News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Old, Old timers. When you where Bad, what did yours look like?

Started by cudaken, November 13, 2005, 09:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

BBMoparFreak

Ken, that story totally reminded me of "American Graffiti".  Very sweet setting, and enjoyed it very much!

Michael

Spartan

First pic is 1984 at the beach I used to hang out at in high school.   The second pic I took about this time last year.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Spartan

This is the 67 I used to drive in 83 (my dads #1 67, I don't have one of #2 yet but we still have #1).   And for the hell of it, here is the "old-man blue" Gizmo that was the winter car in 88 with the 69 in storage.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Ghoste

cudaken

Next miss spell story was also around 1985. Still on Madison Ave and much like the MG story. Well about 3 lights a head of me was a brand new cross ram FJ Z-28. At ever light car was reved like hell and melted the tires. Hum, has Z-Eater on the side of the Runner and it was feeding time. After about 2 more lights I caught up with the Z-2late (what I called them) and got along the side of him on the right side. Looked over and saw 4 boys between 16-18, seems Daddy gave the son the keys.

Long light, kid had the clutch in giving the 305 hell, I just looked over and smiled at the prey. Man this was going to be way to easy. I just let the Runner idle, no reason to bring her up against the converter the way the kid like to dump the clutch. Hell if he had something with his drving he be toast! ;)

Kid in the back right side stook his head out. Then waived to the driver and Z came to a idle. Looked at me and said "sorry sir, my friend is not to bright and had no clue what you where going to do to him"! Gave me the thumps up and said "bad ass runner sir" light turn green and Z pulled away like a normal person was driving.

Funny thing, the sir thing bugged me! I was only 28 or 29 then ;) Well at leas back then there where still some manners installed in the youth.

Sir Cuda Ken ;)
I am back

Spartan

Ah, I guess because mine and his both have one, I never think of it as anything other then standard.   67 #2 does not have one though.   He did buy the molding for it though just in case he doesn't like the look of it all one color.    I personally like the top on it, it breaks the car up a little and doesn't make it look so big.   #1 came with the top.    Wish I had a better pic of it....wait, maybe I do let me see.

Well, the one I had I cannot find.   This is a little better.   Its the garage where they are all stored (at my dad's place).   I have a really good one I took but I cannot find it.   Probably on the other computer. I put the chrome tips on it in 83.   When we got it home, it took me a week to polish all the chrome on that damn thing lol.

Here it is:

Ghoste

Except it's a WHOLE lot rarer in 67 than 69.  There are very few of us 1st gen factory vinyl top owners.

Spartan

ah, never thought about that.  I just don't see that many 1st gens at car shows.  Hopefully next spring I can get a pic of all 3 together for the 1st time.  God I love Chargers! :coolgleamA:

cudaken

BBMoparFreak, yea that could have been in the movie. I feelt like Toad when he back the chevy into another car but way worst! Toad did not have to pick up part of his friend's car. :icon_smile:

OK, couple more.

First time I got to drive the 68 Road Runner with out Dad. I was 16 and had drove Dads truck and Runner with him with me, well I was a good boy. Dad had bought me the 63 Bug and it was still stock then, all 40 HP 1200 cc's of thuder. ;D

Had a friend over named Mike and I want go to the pet store. I forget the details, waite, Bug's tire was flat and fish needed food. Well Mike was and still a idot most likely and he was going to take me. Well Mon and Dad did not like him or trust him. For some reason dad threw me the keys to the Road Runner. Dad, what the hell where thinking! Must not know than when two people are together the smart one starts thinking like the idot one. I was the smart one ???

Drove like normal person till we hit Keystone ave at 116th street. Remember speaking abot Keystone Ave before? Well it is a 4 lane highway of sorts, as I was turing left Mikes yells "floor it"? Still had thge red lines on her? I nailed her half way threw the turn, OH MY God, I am going to get killed by Dad ran threw my none working mind! ;D

I have no real clue too what really happen next excpet being side ways, tire smoke and the Fear Of Dad! Today, I do that sh-t for fun, but this was the first time I had ever had a car sideways. Well some how the Runner never made it in the ditch and I turly learned respect to what she could do. Have yet to have a wreck in her from under estimating what a big block Mopar can do. Runner is still with me, 37 year's of love.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Next, fast foreward to say 1982, I had yet to make the Runner pretty again and was working as a shit manager in a resturant. Runner was turly showing her age She had been hit, RFF and Door was off a 69 Road Runner and still orange, right quarter panel had holes and was in primer. But the Maxie was under the hood. Ok, she looked like a beater, POS, and what ever other term you can come up with. Mon and Dad made me park her behinde the house when I dropped by! ;D

