News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

View on drugs!

Started by mopar_nut_440_6, April 29, 2009, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar_nut_440_6

This really puts things into perspective!

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

last426

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 29, 2009, 12:16:58 AM

It's cool to read about the days of child abuse -- thank goodness we have evolved and kids aren't dragged anymore legally.  Kim

Hemidog

TheGhost

Quote from: last426 on April 29, 2009, 01:03:04 AM

It's cool to read about the days of child abuse -- thank goodness we have evolved and kids aren't dragged anymore legally.  Kim

Yes, because discipline is a bad thing.

Look at our culture 50 years ago.  Notice how there weren't school shootings and work shootings and the like every other week back then?  Notice how respectful people were back then?  Moral and family values were held in high esteem.  And people knew there were consequences for their actions.

Look at our culture now.  Need I say more?

Don't get me wrong, too much discipline is a bad thing, as well.  Nor was life perfect 50 years ago.  Far from it.  However, today, most parents are too damn scared to even rebuke their children, for fear of having social services called on them.  We've got children brought up to expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter, simply because they think they deserve it.  50 years ago, it was understood that to gain anything, you actually had to work for it.  You actually had to EARN it to deserve it.

I wonder... were your parents the kind who used too much discipline, that you despise it so much as an adult?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Mike DC

A lot of kids today will get raised with an A+ standard of living, and then find themselves in a C- standard of living for the rest of their lives despite working longer hours than their parents did.  It's not a very enviable situation IMHO. 

Old Moparz

Although some of those "drugs" may be okay, I think there has to be a much better balance than what was listed in that letter as being something that works for raising kids to be decent people. I knew kids who were disciplined, or "drugged" to all kinds of things, & more often they got into more serious trouble later on. (Rebellion maybe?) My best friend from 4th grade up through high school had strict parents who pretty much ran their household like the description in that letter. He was arrested twice that I know of, for drugs, & is an alcoholic I haven't seen or hung out with in almost 20 years.

Another guy I knew from high school who's parents decided to rule with an iron fist, ran away from home at 16. He came back a few days later & was grounded for several months. Yeah, that worked well. He was pretty violent & pretty scary. He wiped out whatever small animal population there was in his neighborhood. No, he wasn't a hunter, he was a freakin' psycho that would chase things on foot & kick it to death. If it got away, he'd use one of his Dad's pistols. He later almost killed some kid riding a dirt bike when he beat him to a pulp with the kid's own helmet in the woods because he refused to let him ride his dirt bike. Can't imagine why, afterall they didn't know each other & had never met.

When a kid does something wrong, I don't believe in calmly repeating myself 28 times like mental patient. Trying to go through the process of reasoning or discussing things like they were mature adults is not going to work. Explaining right from wrong is one thing, but & a good smack on the ass once in awhile isn't child abuse.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: TheGhost on April 29, 2009, 03:46:31 AM

Look at our culture 50 years ago.  Notice how there weren't school shootings and work shootings and the like every other week back then?  Notice how respectful people were back then?  Moral and family values were held in high esteem.  And people knew there were consequences for their actions.

Don't get me wrong, too much discipline is a bad thing, as well.  Nor was life perfect 50 years ago.  Far from it.  However, today, most parents are too damn scared to even rebuke their children, for fear of having social services called on them.  We've got children brought up to expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter, simply because they think they deserve it.  50 years ago, it was understood that to gain anything, you actually had to work for it.  You actually had to EARN it to deserve it.

I wonder... were your parents the kind who used too much discipline, that you despise it so much as an adult?

:iagree:

When I was a kid I was more afraid of my father than I was of the police or anybody else. My father did not beat me but you knew that if push came to shove you would get the belt! It did not take many of those before you learned that you did not lip mom off when dad was not around and to do what was asked of you. Do I agree with using a belt, no, do I think it was bad, no but there was a standard in place and you knew where the line was so there was no misunderstanding of the consequences for your actions. Accountability!!

