News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about "Bracket w/Roller and Guide" ** Fix pics added

Started by bull, April 28, 2009, 07:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

According to a document JimShine posted on another thread (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37018.0.html) I have two of what's called a "Bracket w/Roller and Guide" assembly on my drivers side quarter window that is screwed up. As you can see in the pictures below the "wire" piece that acts as a retainer and axle for both rollers is broken on one end and the roller has gone missing. Assuming I can find a replacement roller (it seems the kits don't have them) is there any reason to try finding another "wire" piece to replace the broken one or could I just used something like a roll pin to retain the two small rollers? I guess I'm just wondering why they've used such a convoluted setup on this assembly to retain the rollers? I have to assume the "wire" has some additional function but I can't figure out what that function might be.

bull

UPDATE** I just busted the other side off while messing with it :2thumbs: so now I'm going to take the remaining roller to the hardware store to see what I can find for replacement parts. It didn't take much to break it. Looks like it was about to go anyway.

Dennis K

I'm pretty sure I have a few extras of those. If you can't find one locally, PM me your address and I'll send you one for free plus a couple bucks for shipping.

gasoline_24

They can be found at pretty much any salvage yard.  You can take them apart and use tubular rivets to reassemble them.  This is what I did on mine and they work good.  They are not back on the car yet so I can't say how well they work, but for now they operate well.

bull

Quote from: Dennis K on April 28, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a few extras of those. If you can't find one locally, PM me your address and I'll send you one for free plus a couple bucks for shipping.

Dennis,

Are you talking the entire assembly or just the rollers?

bull

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 28, 2009, 10:15:56 PM
They can be found at pretty much any salvage yard.  You can take them apart and use tubular rivets to reassemble them.  This is what I did on mine and they work good.  They are not back on the car yet so I can't say how well they work, but for now they operate well.

That looks like one vote in the "I don't think it's crucial to use that wire retainer" category as opposed to some alternative method. It seems so odd that the factory would build them this way and I'm wondering if I'm missing something that's more functional with the original design. Or was it just something made to accelerate the assembly process? Either way I think those wire retainers need to be replaced. There's a weak point where they bend to go down inside the roller.

Dennis K

Quote from: bull on April 28, 2009, 10:37:55 PM

Dennis,

I have a few of the whole assemblies. I don't think I have ever taken those apart.

bull

Quote from: Dennis K on April 28, 2009, 11:00:00 PM
Quote from: bull on April 28, 2009, 10:37:55 PM

Dennis,

I have a few of the whole assemblies. I don't think I have ever taken those apart.

You've got mail. :2thumbs:

gasoline_24

The wire portion serves two purposes.  The first is to hold the two plastic guides in place the second is to keep tension on the plastic guides.  I am sure you could come up with another way to build this, but I can't think of anything that would accomplish both.

bull

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 29, 2009, 12:38:36 PM
The wire portion serves two purposes.  The first is to hold the two plastic guides in place the second is to keep tension on the plastic guides.  I am sure you could come up with another way to build this, but I can't think of anything that would accomplish both.

Ok, so you're saying the wire keeps inward tension on the rollers. :scratchchin: Yea, I can see that since the tops of the holes are slotted. It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate those wires so maybe I'll just build my own with some stiff wire. They'll probably last as long as the originals did. I assume in order to reinstall the new ones I'll have to drill out the factory rivets to get that retainer off...

Also, how do you get the white rollers off those studs? Do you just pry/break them off and install the new ones with glue?

gasoline_24

That is a good question I am getting ready to put mine back together this weekend and need to know the same thing.  I haven't looked at them too much so I am not sure.

Shakey

Your best bet is to obtain some complete used assemblies, soak them in penetrating oil to loosen 'em all up and then clean them.  I soaked mine for a few weeks while I was away and they cleaned up great.  Trying to get these things out to repair after the glue lets go will cause you a world of grief.

69*F5*SE

The Ebay part looks to be in excellent condition. Snab it if ya need it. 

bull

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 29, 2009, 05:10:24 PM
That is a good question I am getting ready to put mine back together this weekend and need to know the same thing.  I haven't looked at them too much so I am not sure.

I just got one of these assemblies from Dennis (thanks, man) and the large white roller was busted so I replaced it with one of my new ones yesterday. What I did to replace it is make a yoke out of a piece of scrap metal that's a little larger than the stem, put the yoke in a vise and then slip the large roller on top of it so it is held while you knock out the stem with a punch (I'll take pictures later). The stem is knurled where the roller sits so you just press the roller down onto it with a pair of Channel Locks and it stays put. You have to be careful and go slow though because it can easily go on crooked. It took me several tries to get it on straight.

Dennis K

I'm glad it was something you could use. Were you able to free the small roller that was stuck? I didn't try very hard since I didn't want to break anything.

bull

Quote from: Dennis K on May 04, 2009, 05:34:49 PM
I'm glad it was something you could use. Were you able to free the small roller that was stuck? I didn't try very hard since I didn't want to break anything.

Not yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to worry about it too much. I'll try a few more times but I have to wonder how much those things roll anyway. I'd say it's better to have a stuck one there than nothing.

gasoline_24

I disassembled mine and they still do not roll real well. 

bull

Here's a few pics of how I replaced the rollers on these assemblies if anyone cares.

1. First I found a piece of scrap that had holes in it already and cut out the side of the hole near the end.
2. Made the yoke just wide enough for the spindle and slipped the assembly onto it.
3. Took a punch or drift and knocked the spindle out of the roller and then pressed the new one on with a pair of Channellocks.