Guess it was around 1:00 AM when I got off and heading home. Road I took home went pass a local Disco (did I say that?) and was the hot spot then in Carmel Ind. Road started out as a 4 lane but turned into a 2 lane. I was at the light where the road got smaller about 400 feet down the road. I hated to get stuck behinde anyone so I was in the left lane. What pulls up next to me, a new Vet! Guy had his Diso Queen with him with all her trimmings. Remember the right side of the Runner looked like sh-t!

I was not looking for a race and I don't think he was either. Light turned green and we both took off, seems never of us wanted to be behinde a nother car. Both of us gave the cars a little gas and stayed side beside. Think we both thought "Fu-k this". He dropped the hammer before me and pulled me 2 car's, then I nailed her and it was all over so to speak, Now here is the reason I posted this story, it was not the win. As I passed the Vet I could see the Diso Queen looking and Bitching at the driver. I cannot read lips but sure it went like smething like this. " You told me your Vet was fast! You letting that Pices of Sh-t beat us, what the Fu-k is wrong with you, pass the pices of sh-t you Fu-king losser"! She did seem pissed from the look she gave me, but was giving him way worst. I bet she did not go home with him. ;D

Cuda Ken

I am back

Blown70

warlock

Another red light story:

Last summer I was heading to pick up the little woman with my Charger and noticed in the rear view a pair of headlights weaving through traffic behind me. (3-lane with left lane to turn) We went through a few lights and he was catching up with me and when he did he zoomed right up on my rear so I could hardly see his lights. In a few seconds there was an opening and he swerved over and started to go by me on the right, but the light was red and now he is beside me. I glanced over but couldn't make anyone out except it was a modern ricer type car. The lane ahead was narrowing down to a one lane and when the light turned green he nailed it and so did I. I smoked him pretty easily to the next light which was already red. Now instead of pulling in behind me, he did something that really makes you think twice about street racing. Instead of stopping at that light, he pulled over into the oncoming lane and busted right through that light! >:( :( :o ??? :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_shock:

Ghoste

That's a problem with those ricers.  Street racing for the most part used to be light to light or go out of town and do it on a 1/4 mile stretch.  These tuners think they have to drive like F&F and go 100 mph through town and blow all the lights and weave in and out of traffic.

cudaken

Day I got a education. This was around OH 1975. Had the then stock as a rock 383 in the Runner. Well she was pretty quick, I had been beaten but never badly. I pulled up to a say 1970 Olds 442, had a wing on it and a funny looking hood. We where both eyeing each other, saw a sticker on the front fender I never saw before.

I cut a good light and got a 1/4 car on him then he was gone. Flat ass left me sitting there. By the time I hit second he had me by 4 car's? I just backed off, only way I was going to catch that thing was if he blew the engine.

Want to guess what the emblem was? Yep, W-30 and in Olds thay means "if you don't have a 426 just leave me alone". I finaly got to pay back Dr Olds 10 years later. Sure the W-30 owner was going "What the heck is a 426 Maxie"?  :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

rt green

here's my story. it was 1980, and i was a senior in high school.  a guy in a town 5 miles away had a 69 gto judge 455. we had some decent hardware in south east minn, but we didnt have a dragstrip with in reach. anyway, this guy was in his twentys, and had a very rich family. did i mention that he had an ego bigger than his old mans wallet? he had the means to build his car up, and we were just a bunch of broke kids. this guy would come to town and race us, kick our ass, and then hang out at the carwash, were we all hung out, and proceed to verbally trash our cars. we couldnt kick hisr ass because of his size, so we just had to sit and take it! then i got my 68 charger. had a 383 auto, headers,shift kit. 780 carb i bought off a chevy guy.  had a road gear rear end which i blew out doing a power slide from gravel to black top. you know, you've all been there. put in a 323 posi out of the junk yard, remeber the selection you had back then?. low end still sucked, but the mid and top was fast. well, i guy i worked with was crusing around with this guy one night{ass kisser} and when they passed me on main, they were pointing towards our 1\4 mile. well we get out there, and we take off from a standing start. he blows me off the line, and i thought i was done. i figured i'd give it my all and see how i'd stand up to him. i kept catching him and catching him,  and holey shit he must have run out of gear because i went sailing past him before the end of the 1\4!!!  i don't know if it was the win i liked best, or the look of suprise on their faces when i passed them! the guy i worked with just looked at me strange the next monday, andf never brought it up again. that nite i was getting pats on the back and beers shoved in my face right and left. the gto guy must have forgotten to stop by the carwash that nite, because we didnt see him.  revenge was had by all that nite!!!!!    rt green
third string oil changer