My sisters daughter (13) who is the type of child who always wants attention made up a story at school saying her dad got drunk on wine and hit her. Next thing you know social services shows up at the door with the RCMP, removes my brother in law from the home and questions everybody else in the house. Now my brother in law is a very quiet, mild accountant and his children adore him. The older brother, 16, tells everybody his sister is an idiot and does this regularly, my sister and brother in law are dumbfounded and he got put on probation for a year with regular visits from social services! I understand these policies are in place for a reason and I agree with them  but this just shows what can happen in our society today and is just another reason there seems to be a lack of respect. No accountability!

In retrospect my niece should have been held accountable for her actions and required to perform some service to the community for making up a lie and making the family look bad as well as wasting a whole lot of tax payers money but instead she can go to school and brag about what she did and fill some other children s heads with ideas.

There was a time when an adult could walk down the street and if kids were being rude or being obnoxious you could comment and ask them to keep it down. Today you are taking your life into your hands by saying something as you never know what will happen. This really upsets me as I really wonder who is running the show. As teenagers we may have acted up but there was always respect for adults for the most part and this was only 30 years ago.

Just my two bits but I totally agree with the article above. I do not hit my children at all but I do hold them accountable for their actions, make them say please and thank you, hold doors for people, do dishes, clean their rooms and what every else I ask. I donot like to repeat myself more than a couple of times and if I do they get a raised voice and know that if they do not do what I ask there will be consequences whether it is off the computer, X-Box or not going to their friends. I have 5 boys 20-9 and it seem sto work pretty good. We have had our problems but they seem to be turning out OK for the most part!

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

hemi68charger

Very enlightening...... I like it.............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

captnsim

All we need is something like the Spank Wow...Spanks just right. Not to hard, not to soft. No guilt, you don't have to actually do the spanking. The ability to spank more then one offending child at a time. Built in lie detector so all Spank Wow spankings are deserved. Friends and family can now punish your kids with Spank Wow knowing the spanking was deserved and not over done. Built in "Boom" and "smack" affect that activates on contact to add realism to more severe Spank Wow spankings for when Jr. is especially bad. And remember...
                                                 "Spare the Spank Wow , spoil the the child"
                                                                           :D
Only problem is it would probally work as well as the Sham Wow...  :icon_smile_blackeye: 

Todd Wilson

Dam Ghosty where did that come from?  I agree with what you type! I couldnt have said it any better!

Todd

my73charger

:iagree: 

Dans 68

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 29, 2009, 12:18:38 PM

Dam Ghosty where did that come from?  I agree with what you type! I couldnt have said it any better!

Todd

Ditto that. I can add is that as children my brothers and I were held accountable for our actions, and punished when we needed it (which was actually not too often). My daughter gets the same treatment. Occasionally I ask her the simple question "Am I your friend?" After rolling her eyes (she gets that talent from her Mom) she replies ", No, you're my Dad" (meaning that I will always be there for her, I love her unconditionally and I will do what is in her best interests (and not a friends)...she gets it  :icon_smile_wink:).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

my73charger

QuoteDitto that. I can add is that as children my brothers and I were held accountable for our actions, and punished when we needed it (which was actually not too often). My daughter gets the same treatment. Occasionally I ask her the simple question "Am I your friend?" After rolling her eyes (she gets that talent from her Mom) she replies ", No, you're my Dad" (meaning that I will always be there for her, I love her unconditionally and I will do what is in her best interests (and not a friends)...she gets it  :icon_smile_wink:).
Dan

Very well put Dan.  I loved and respected my parents and there was discipline when it was needed in our lives.  I have the respect of my kids and they have my respect as well.  I love my kids with all my heart and our relationship is a parent/child relationship.  I think to many parents today are trying to be best friends with their kids rather than good parents.

Ponch ®

Well, I don't want to get all profound here...but if you think about it...who are today's bad parents? Those kids from the 50s-60's!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 29, 2009, 01:57:58 PM

Well, I don't want to get all profound here...but if you think about it...who are today's bad parents? Those kids from the 50s-60's!

No they arent! They are grand parents now!

todd

Ponch ®

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 29, 2009, 02:09:43 PM

todd

More to the point then! THEY couldn't teach their own children how to bring up theirs. And so we end up with the SilverR/Ts and Cody's of today.  :lol:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

defiance

I object to the implication rampant in this discussion that "discipline" requires physical contact.  My parents "whupped" me, and they sucked at discipline.  It had NOTHING to do with the method of punishment, and EVERYTHING to do with the consistency, reason, and thought given to discipline.  It was inconsistent, uneven, and generally useless.  I had HUGE problems from about 16-22 or so, and only got where I am now out of sheer force of will to fix the problems.

Meanwhile, I know PLENTY of people who were never spanked, but had other disciplinary measures applied consistently, evenly, predictably, and to GREAT effect.  I know very few who have problems with self-control, self-discipline, or generaly mental fitness.

There were just as many disciplinary issues then as there are now.  Different ones, sure, but just as many.  And I feel confident that it was the same when my dad was a kid. 

To all the people who want to complain about "kids today" and "lack of discipline":  Bah, get over yourself.  It's the fate of every generation to find a way to feel morally superior to the next.  Trust me, the old folks said the SAME THING when you were kids.  "Oh, we didn't have school shootings when we were kids."  Well, your old folks didn't have kids dying in drunken car wrecks either.  And their old folks didn't have problems with stagecoach robberies or something.

472 R/T SE

Two years ago my daughter had a bruise on her arm.  She showed me and I pushed on it and asked her if that hurt.  ;)  My Father used to do that to me.

She went to school and showed her teacher and said I did it.  We ended up with a call from Social Services.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.

My wife and I, despite how well we turned out  :icon_smile_wink:, do not discipline our daughter like we were growing up.  We never had the pleasure of being able to have more than one so it's almost like we're trying too hard to keep from screwing up as parents.  I guess we'll see.

John_Kunkel

The only thing "disipline" taught me when I was a kid was to not get caught doing that again.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TheGhost

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 29, 2009, 12:18:38 PM

Todd

First time for everything.  Both my parents were born in '45, so that's probably why.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Tilar

You cant be serious.  :slap:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 29, 2009, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 29, 2009, 02:09:43 PM

todd

More to the point then! THEY couldn't teach their own children how to bring up theirs. And so we end up with the SilverR/Ts and Cody's of today.  :lol:

HAHAHA!   I stand corrected!

Todd

mauve66

my wife was "progressive", always wanting to give our son a "time out",  oooohhhh the horrors of having to sit still for 5 minutes, or taking something from him, we fought on this issue alot :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

there is a difference from kids that tell their parents what they will or wont do and having a kid flinch everytime you walk by

when my son was in 6th grade he was almost failing the last quarter, wouldn't turn homework in (even though it was done) wouldn't study for tests (wouldn't even tell us when he had one coming up) so he got the belt,  1 swat for each F, (6 total), he went to school and told his counselor he got a swat for ever grade under a B...... FOR THE YEAR!!  they required a meeting before he could go back to school, when they started telling me this stuff i couldn't believe my ears, i told them that i would discipline my kid the way i saw fit and walked out.  never heard from Childrens services .  he never got those grades again either......................

yes there is a fine line in discipline but it must include contact, losing your playstation for a week doesn't have the same effect as REAL discipline

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: Now seriously I don't think singling out Silver68 and Bronzy is a good idea,.. i know sometimes (like me) they both post stuff that grinds on us/you but, I don't think they're deserving of ridicule,..
Even that dopey mustang hater teen seemed to me to be looking for some boundaries and limitations, when he'd post his whack stuff, I suspect that's why some kids act up and act out,.. because they ain't getting the guidance they need at home,.. and a  :slap: or belt isn't probably the best first solution, that's just what happens when parents allow their kids to stray too far, and don't have real parenting skills to keep them from going off track in the first place. IMO..
  But saying you whack your kids around and it's good for them and more kids deserve it doesn't score any point with me,.. infact quite the opposite.  :Twocents:

WingCharger

I wonder if any government agencies are watching this thread... :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

:icon_smile_big: