News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on converting 68 Charger to 4 speed

Started by MoparMotel, April 27, 2009, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I have been considering converting my '68 Charger to a 4 speed a lot lately. It is a 1968 Dodge Charger 383 Magnum column shift automatic. I want to convert the car to a 4 speed on the floor NO console. What all am i going to need to start looking for parts wise. Here are the things I have thought of, please let me know if i am missing anything or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Parts:
Steering column piece to get rid of column shift mount
Complete clutch and brake pedal set up
Mopar 833 4 speed transmission
Bellhousing?
Shifter
Shifter linkage
Boot that goes on floor for shifter
1968 Dodge Charger

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

MoparMotel

Thanks Dan, Looks a lot more detailed than I thought.
1968 Dodge Charger

mopar_nut_440_6

It will be a pretty easy conversion. All stock parts which bolt in with the exception of the 4 speed hump. Your 383 will love the 4 speed and you will love it more!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

green69rt

Quote from: MoparMotel on April 27, 2009, 07:18:55 PM
I have been considering converting my '68 Charger to a 4 speed a lot lately. It is a 1968 Dodge Charger 383 Magnum column shift automatic. I want to convert the car to a 4 speed on the floor NO console. What all am i going to need to start looking for parts wise. Here are the things I have thought of, please let me know if i am missing anything or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Parts:
Bellhousing?
Shifter
Shifter linkage

I notice you list the steering column piece to get rid of the column shift.  This seems like a easy swap.  Take a while to find out how to do this.  I don't think it's very easy,  I plan on doing the same thing and I got the replacement collar off of an old car and it was not easy (ruined the old column.)

MoparMotel

Quote from: green69rt on April 29, 2009, 10:07:34 PM

Thanks!

Parts:
Bellhousing?
Shifter
Shifter linkage

I notice you list the steering column piece to get rid of the column shift.  This seems like a easy swap.  Take a while to find out how to do this.  I don't think it's very easy,  I plan on doing the same thing and I got the replacement collar off of an old car and it was not easy (ruined the old column.)

Will do thanks for the tip!
1968 Dodge Charger

green69rt

Quote from: MoparMotel on April 30, 2009, 01:51:03 AM
Quote from: green69rt on April 29, 2009, 10:07:34 PM

Thanks!

Parts:
Bellhousing?
Shifter
Shifter linkage

Will do thanks for the tip!

If you get some good info on how to do it, please post cause I'm heading in the same direction.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 28, 2009, 12:34:28 AM
It will be a pretty easy conversion. All stock parts which bolt in with the exception of the 4 speed hump. Your 383 will love the 4 speed and you will love it more!

And the z-bar bracket, it will also need to be welded to the top of the left frame rail.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68RRFlyer

I'll be doing this conversion on my 69 very shortly.  Mine is a column shift too and I'll be going the non-cosole route as well.  I've got all the parts ready to go, but with customer cars coming first, I'm just waiting for the time to do it.  I'll be swaping out the column for a 4-spd donor column instead of converting mine over.  Don't forget the firewall bracket that the clutch pedal bolts too.  That weak firewall will give way over time without it installed.  A good source for all the parts if you get stuck is Jamie Passon at Passon Performance. I'll be posting a complete step by step swap with pictures when I do it on my 69 Charger site.  I'll post a link here for reference too.  Good luck!

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

375instroke

Probably easier to find a complete column.  Who would have just that piece.  A lot of work to remove to just have lying around.  There's also the shift tube you'll still have in there.  Your crank needs to have been machined for a pilot bushing.  I think there is a new design that fits in the torque converter register if not.  Obviously you need the bushing itself.  There's the reverse light and wiring.  On the firewall, there is a reinforcement bar about 3" to 4" just outboard of the master cylinder.  You can see the two dimples where the holes go on cars without it.

Runner

if youve been thinking about it DO IT, its the best thing ive ever done to my 68 satellite!    you cantake the shft lever off your column until you find the right steering column or upper part for your column. i was able to get the right upper part when i converted mine.  i did mine for around 2k,all i had to start with was a bell housing.   my wife is now wanting her pink car converted to an a833.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

the input shaft bearing adapter is available from your local mopar dealer.  you will have to cut a little off the end of the tranny but not a big deal.   you can get thenm with a bushing or a roller bearing.    the most over priced piece in the hole swap is the clutch fork

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six