News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Working at a parts store.

Started by charger_cody, April 28, 2009, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Ok so my dad saaid he was going to hook me up with a job at autozone. Im VERY nervous cause I havent really remembered everything i have been tought about my charger. Suck as like how the brake system works, all the parts and gaskets of a motor, and LOTS more. Should i be nervous or will they train me? How much should i know going into this?

Thanks guys

Mods I am so very very very very sorry if this is in the wrong spot, if you would please just tell me i would be more than glad to delete it and move it myself.

I think i take the mods to too much of my advantage.  :eyes:

Cody

Rolling_Thunder

Don't worry about it man...    I used to work at AutoZone and let me tell you...   I was the only person there who knew ANYTHING -   

Most people come in asking for a part, and you give them it...     that's all - your job is not to troubleshoot the problem - just provide the parts   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charger_cody

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 28, 2009, 06:07:13 PM
Don't worry about it man...    I used to work at AutoZone and let me tell you...   I was the only person there who knew ANYTHING -   

Most people come in asking for a part, and you give them it...     that's all - your job is not to troubleshoot the problem - just provide the parts   

Well the only thing im really worried about is when someone is trying to explain something that is wrong with their car to me, i wont know whats wrong.

Fitz73Chrgr

I worked at Advance Auto Parts in high school...and they didn't really teach me anything.  Some of the things they did try to teach me, I figured out were wrong.  People will come in and try to get you to troubleshoot their problems, so you ought to read up on some common mechanical problems.  People will also come in, plop a part on the counter, not knowing what it was, and tell you they need a new one.  If you're lucky, it will have a part # on it.  Otherwise, you better hope you recognize what you're looking at.  Don't get too nervous though, it really isn't hard to become one of the more knowledgable people in one of those stores.  You'll get the hang of it. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Silver R/T

I wouldn't worry, usually when I go there I know what I need cause it's useless asking a teenager behind the counter.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

don't worry, if the customer can't tell you the year, make, model AND  size of engine (even if it has nothing to do with the engine, like windshield wipers) you are not responsible for finding it for them.  i have to constantly say i want so-and-so for a 70,71,72, charger as they don't have squat for 66 "in the computer"

i took an alternator in to have it checked and the kid behind the counter looked at it and said "we can't test anything that old", i had to wait for the manager to get back from lunch :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mopar_nut_440_6

I worked in auto and heavy duty parts for about 15 years and managed a parts store. You likely will not get thrown to the wolves as generally they will start you off receiving parts orders, putting parts away and shipping. This will get you familiar with the parts, numbers and locations and will open up the doors for you to ask questions. If they throw you directly on the counter then you will need to ask the more knowledgeable staff for assistance.

A couple suggestions:

Be kind and courteous and lose any attitude (not saying you have one) and people will be "most" times willing to put up with  lack of experience.

Do not be quick to say we do not have that or I can't help unless you know for sure, and I mean for sure. If the customer thinks you may have the part and you say no and he/she asks somebody else and you have it then you will look bad!

I always used a book and wrote every order down with name and phone numbers if a call in. I then would cross these off as I completed them and reviewed regularly to make sure I had not missed anything. Scrap paper is not the way to go as it is too easy to lose them!

If you bring a part in and there will be shipping charges be damn sure to tell the customer.

Do not make promises when bringing in parts as you cannot control factors which may cause your part to not arrive such as supplier sending part to wrong location, airplane crash/delay, truck accident, storms etc. I would always say the part should be here tomorrow, next week, etc  as long as there are no unforeseen circumstances. If they question you on that you can just tell them what I said above!

If you order a part and find out you made a mistake call the customer, be honest and let them know it was your screw up but make sure to call as they will not want to find out at the end of the day the part is not coming. Either way you will be hearing about it so better to deal with it early.

Work hard and do not expect everybody else to carry the load. If you work with slackers then do not let that change your work ethic. When it comes time for a raise or a promotion unless it is a union shop you will stand out and the prize will be yours!

Good luck. Parts can be fun an d rewarding and I do not know where you live but a heavy duty partsman makes about 30 bucks an hour where I live!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69charger2002

and for pete's sake don't answer 10 calls with the customer standing right there in front of you. he got off his ass and DROVE there, don't put the lazy fag that calls in on the phone as first priority. think that touches a nerve with me? you'll be fine, don't be nervous
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

charger_cody

Thanks guys i really appreciate it. But just in case what are some books that i could read to give me basic car trouble shooting and knowledge?

Cody

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on April 29, 2009, 12:34:47 PM
and for pete's sake don't answer 10 calls with the customer standing right there in front of you. he got off his ass and DROVE there, don't put the lazy fag that calls in on the phone as first priority. think that touches a nerve with me? you'll be fine, don't be nervous
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Tilar

Quote from: charger_cody on April 29, 2009, 01:09:34 PM
Thanks guys i really appreciate it. But just in case what are some books that i could read to give me basic car trouble shooting and knowledge?

Cody

Don't worry about reading any books as far as the job at autozone goes... If anything, You can try to sell the customer one of those haynes manuals for their car, Along with the part they think they need. Covers your butt and they are thankful you are trying to help them.  Some parts stores have the books out there without the covers on and you can look up some trouble shooting right there without buying the books.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

defiance

I honestly don't remember the last time I went to auto zone, advance, or any of that sort of store and got a guy who knew more than "make/model/year/part?"  I've gotten into the habit of finding the part I need online and looking up a couple other cars the same part is in.  (especially since so many of the parts on my car are non-stock!)  As far as I can tell, they only expect you to know how to type the above info into a computer.  Anything on top of that is icing.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: defiance on April 29, 2009, 02:33:20 PM
I honestly don't remember the last time I went to auto zone, advance, or any of that sort of store and got a guy who knew more than "make/model/year/part?"  I've gotten into the habit of finding the part I need online and looking up a couple other cars the same part is in.  (especially since so many of the parts on my car are non-stock!)  As far as I can tell, they only expect you to know how to type the above info into a computer.  Anything on top of that is icing.

I am lucky I guess, many if the parts people I knew 25 years ago are still working so there is a lot of knowledge there.

The crappy thing is that much is on computer and many of the old catalogs have been discarded which were the best tools you could have. I remember old fellas coming in with brake parts off of old tractors and saying I need one of these. All the info you had was a make and no model year. The old catalogs used to have pretty good part number interchanges and pictorial sections. Many times you would find some thing in an old catalog for  a line you no longer carried and would keep using cross references and some tricky detective work until you found what you wanted, something that would work or perhaps repair parts. Sometimes an hour work for a 50 cent part but the customer was tickled! The old fellas I worked with would see these guys coming in the door and run!

You will face many challenges but keep your chin up and go with the flow.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude