to the same diameter (but still big and littles) then 295/50/15's also fit, but you will need to get offset specs from guys who have them on their cars. 295/50/15's are wider, but are also shorter than 275/60/15's.
Life is a highway...

Smoke20

I have the 275/245 deal that Charger bill is talking about, and I love how it looks.
Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

haueter66

can you do the 275 / 245 deal if you have 15x7's all the way around?

Charger4404spd

275's and 235's
15x8  and 15x6
Wished I had gotten different wheels though, everyone around here has TT II's.

48chebbie

i ordered american racing torq-thrust originals (TTO's) 15X8 1/2 and 255/60 BFG's all the way around for my 72 satellite. i like the TTO's because they look just like the originals back in the day. the spokes are not as dark a gray,and they have the old spoke shape,where the "D"s have a more rounded spoke,and a very dark gray color on them.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

bcharger

I got the same info from these guys here 275/60/15 with 15x8's and 245/60/15 with 15x7's and it looks awesome..

71charger_fan

"can you do the 275 / 245 deal if you have 15x7's all the way around?"

Yes, but the 275s mount better on the 8" rims. I ran my 275/60, 255/60 combo on four Mopar 15x7 police rims for years before I finally bought my American Racing.

http://www.moparmuscle69.com/1971chargerterry.htm

GTX

I have the 275/245 combo with the same size wheels everyone is talking about with the TTII's for the Charger but on the GTX I have 295/50's on back on a 10" Cragar S/S wheel. It just barely sort of fits and I don't recommend it, I personally don't like it mostly due to the 50 series profile and would gladly sell off the rear tires/wheels.   I only did it thinking of putting max rubber onto the street with a blown motor but there are better options that I should have done in hindsight. :rotz:

Charger500

Thanks! You all really helped. I think I am going to go with the 275's in the rear with the 245's up front.

Charger500

GTX

Oh, I thought you meant 275's in front and 245's in back!   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Charger1970

Like a lot of other guys I have 15x8's with 275's on the back. I went big on the front though with 15x 7's and 255/60-15's. Here's a pic.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

71charger_fan

The same size wheels and tires can look remarkably different from car to car. I saw an early 70s Vette in a parking lot that had tires that seemed huge. I thought I needed tires that big on the Charger and went over to see what size they were. They were 255/60-15s. I already had them on the front of my car and, believe me, they look much larger on a Vette.

BLAM

Picture I took in PA.  I was gathering data for my ride.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Chryco Psycho

I am not a fan of Crager SS , they are a 2 piece wheel & tend to peel the chrome off the center spokes after a couple of years & they use a Unilug design & often vibrate as they will not center properly & the lugs tend to come loose on them , I also prefer most other tires over BFG , they are not a high quality tire

471_Magnum

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 30, 2005, 04:01:19 PM
I am not a fan of Crager SS , they are a 2 piece wheel & tend to peel the chrome off the center spokes after a couple of years & they use a Unilug design & often vibrate as they will not center properly & the lugs tend to come loose on them ,

Don't forget that they are also really freakin' heavy.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

THE COLONEL

I have 15x7 in the front and 15x8.5 in the rear and run 245/60's all the way around.  I was a little worried about the clearance when they went on, but it was fine and they look great.  Lotsa meat!
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

derailed

Quote from: Charger1970 on December 28, 2005, 11:16:11 PM
Like a lot of other guys I have 15x8's with 275's on the back. I went big on the front though with 15x 7's and 255/60-15's. Here's a pic.
Charger1970 that car has a great stance. I think thats a perfect rim and tire combo especially in the front. Do you have any clearance issues with them? Whats the backspacing on your rims and what kind and size tires are you running if you dont mind me asking?

MikeD

I have 225 60 with 7" in front and 275 60  8" in the rear

Mike

troy.70R/T

What are some of your guys back spacings. I have 4 15X8.5 slotted mags with 3.375 inch back spacing and I was planning on putting them all the way around my 70 charger. I have had the rims on the front and don't seem to have any clerance issues so that is why I am askink why all of you guys seem to have the 7 inch wide ones on the front? So if anyonw has a pic of their charger wiht 15 X 8.5 slotted mags on it I would appreciate it if you would post some pics and tire sizes. I also have a set o 15X10 slots that I am going to put on the back every once and awhile just for a little something diffrent and was wondering if anyone had some tire size sugestions. I have seen some295/50/15 but I really dont want them hanging out and chipping up the paint cause they are throwing rocks. The 10 inch wide rims have a 3.5 back spacing.  Any thought and pics will be appreciated. Thanks Troy

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 30, 2005, 04:01:19 PM
I am not a fan of Crager SS , they are a 2 piece wheel & tend to peel the chrome off the center spokes after a couple of years & they use a Unilug design & often vibrate as they will not center properly & the lugs tend to come loose on them , I also prefer most other tires over BFG , they are not a high quality tire

My Satellite will get Cragars and BFGs...    Gor 225/60/15 and 255/60/15's and all four wheels for free so I can't argue with that   :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

troy.70R/T

I hear alot of complaints about the BF Goodrich Radial T/A. So what are all of you guys running that don't like the T/A's?  The tire combo of (front 245/60/15) or (255/60/15) is not made buy every tire manufacture. also the rear 275/60/15 is still made by some but not others. So what is everyone running that does not have the T/A's

derailed

Alot of people are running the Cooper Cobra GT which come in all the popular sizes. Im in the market myself and ive been looking at them and Dunlops.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

troy.70R/T

Thanks Nitro I will check them out. Anyone else have a certian Tire that the like over the T/A's??

Brock Samson

last i researched (2 yrs ago) for the BSG (road runner) i was gonna go with the Firestone Firehawks as they were tested as superior in a comparo chart... but i've been running dunlops for 25 years... on the old school muscle and my vans.

troy.70R/T

I have the Firestone Indy Firehawks on my 69 GMC and think they are great. But I really don't care for the way the white letters look. I have them turned in on my truck but was thinking about having the white letters out on my Charger. I checked out the Some pics on the 70 Charger registry and seen a few people running Goodyear Eagle GTII"s and some just GT. I looked at Trie rack .com but they don't make these in 245/60/15. I was thinking about the 255/60/15 whick they do make but am still a little concerned about them rubbing. I am running 8 inch wide rims on the front though too. Anyone have any coments on the Goodyear Eagle GT Tires. Please let me know good or bad as I would like to buy the tires next weekend.

suntech

235/60 on 8x15 front, 295/50 on 10x 15, with 4,5 inch backspace. Cooper Cobras. Need rolled lips to avoid rubbing.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!