News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

enough battery?

Started by metcoll, May 01, 2009, 05:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metcoll

I have a 70 dodge charger that has a 440 with msd box & billet distributor...motor is mild build hyd. cam six pack pistons, headers....question is my battery is a mopar 600 cold cranking amp battery....i was told that this is not enough for msd to work properly at higher rpm's....if not how much cold cranking amps should i have thx.........

acelondon

Long:

it only takes about 300 to start a big block if i remember correctly, and less than 100 at max RPM id bet, after all, a normal alternator is 60amp. I have a 1000CCA battery in my 318 charger, but i also have a ludicrous sound system and forget to turn my amps off. The big thing on batteries is Reserve Capacity, and for some reason, to my disdain, the don't label it on car batteries. Cold Crank Amps is the max current the battery can deliver at 0deg F. The reserve is how long teh car will stay running if the alternator goes, or you pull more current than the alternator can dish out.

Short:
I think you'll be fine. Drive around with you high beams on and your radio cranked and see if you battery voltages drops over a 10 min period. Another option, is call MSD and ask what they think.

Nacho-RT74

as far you increases the batt ampearage, you would need a higher output alternator... reason:

A low or discharged high amps batt will take DAYS to get fully charger back with stock alt mainly because THEY DON'T CHARGE AT IDDLE, making the weaks points OVERHEAT UP TO MELTING POINT because the constant stress on charging system power coming and going on high levels through it when the alt TRIES to get the batt fully charged again. This weak points are bulkhead, ammeter and stock wire itself.

Remember the batt also demands power back like any car device. Batt ALWAYS tends to be fully charged just because chemical balance inside, so a poor alt will never get the power back to the batt, making stress on system.

The two best combos you can get for a healthy charging system are:

-HIGH AMP BATT ( 800-1000 ) WITH HIGH OUTPUT ALT
-MED AMP BATT ( 500-700 ) WITH HIGH OUTPUT ALT

As you can see in both options the high output alt is recomended. They get charge at iddle what is the SAFE way to keep the car on a perfect balance. What definitelly is WRONG is combine stock alt with high amperage batts.

some advices about some upgrades KEEPING the ammeter working:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33574.0.html

Note that a high output alt DOEsN'T FEED ITS FULLY OUTPUT POWER all the time as far car doen't requires, just feed what car demands, so everything will be safe even with 200 amps alternator.

Of course fuse links are required to keep everything safe in every case
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Nachos 100% correct, these cars SUCK at charging at idle. Sometimes at a light if my fans come on and i have the radio on ill even hold the brake and get the rpm's to 1000-1100 or so just so the alt is putting out some and its not all on the battery.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres the battery that cranks my 440 ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 01, 2009, 10:09:27 PM

Now that is a cool idea! Nice job. Where did you get the OEM case from?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on May 04, 2009, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 01, 2009, 10:09:27 PM

Now that is a cool idea! Nice job. Where did you get the OEM case from?

Bought it from New castle battery 8+ years ago

I got about 7+ years out of that wet filled battery....it still worked before I gutted it....definitely not a job for the faint of heart :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T