News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter 2 BBl Carb on 318 Engine

Started by Charger71, April 13, 2009, 11:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger71

I have been working on this problem for a few months now... :brickwall: :brickwall:

Here it is...
My son and I cranked the engine.  It starts and then floods.  Gas leaks out of the carb onto and INTO the intake.  My oil pressure went from 25 psi at idle to less than 10 psi.  I shut it off and checked the oil.  It smelled like gas real bad.  We drained oil, changed filter.
FAST FORWARD>>>>>>.......

I checked and fixed the floats.   Now the carb doesn't flood, but we have other probs.

When we start the engine, it runs at HIGH rpms.  As soon as we let off the gas, it dies.  We start it again, it fluctuates at high rpms still.  I checked timing with vacuum advance hose disconnected.  It was right at "0"  When I connect the distributor hose, the rpms go crazy.  The engine races and dies when we let off the gas. 

Any suggestions?

Charger71

Charger71

I posted pics of the carb for you all to see.   :scratchchin:

Did we plug the right ports?  Hooked up right?

Thanks,

Charger71

GTX MATT

I dont want to be negative but those carbs are JUNK!!!! I have one on my 273 and I cant wait to get my 440 in just so that I dont have to deal with it anymore. Ive rebuilt mine TWICE.

The float would always hang up, itd get gas on the intake through those little balls you see on the front, and then it wouldn't want to start. By holding the pedal to the floor and cranking it would start after about ten cranks but wouldnt really idle, I would hold it to the floor as it would build up rpms very slowly and roughly and then VROOOOOOOOM, let off and itd idle and run. Ive rebuilt it twice, its much better and oonly hangs up on a rare occasion (I replaced the float because it had a hole in it someplace this may be part of your problem), set the adjustment higher, set it lower, no difference. But the reason youre getting gas on the intake is probably a hanging float.

Also, when it doesnt hang up I will still leak gas onto the intake (replaced all gaskets, tighten them down, it comes from those small balls in the front) when I shut it off, not alot just a little. When you take a turn the car idles down like it wants to die and sounds like it cuts out for a minute. IMO those things have got problems, if you intend to stay with the two barrel I'd replace it. They couldn't have been like this new so it must be some design flaw that comes out with age.

Try rebuilding it, the kits are cheap and they are simple. It made mine alot better, still not good though. :brickwall:

Charger71

I rebuilt the carb.  I was careful to replace the BB's in the carb.

I still couldn't get the car running.   I tinkered all day...

I sold the car as a non-running car locally.    When the guy showed up to look at it,  he liked the condition of the car.
Wouldn't you know it, the car stinking started right up!!!   The guy actually drove the vehicle home.

He called me a couple of days ago to tell me he bought a new carb and he is replaceing the old distributor.   

Anyway,  now I can work on my 1974 Plymouth Satellite.  (We are gonna get creative with this car, but do it on a budget...  Is that possible???)

It has ignition probs, but I am gonna try to fix that...

Charger71

69bronzeT5

I've had the same problem with my Duster basically. Wouldn't start...then when it did, the gas started leaking out the side into the intake. I'm just gonna buy a new Holley carb and make the car a 4bbl anyways.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rolling_Thunder

I ran that same carb on my 318 for years without ANY issues...   hmmm   go figure.  :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger71

The guy who bought the car figured the carb was leaking around the shaft that holds the butterfly valves.  The guy bought a new carb and solved the problem.

Oh well.  His gain my loss.

I have the same carb on my 1974 Satellite.  It should be fine there...

Charger71