News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Old, Old timers. When you where Bad, what did yours look like?

Started by cudaken, November 13, 2005, 09:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

I think this is the other HEMI Daytona that was at Indy in 83.

MOPARHOUND!

:)   The 70 Road Runner story.......

Not long after turning 15 in 1982, and having been exiled to drive a 69 Chebby Nova with a 6 cylinder, I was looking for something better to drive.

A guy in my high school told me one day he had seen a 70 Road Runner with a tunnel ram sticking out the hood for sale in a town about 30 miles north of us.

Went to investigate, and found a 70 Road Runner in primer, with a Weiand tunnel ram, two Holley carbs, and two Moroso gold annodized velocity stacks on it (see pic 1).   The 440 had TRW 11.5 to 1 pistons, and a Crower cam they must not make anymore because I can't find it in their catalog.   It had an automatic on the column, with a 3.23 Sure-Grip, and N50(?) Mickey Thompson's on the rear on Cragar S/S rims.   The car had air shocks, but would always bleed off, letting the car down to rub on the rear tires.   Somewhere I still have the guy's ad he had in the window, bragging about the "6-pack heads" it had on it, LOL.   After some negotiation, the guy came off the $2,200, and sold it to me for $1,800, and I went home with what every 15 year-old needs to be driving, a tunnel rammed Road Runner....yikes!.

Drove the car for several months, would run about 105-106mph in the quarter on the Mickey Thompson street tires.   It badly needed a stall converter and some deeper gears to wake up the tunnel ram.   But after about 1500 miles, an adjustable rocker arm came loose, allowing a pushrod to slip off, and an exhaust valve went closed.   The resulting compression from the hot exhaust gas having nowhere to go blew the head gasket between two cylinders, looked like someone had taken a cutting torch to the block and the head.   Head was repaired, but the HP block was considered junk at the time.   A 74 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon became the donor for another 440 block.   Got the engine rebuilt and broke in on an engine stand, but never made it back into the car (will need to be gone through again after setting, what, 21 years   :o , see pic 2.   Dig those vintage M/T valve covers, and the tall valve cover bolts that used to have the long shafts screwed into them with the little "wings" on top).  

Traded the 70 Road Runner body and some parts to my brother for his half interest in   a 69 Road Runner and some parts.   Still have the 70 Road Runner hood with the hole chopped in it somewhere.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

GTX

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on November 30, 2005, 07:25:50 PM

Went to investigate, and found a 70 Road Runner in primer, 11:1 or so pistons and with a Weiand tunnel ram, two Holley carbs, and two Moroso gold annodized velocity stacks on it (see pic 1).  The 440 had TRW 11.5 to 1 pistons, and a Crower cam they must not make anymore because I can't find it in their catalog.  It had an automatic on the column, with a 3.23 Sure-Grip, and N50(?) Mickey Thompson's on the rear on Cragar S/S rims.  The car had air shocks, but would always bleed off, letting the car down to rub on the rear tires. 

Mine was a primer (for a while) '70 GTX with Weiand Tunnel Ram only with Carter's and mine had chrome Mr G stacks.
I had a Crower cam, still have it somewhere.
Also had 3:23 and L60's if memory serves and Cragar S/S wheels.
My airshocks also went down but it took a few days or so.
My car was an auto column car but was changed to pistol grip 4 speed sometime pre 1980. 

Maybe my car was your the other twin to yours.

I could use your cut hood for my blower if it's the cowl hood and if it's already cut.
I cut a flat satellite hood for blower now - see pic in name.

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: GTX on November 30, 2005, 07:55:31 PM
Mine was a primer (for a while) '70 GTX with Weiand Tunnel Ram only with Carter's and mine had chrome Mr G stacks.
I had a Crower cam, still have it somewhere.
Also had 3:23 and L60's if memory serves and Cragar S/S wheels.
My airshocks also went down but it took a few days or so.
My car was an auto column car but was changed to pistol grip 4 speed sometime pre 1980.  

Maybe my car was your the other twin to yours.

I could use your cut hood for my blower if it's the cowl hood and if it's already cut.
I cut a flat satellite hood for blower now - see pic in name.

Sounds like yours also was the "Day 2 style" they talk about nowadays.

Yeah, usually took a few days for my air shocks to bleed down too.

Hadn't planned on selling the chopped cowl hood yet, my brother still has the 70 Road Runner, it sets in a barn after the 383 he put in it went bad in the late 80's.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

cudaken

Dan, after rethinking it was around 1985 maybe 86. Runner was not painted in 1984. Runner had a Hemi Air Clear that I Ahh worked on to fit. OK, butchered. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Sorry the PIC is so bad. It is a PIC of a PIC that I did not scan. Hum, need to try that with some of the David Jones PIC Dan. Still hard to beleive the tight ass bas-tred rebulit a 70 Hemi Cuda with all right hand pistons. :icon_smile_question:

Cuda Ken

PS, extra is Tiff, she is a half a-s replacment of Muff. Not nearly the brains but still cute. Other dog, well if the AKC would Change the name it would be a Hemi Hound! That is Snoya, my departed best friend. Sonya is a Irish Wolfhound, best dog in the world in my books.
I am back

cudaken

440 Fanatic, thanks for sending the PIC as well.

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Sweet Ken, but yeah those stripes  :hah: Just giving you a hard time, that was an 80's thing..

Talk about young and dumb, I never took any pictures of my 68 Charger R/T, but I would race anyone who wanted to run em.  I had the stock 440 Mag in it, well had headers, dual points and a holley 750 double pumper on it, other then that it was stock.  I remember one time I had just gotten done rebuilding the motor and a buddy and I were out drinking in the country, on a foggy night, when I see this guy in a challenger, I just pulled up to BS with him when he asked if I wanted to run em, I was half crocked and said sure lets go.  So I pulled up on the wrong side of the street (remember I said it was foggy and I was half crocked), I let him call it, so when he said go I nailed it - well he pulled out ahead of me cause I was just pretty much sitting there spinning my tires (and remember I said I just got done rebuilding it, I had like 50 miles on the engine at that point), well as soon as I caught traction I shot by him and never saw him the rest of the night.  A couple of days later he was going around telling everyone that I had a "full race" 440 in it (what ever a "full race" is and that is why I beat his 383 so badly.  I used to love beating the carp out of those guys in their 454 chevells, now that was a blast  :boogie:

The Ghoul

wow and they yell at us youngsters for wild graphics
here is me with the firebird that started it all for me... I know im not an old old timer but what the hell give this about 20 years and it will be just as funny as vest boy (sorry ken   :icon_smile_big: )

Ghoste

ramit

GTX

Ah!

I found an old pic of the GTX from 1981.
This was taken a day or two after I bought it. Check out the nice dent in the fender and the white wall tire!
It was a beater but I had just moved back from Hawaii and needed a car, naturally it had to be a Mopar.  I think I paid $850 for it.

BlueSS454

I don't have any stories to share, but here is a pic of my dad's 69 Super Bee circa 1976.  440 6 pak, hemibox 4 speed w/pistol grip, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's, lift off hood.

Tom Rightler

WM23N1

Im not an old-old timer but here is a picture of my dads 77 cordoba he bought in 84/85. I got it in 88 and drove it into the ground. It had a 400, holley 600, cyclone sonic turbo duals, 15x8-1/2 slots that are now on the 71 super bee in the pic below. The car has been long gone but it sure was a way cool ride back in the day.Thats my big ass washing it when I was 15 or so around '86
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

GTX

Here is one of my '68 R/T's, I wish I had better pics but those were the days of shitty cameras.
Bone stock except for the rear tires/wheels and my Dukes of Hazzard antenna. Actually I was big in the CB thing back in the days when you still needed a license.
You might be able to make out the hub cap on the right front side. I loved the dark green body color, it was a triple green car.

GTX

Just one more of one of the '73 Chargers. Some hated the wheels including me at first but they grew on me after a while. I've come to think chrome would have looked like hell on that car now.

You can't really tell but it had beautiful green on the upper portion not including the vinyl top and running to a  point in the center of the hood and a small green stripe along the upper sides.
That car is still around, we still have it but it's in storage but hasn't been run in about 15 years or so. The 440 in that has 11.5:1 pistons. Can't find any pics of the engine.

cudaken

Here one from way back. I met the guy that had it a long time ago, before I went in the Army so round 1974. It is a real R/T, bought it for $100.00 after the owner threw the 440 guts out of the block. It was worn out, the Charger that is with 65,000 miles I think.

Leno for some reason stuck a 340 6-Pack out of a wrecked T/A in the Charger. Well, will not say it was a pig, 3.91's made it run pretty darn good. Beat my then stock 3.23 stock 383 Runner by a car. Met up with him again after I got home from the Army with the Maxie in the Runner. Soon as he heard the Runner he did not want to play much. I pooped the hood, well his eye's rolled on to his cheeks.

No good kill story, Leno knew when to hold them and when to fold them. I sure hope that Charger is still around, not a speck of rust the last time I saw it, but that 20 years ago.

Cuda Ken
I am back

The Ghoul

69_500

AirborneSilva

cudaken

Front left is a hood pin that is in the wrong place. In the PIC I have you can see the one on the right. If you mean the black square's I don't remember if they where hiding bad spots or he just thought it woolked cool. I will see if I can find the other PIC.

Cuda Ken
I am back

GTX

I ran across a pic of my buddies '69 RR that I did some paint work on it for him if it's ok to throw up here. Wish I still had a full body pic but it got water spotted much worse than this one and ruined.
Charger_Fan may remember this badboy.

This was actually from the 80's so not the OLD days. After disappearing for a number of years this car is now red and in the hands of another local Mopar guy here in town only missing the ram and nitrous systems. I think it still has the 4 link semi intact.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: GTX on December 09, 2005, 01:59:35 PM
I ran across a pic of my buddies '69 RR that I did some paint work on it for him if it's ok to throw up here. Wish I still had a full body pic but it got water spotted much worse than this one and ruined.
Charger_Fan may remember this badboy.

This was actually from the 80's so not the OLD days.
Yeah, I remember that car. The painted bumpers & full wheel discs sorta stand out. ;D
I think I may have even seen it as late as 92 or 93? Are you still in contact with that guy?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

GTX

Nope, he got married and so I hear had a nasty divorce. Long nasty story but he had to sell the car. We've been looking for him for a few years now but he's invisible.
I heard he living out west somewhere and was working on some sort of strip racing Dart now.

Those bumpers were painted partly cuz they were 'glass.

Can you believe that I sprayed that right there where it sits in his drive? Turned out nice though!

His brother Jamie used to drive a '68 Charger with a '69 grille....or was it the other way around? Either way, he sold that too.
I'm the only one who kept my car from back then.

Charger_Fan

Ahh, the 'glass bumpers make sense. You painted the whole car in the driveway, or just parts?

I'm glad the car is still around...and more importantly, still in one piece!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)