News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter panel replacement issue

Started by rescuediver1982, April 29, 2009, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rescuediver1982

Ok, I have been trolling around, searching for similar problems but am unable to find one that has this problem..lol My concern is how do I tackle this ->
</a> 
You can see the former car owner took a quarter and laid it ontop of the other and riveted in place then fillered over it,  Should I cut the pieces out and create a nice flat butt-weld and do a lower quarter skin to fix the wheel well rust? or just leave the pieces in place and just do a lower quarter and rebondo it until years down the road when they make full quarters w/sail panels and it is repainted again?  My concern is that I do not know how much of the orginal quarter is still underneath.  Here is a pic of the major quarter rust that I am dealing with ->

Back N Black

Do you have any experience at bodywork? It depends on you skill level and if you looking for driver quality car or something more. I would cut out the rust and weld in new sheet metal.

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Probably be easier if you just threw a new skin on, No BONDO. :2thumbs:

suntech

Honestly..... To me is patching, or the old style skins, are almost like swearing in church, now when the full quarters are available :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

rescuediver1982

I have an understanding of body work,  I have done stuff in the past (shaving, priming,fiberglassing, motorycles)... but more importantly I have friends who know what they are doing! :cheers:...  The car isn't for me, it is my mothers.  It belonged to her and my late step-father... he died unexpectantly before the car could be put back togehter.  His friends who are extreme mopar nuts actually mostly reassembled it after his death, had it running and was nearly complete, but they went to do a quick "scuff and shoot" as the care looked well... but then they ran into this...and it has been on hold ever since...they have already done so much and will continue to help me once I overcome this paint hurdle..  I just want it back together so she can drive it and take it to the local car show or monster mopar to just hang out (I should specify this is not a resto project, it will have several features the original car didnt have, hideaway headlights, bulge hood, etc)... I am apprehensive about complete new sheet metal in that location because they dont make it yet.   The only thing I can find is the tabco quarter skins but it doesnt come up into sail panel... so I am kinda stuck because I know I am not good enough to make the entire sail panel and upper quarter out of sheet steel. Should I try to undo the overlap and cut it so that is is a butt joint or does anyone know of someone parting out a good drivers quarter?

FLG

Look at AMD's quarters. There complete panels.

suntech

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

rescuediver1982

Quote from: suntech on April 29, 2009, 04:25:58 PM
www.autometaldirect.com    :2thumbs:

can anyone link to the 74's  I only see up to '70 for the charger...

cause if they make full panels I will be ecstatic... :yesnod:

FLG

Sorry, assumed it was a second gen...your stuck like the rest of us with either donor cars or tabco quarters  :brickwall:

The tabco ones are actually good, just not complete.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: FLG on April 29, 2009, 07:14:22 PM
Sorry, assumed it was a second gen...your stuck like the rest of us with either donor cars or tabco quarters  :brickwall:

you dissapointed me... I thought you were able to notice it was a 3rd gen just looking at the wheel opening shape

or the C pillar shape

:smilielol:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Well i was at work and couldnt really look, i assumed 2nd gen as us 3rd gen guys arent as common...but were getting there. I can easily see now its a 3rd gen  :D

1970Moparmann

Quote from: suntech on April 29, 2009, 03:31:04 PM
Honestly..... To me is patching, or the old style skins, are almost like swearing in church, now when the full quarters are available :Twocents:

I agree!!!!!  Just put a set on my 68 and it is night and day difference in quality and fit. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 29, 2009, 07:59:35 PM
Quote from: FLG on April 29, 2009, 07:14:22 PM

you dissapointed me... I thought you were able to notice it was a 3rd gen just looking at the wheel opening shape

or the C pillar shape

:smilielol:

Call AMD and find out and/if when they will have them available. 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

suntech

Sorry, also missed that it was a 3rd gen :brickwall: I was just assuming it was a 2nd gen, without really looking.
AMD does not have quarters for the 3rd gen, if i remember right.

rescuediver1982

Well all, I think I may have an idea, I talked to my autobody guru and he looked at my pics and gave me some ideas to actually join the old panel and new panel together and use our stud gun to pop out any low spots and essentially make it a panel then use the tabco lowers fix my other issues... I will keep you posted but if you can think of anything let me know...as this is going to be no fun!  :brickwall:

Nacho-RT74

who said rust was fun?, they only share the U, same as F**K.

BTW, trunk extensions are also available. One headache less if you combine it with Tabco quarters that does look they are REALLY NICE :2thumbs:

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

69*F5*SE

My latest issue of Mopar Collectors Guide has an AMD add showing 71 and 72 full size quarters.  Don't know if they're available yet but, they're showing them in the magazine. Maybe a call to AMD for an ETA will help.  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I seen that Advertisement at least a month or 2 ago & mentioned it, Maybe in the works & not ready yet :shruggy: LEON.

rescuediver1982

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 30, 2009, 02:56:09 PM
My latest issue of Mopar Collectors Guide has an AMD add showing 71 and 72 full size quarters.  Don't know if they're available yet but, they're showing them in the magazine. Maybe a call to AMD for an ETA will help.  :shruggy:

I Just hung up the phone with AMD, they said they dont have them yet, they are still building them.. exact words "at least a good six months" until they are ready... these will be for the 71-72's. cause Knowledge is Power  :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

73/74 Tabco panels has been already prooved by several members, perfect fit. the only "deal" is they are from top body line and not full from roof... what is not bad at all either, because will give you less job to fit it.

Unless you have problems above top body line of course.