News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best car cover and full canopy shelter?

Started by 69bronzeT5, May 03, 2009, 06:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Since we're moving in August and the current garage is too small, I need to buy a car cover (outdoor) and a good full canopy shelter (all sides covered) for the Charger until we build the new garage. Any suggestions?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Old Moparz

I used a 12' x 20' arched style, "Cover-It" brand for about 5 years before I built my shop. Once I was done using it, I gave it to a friend & he had it up for another 5 years with the original, tarp-like material that it came with. He had no trouble either. The fabric did develop some pin holes in it after the first 18 months, but it wasn't deteriorating like a cheap tarp does. It wasn't cheap like the ones you see in catalogs like Harbor Freight, it was about $550 delivered, & that was like 15 years ago.

Some people have complained about them, but mine has had upwards of 8 to 10 inches of snow on it without any structural issues. The trick is to prepare the spot your placing it to be extremely flat. If the ground isn't flat, you won't get the frame to sit square & the fabric cannot be pulled tightly like a drum. If the fabric gets wrinkled or has sags, it'll hold the snow, plus the wind will catch it & move it constantly & it'll wear out where it touches the metal frame. I always broomed the snow off & never let it sag.

Mine was the dark green & had the double zipper on the door (one on the left edge & one on the right) which lets you roll the door up, use a spring clamp to keep it there so you can get the car in & out without rubbing along the way. I put pressure treated timber on the ground under the base of the frame. Then I put plastic on the ground with a couple of inches of gravel on top to keep ground moisture from evaporating onto the ceiling & then dripping on the car. I also cut a hole in each end panel & put a louvered vent in so the air circulated better.

Looks like it's not called "Cover-It" anymore, but now called "Shelter Logic". http://www.shelterlogic.com/garages/

They can get hot in the sun & sometimes humid inside, but it served a temporary purpose & worked well.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Sublime/Sixpack

Wolf Automotive's Noah cover through Summit Racing.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Martian R/T

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on May 04, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
Wolf Automotive's Noah cover through Summit Racing.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I just received mine, it is the best fitting cover I have seen on a Charger, the pattern from wolf is exact, the cover fits like a glove. :Twocents:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

BigBlockSam

QuoteWolf Automotive's Noah cover through Summit Racing.

:iagree:   :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TeeWJay426

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

69bronzeT5

I've learned from your experience ;) Everytime it snows I'll be out there to clean it off. Hopefully it won't be under there for too long.

bull

As far as a shelter goes you could get the outdoor version of this: http://www.carcapsule.com/ Actually you wouldn't need a car cover if you went this route, and the price is less than one of those $800-$1,000 shelters you see for sale everywhere.

This one is not quite $600: http://garage-toys.com/ca20fotaoufr.html

PocketThunder

How much is a self storage rental at a nearby location?  $20 a month... $30 a month?  maybe spend $360 on that for a year while you build a garage instead of a temporary unit.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69bronzeT5

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 05, 2009, 02:58:26 PM
How much is a self storage rental at a nearby location?  $20 a month... $30 a month?  maybe spend $360 on that for a year while you build a garage instead of a temporary unit.

I'd like to walk out and do some work on it on nice days without having to drive. That and I don't get my full licence until October. ;)

mopar_nut_440_6

Cody,

I have been using one of those Costco 220 dollar shed for a few years and have had no problems. You do need to keep them down in the wind or it will destroy them. I placed each foot in a 10 gallon bucket and then filled with sand. This has worked great. I also always keep the majority of the snow off. This will get you by if you take these steps.

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Foreman72

not to hijack cody but if i may...what is a good cover to use if the car will be in a crappy, old, not air tight ect garage? should i just spring for the noah cover and plan on using it in the future as well? i just want something that is gonna keep is safe and not result in a huge "o crap" when its gets taken out from under the cover u kno...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

BigBlockSam

QuoteThis one is not quite $600:

i have an outdoor car capsule . it works well  but it is a pain in the ass if you plan on working on your car everyday . plus you have to put a cover on the car , then close the capsule on it . i use the capsule to store cars in that i'm not gonna touch for a while . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 06, 2009, 10:54:25 AM

i have an outdoor car capsule . it works well  but it is a pain in the ass if you plan on working on your car everyday . plus you have to put a cover on the car , then close the capsule on it . i use the capsule to store cars in that i'm not gonna touch for a while . Rene

How do the capsules work in an area where it drops to -40 or colder with windchill and get tons of snow (in excess of 6 ft/year sometimes as much as 14ft)? Just curious, not being a smartazz!!  :yesnod:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on May 06, 2009, 01:28:15 PM

How do the capsules work in an area where it drops to -40 or colder with windchill and get tons of snow (in excess of 6 ft/year sometimes as much as 14ft)? Just curious, not being a smartazz!!  :yesnod:

I'm not looking forward to the winters up there :lol:

bull

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on May 06, 2009, 01:28:15 PM

I don't own one but I would imagine (as advertised) the constant air flow would keep it dry and keep the capsule pressurized so that the the outer shell stays tight. That and the fact that the car is parked on it would keep it from blowing away. I would think you'd still want to make sure to keep the snow off the top of it, just as you would a shelter. One other thing I thought of is that if you could put the blower in a climate controlled environment, such as a garage, and pipe the air in from there it would keep it warmer and therefore help keep the snow off the top. But I'm saying that with the assumption that the air can be piped in rather than having the fan right there at the capsule. :shruggy:

BigBlockSam

Quotedon't own one but I would imagine (as advertised) the constant air flow would keep it dry and keep the capsule pressurized so that the the outer shell stays tight. That and the fact that the car is parked on it would keep it from blowing away. I would think you'd still want to make sure to keep the snow off the top of it, just as you would a shelter.

:yesnod:  yea what he said