News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**poll** manual trans Chargers, who's owning them? (05/17) 72 cars so far

Started by CB, April 30, 2009, 05:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who owns one?

original factory manual trans
52 (66.7%)
customised manual trans
5 (6.4%)
swaped from auto to manual
21 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 78

CB

I noticed that more guys are buying/driving/restoring a manual transmission Charger.

Please post what year Charger(s) and why you personally prefer the manual over the automatic.

Thanks a lot!
CB

mine: look below: my '69 factory 4-speed
reason: I like to play with the stick  :D
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ChgrSteve67

67 Charger came with a 4 speed.

4 speed with 3.55s was too low so converted to 5 speed.

Had a 440 with auto that I was going to transplant but it went into Uncles Motorhome so 383 got rebuilt and 5 speed got put in.  I think I would prefer to have a 3 speed auto with a gear vender behind it.

Steve

Foreman72

well besides the fact that 4spds add to the options list hence the rarity hence the collectiblity

anything thats a manual gives you more control and you feel more like a dude driving it :lol:

that being said, i got a 727 in mine and i am totally fine with that...so

to each his own :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Dans 68

Christian,

You like the manual because it allows you to have complete control over the driving experience. It is (one of the  :D) the closest, most exhilarating and sensuous bonds one can experience behind the wheel....

Oh, wait, those are my reasons!  :rofl:  Well, you know mine is a '68, so I have two goals towards the hat trick (only a hemi would make it better  :icon_smile_wink:). Good topic.

Dan

Factory '68 4-speed
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

suntech

Mine is a manual car, with auto in now. The clutch pedal is still in. When done, it will be a manual back in there (6 speed sequential :D )
The reason i like manual, is like Dan says, I want to have most possible control over the driving experiance, and a pro touring car should be a stick shift IMO. Cant wait to jank the hemi through the gears!!!!!  :cheers:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

426HemiCharger

I have a TorqueFlite but the next Charger I will own will get the A-833.  What's up with the A-833 being "hard to shift" or "stiff" heard it alot from vintage literature.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

RTDaddy

The Daytona clone started life as a 69 R/T 4 speed, and still is.  71 R/T 4 speed, 70 T/A 4 speed.  Why?  I'd rather eat worms than drive an automatic.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

WingCharger

I plan to have a 18 spline A-883 in my Daytona.
I can see when a automatic is good to have though...I just love jamming gears. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

It's just fun to drive a stick, especially when you nail second really hard and the car starts getting a little sideways.  Or that perfect third gear scratch.  Or the way it sings as you go through the gears.  Or the way it feels when you grab that big ole ball and dump the clutch.
On the other hand, stop and go traffic REALLY sucks.

Hemidoug

Both mine are original 4 spd cars.....and both are driven like 4 spd cars! :D
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

SFRT

69 R/T factory 4 speed.

I can't drive an automatic transmission-never learned.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

72chargerSE

72 Charger SE, 400magnum, 4 speed here!! (bench seat with factory air, too ;) )

bull

<<<<----------- Like it says here, factory 383 and A833 4 speed.

69*F5*SE

A383Wing

I got a pair of 66 Chargers, both 383's, both factory 4spd cars....staying that way also...the Daytona is running a 727 automatic.....

Bryan

Sublime/Sixpack

My Charger came with the four speed and I'm happy about that, but I would still have bought the car had it been an automatic.

There's just something I like about stirring the gears myself, but I enjoy my auto. trans. cars too.

They both have their good points.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Rolling_Thunder

Swapped mine from an auto to a 5-speed...    I plan on needing the OD    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

jaak

Got me one today!!!!!! 73 Charger 360/4-speed   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Jason

Carlwalski

Mine will be a racing spec built TF727. Chargers are big muscle cars, no ponies and they were built to go straight, you're lying if you think otherwise. If it were an E-Body I would probably go 5-speed (as I already have a TF727 E) and E-Bodies would be better suited to the twisty roads where manual transmissions can't be beaten, no question. B-Body pro touring cars on the other hand would probably be better suited with 3 pedals. But for straight line, high hp applications an automatic is most enthusiasts weapon of choice.

The best ET times, anywhere, any time - constancy. But both have their pros and cons, shucks, if you can, have both! Manuals are more involving and fun, while autos are just as fun (especially manual valve body cars) but don't offer the full in control feeling manuals offer. I don't need a manual to feel like a man though lol (not like some guys). My motto is simple, if it's MoPar and fast - I'll drive and love the bastard. :coolgleamA:

My 0.02c

mikesbbody

Quote from: Carlwalski on April 30, 2009, 11:15:23 PM

Mine will be a racing spec built TF727. Chargers are big muscle cars, no ponies and they were built to go straight, you're lying if you think otherwise. If it were an E-Body I would probably go 5-speed (as I already have a TF727 E) and E-Bodies would be better suited to the twisty roads where manual transmissions can't be beaten, no question. B-Body pro touring cars on the other hand would probably be better suited with 3 pedals. But for straight line, high hp applications an automatic is most enthusiasts weapon of choice.

The best ET times, anywhere, any time - constancy. But both have their pros and cons, shucks, if you can, have both! Manuals are more involving and fun, while autos are just as fun (especially manual valve body cars) but don't offer the full in control feeling manuals offer. I don't need a manual to feel like a man though lol (not like some guys). My motto is simple, if it's MoPar and fast - I'll drive and love the bastard. :coolgleamA:

Carl and I have been discussing the pro's and con's of Auto's vs manuals for awhile now I have a 727 in my Charger, and for the longest time I wanted a 4 speed, then a 5 speed, but after talking with Carl I am now more than happy wih my Auto. I have also come across that attitude "Real muscle cars are manual" yeah whatever...Yes, I have driven 4 speed Mopars to be honest it didnt live up to the hype. Having said that, each to his own and be happy with what you have. tastes change I happy that's one less thing I need to buy and no, I dont want a GV  :Twocents:

ChargerSG

Im restoring my RT/SE and its a 4 speed trackpack stock, so its really gonna be a wow Charger for those fenderplates guys;) That i used to be, but now im on the other side of it :D
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Long Island RT

Mine was originally a Auto.  I almost didn't buy it (20 years ago) for that reason.  It was bittersweet when I found out the car was not #'s matching (I was young and naive and asked all the wrong questions).

Haven't driven it yet with the 5 speed, unless dreams count!
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

American Muscle

Manuals are fun and gives a lot more control over the car. With that said, all of my vehicles are automatic. My Charger iss automatic in particular because that was the only one I could find at an incredible price of $4000 in that excellent condition (There aren't too many Chargers for sale in the Tri State area at that price and at that condition). The other reason I don't mind my automatics is probably just out of pure laziness.... I just don't want to deal with it in the busy streets of NYC. Manuals are definitely fun, though. But they're just not for me.
1968 Charger 360 Six Pack - My Frankenstein
1969 Road Runner 383 - My All Original
1970 Barracuda 318 - Another All Original

moparstuart

Quote from: SFRT on April 30, 2009, 09:06:32 PM
69 R/T factory 4 speed.

I can't drive an automatic transmission-never learned.
classic     :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

six-tee-nine

Manual or auto whatever..... I have an 18 spline A833 on the shelf and most of the other goodies to built me a 4 speed car.....

Only extra i'm gonna add is a Gear Vendors overdrive so i can put a 4.10 in the Dana......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...