Charger_Fan

Great story, RT Green! :icon_smile_evil:

Ken's "education" story reminds me...the fastest I've ever been walked away from was one night on my way home from work...pulled up to a light next to a 67 427 Vette coupe. :-\
I knew he would spank me, but like I said before, I ran anyone who wanted to play. ;D We're waiting for the light & I casually blip my throttle. He looks over at me like "you know you haven't a prayer, right"...I just nodded & smiled.
Light on the other side goes red. I rev mine to a little under 4 grand, our light goes green, I slip the clutch a little (didn't wanna break 'em loose) & I had him outta the hole, all the way through 1st grear! Just before I shifted, he had banged 2nd & when I shifted, he was G O N E !! When he hit third, I saw the rear of that car squat way down, the headlights pointed at the sky & that car just left me as if I had pulled it into neutral! :o

That was cool. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparMotel

Dam, this has got to be the best thread i have ever read on this board.......Keep 'em coming guys!

Cudaken- Got a pic of what the road runner looks like today?
1968 Dodge Charger

warlock

1966 I was running a 39 Dodge pick-up that I'd put in a 318, headers, 4bbl, and a wagon 3:55 rear. It was fairly fast and was alot of fun. It seemed like it could burn rubber forever. One night me and a buddy, Dexter, was coming back from cruising the beach and was going too fast. (70ish in a 50) We blew by a cop that I didn't see and Dex hollers "COP". I don't know what he was doing, but it took him a few seconds to come after us, but I knew it was true when blue lights appeared in the rearview. I had a jump on him so I thought I could loose him because I knew the area. I figured that there was a sandpit nearby with a dirt road in the back that opened to several more little tangents. I knew I could take the right tangent to bring me out just shy of my parents house. That cop was catching up fast, but I made the sandpit in time and raced to the back.   :o When I got to that road, someone had dumped a load of gravel right in the middle of it. I jumped on the brakes and it wasn't even beginning to stop. I figured I was in trouble and remembered that riding my bike, I had to throttle it a little when jumping a jump, so I floored the gas on the pick-up just as we hit that mound. We flew through the air and when we hit, we bounced around and the throttle was stuck wide open.   :icon_smile_shock: I snapped the throttle a few times and it snapped loose. We were still running and in the road so I kept going. I don't know whatever happened to that cop, but when I got home and looked at the pick-up, it was ruined. The frame was bent in the middle and looked like it was about to break. We were extremely lucky and really, we would have been better off and smarter to simply stop and pay the fine. I never ran that pick-up again.

cudaken

Mopar Hotel, if you look on page one you will see what she looks like today but with Cragier SS wheels.

OK, want to talking about making someone feel like sh-t? :icon_smile_big: Remeber the little old 63 Bug dad bought me and how I got the Runner on page one? Local cruzies site was the S/S in Carmel In where I grew up. Bug was Plum Crazy in color (must have been fate being a Mopar Guy) Fiberglass rear fenders, Nerf Bars (need to know bugs) L 60 15's on back, chrome wheels and BIG OLD STICKER IN THE REAR WINDOW THAT SAID BUG.

Guy from Noblesville and friends came down to our truff, big high school rivalry and all. Well are bad of the bad cars where not there that night. For some reason there quarterback (we kicked there ass for state) started to blow me and the little old bug sh-t. Must have thought I was one of there cheerleaders the way he was talking to me. Just take it from there folks but there was a lot of F and P words being used at me.

I had "stands all I can stands and can't stands for no more" (what popeye use to say) said "put up or shut losser. I was also thinking I may have stock my foot in my mouth ;) He had a 67 GTO, Tri Power 4-speed and some thing like 4.10 gear's.

We head out to cherry tree lane in the sticks to have at it along with everyone from Stake and Shake. We had the 1320 marked out with white paint, Boy you want to talk Amercian Graffiti only thing missing was Miller and his piss yellow coupe and Harrison Ford in the 55 Chevy.

We staged and the Quarterback back was still laughing at me, giving me the bird, using the P and F and threw in a F--g just to make sure I was in my places! Had the GTO up to around I say 3000 RPM's and I was around say 1500 RPM's. Flashlight was lite, he dumped the clutch, man that was a cool ass burn out! Smoke every where and Goat did not move for what seemed like 2 seconds, well from where I was. I launched at 1800 and lifted the front wheels a little (bug was hell when hooked up) and I was gone. I had a 4 car hole shoot while the Quarterback was busy impressing the on lookers. He finaly saw what was happing and backed off and hooked up. I had maybe 6 cars by then but he was not faiding back any longer. At mid track I was still 5 car's a head but he was gaining. At 3/4 track he was with in maybe 2 and then it was over! I won, beat a Goat with the all might Bug.

Remeber page one folk's, my Bug was far frome being stock! $2000.00 1973 money in the engine.

We both learned something that night.

1 Never under estimate the competion (think he learned that more than me) :icon_smile_big:

2 No traction, no action! Ever wonder why people talk about 60 foot times so much?

I will say this for him, he did not run away like most braggers do. We went back to the starting line and he shock my hand. He also wanted to run again, Humm, I need to get home. Sorry maybe later. :icon_smile_big:

I love telling the war storys and reading them but this thread has sort taken a turn I may have well caused. Street racing is not good , many of us have lost friends and my self while we was racing me. We that are posting had more luck than skill at the ages myself and other's have posted about. There are many tells that will never be told by the ones that lost there life doing what I and other's are bragging about. :'(

When you read or post, take a second to think of the ones that cannot post there storys.

Last story made me think about Wippie, he was the flag man. But I know he would love reading the storys so keep them coming. Miss you buddy.

Your friend ken :'(

PS, lets keep this up beat! He would have wanted that way :thumbs:

I am back

8WHEELER

Well you notice my picture was at the track and I did not tell a fun but crazy story. Bottom line is my
last speeding ticket was 140 plus in a 35 zone, I have said it before on this site but make a point of saying
it was my ''LAST'' speeding ticket and that was in 1981.

I have tons of street and track racing stories, as much as anybody hear, but there are younger members on
this site that should not get the impression that the street is AOK to race ''take to the track please.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

rt green

i agree. times were different back then. there are more cars on the road now. people are less tolerant than they were. but, the danger  is the same. i dont want to influence younger members the wrong way. i just enjoy the stories. man, thats history! it seems that when this generation is gone, the stories go with them. i want to hear them while i can, because when we all get altimers, we wont evem remember how many balls we have. keep up the stories, but young ones, this not the thing to do nowadays.        bruce 
third string oil changer

69_500

I don't think that street racing was the way to go back in the 70's or 80's either. I will agree however that there was far less traffic on streets back then. It seems that around here the streets are pretty crowded until at least 3-4 am each night of the week.

I know around here there are a few places out of town that some people still go to on Friday nights and Saturday nights to street  race against each other. The older people tend to go more towards the country, the younger people with rice burners tend to try to race up and down State Road 37. Yeah it is 2 lanes in each direction with a shoulder, but it also has 1000's more cars on it than say a country road.

cudaken

This is going to sound dumb, but I was carefull when I raced on the street. Yea that sounds dumb. Never got into it when there cars in front of us, cross roads a head or in a neighbor hood. If I thought the person next to me was a idot and just let them go. More than likely the reason I am still here to post about when I was young and dumb.

As far as this posting making the younger people here want to street races, I don't think that will be a problem. Movies like Gone in 60 Seconds, Fast and the F--ked Up and games will do that reguardles of are storys.

Would maybe a little better if we added the fact there where no cars around and we used some caution should be in the storys as well.

Cuda Ken

I am back

69_500

There will always be street racing as long as there is 2 young kids in a car, and one of them thinks their car is faster. I have lined up with other people quite a few times over the years. However like Ken said, every time it was us at the front of the light, or stop sign, no other cars around. Not through a neighborhood, or anything like that. Usually too it was more of a stop light to stop light thing, so in all honesty only wound up being about 1/8th mile if even that. Some times it wouldn't even be far enough to get much up over 60 mph or so. But the thrill is still the same.

Charger_Fan

Ok, so to get back to the thread title then, we need more pics of cars from way back when. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)