News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

blinkers flashing too fast

Started by charge-it, April 25, 2009, 01:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge-it

What could cause the blinkers to flash really fast? My hazzard lights also do the same thing. Everything functions ok it's just that they flash really fast.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

A383Wing

you didn't install any LED lights did ya?

Either a short is present, or maybe a bad flasher...get an electronic style, they work better

John_Kunkel

A HD flasher or LED lights usually make them flash slower, the higher the current draw the faster they will flash. The hazards and the turn signals use the same filament in each bulb but different flasher units.

If the replacement bulbs are higher candlepower than stock the higher current draw will shorten the flash cycle time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charge-it

I don't have any l.e.d. lights. I'm was just curious as to why both the hazard lights and also the blinkers are flashing so fast. I'll start by installing the correct bulbs. If the problem persists then maybe I'll try a couple of new flashers.
Visit our new website:

Topher

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 25, 2009, 03:39:37 PM
a HD flasher would cause that

Nope. When a bulb burns out, what happens? The other one flashes faster. LED lights will do the same thing requiring you to install a heavy duty flasher. I had to do that on my service truck when I installed LED tail/stop lights. 2003 Chevy truck, and it's $80+ at the dealer.

Check the bulb ends and sockets for wear, or corrosion. You may also have a ground issue. Is there a ground strap going from the block to the body?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

A383Wing

Quote from: Topher on April 25, 2009, 08:01:43 PM

Nope. When a bulb burns out, what happens? The other one flashes faster. LED lights will do the same thing requiring you to install a heavy duty flasher. I had to do that on my service truck when I installed LED tail/stop lights. 2003 Chevy truck, and it's $80+ at the dealer.

:iagree: :iamwithstupid:

charge-it

First off all I started by swapping out the 1157 rear bulbs to the correct 1054 bulbs. I also installed two new 1073 reverse light bulbs. The lights blinked a little slower, but still way too fast. I stood back and thought about it for few minutes. I remembered back to when I restored my dash. I installed a good but second hand main wiring harness. I also installed a nice second hand slider type ashtray that already had two new looking flashers on it. This ashtray assembly has the two square type clips on each side of it for the hazzard and turn signal flashers. Well, I believe some a-body cars also use this slider type ashtray assembly and maybe this is where this one came from, I just don't know for sure. Anyways, I pulled the two flashers off and compared them to the two flashers that were in my original harness which I hung on to. Guess what, they were different part numbers. The correct ones have the number 175 on them and the ones that were in my car were marked 142. Immediately after swapping the flashers everything started working properly. Now I have a new problem, one of the canceling cams on my turn signal switch broke off. I'm usually a very calm person but I did get fustrated today and was ready to put this project on ice. I'm almost done with this resto at about 95% complete. I'm on the home stretch and still have a few more electrical gremlins to chase down. before I can install the bulk of my interior. So, if I bombard you guys with alot of questions in the next few weeks  please forgive me, it's because I would like to finish this car and at least put a few miles on this beast. I'm going to have my factory service manual memorized before it's over...
Visit our new website:

maxwellwedge

A383Wing

acelondon

got to Advance and pick up an electronic (cap and timer) style HD flasher for 4$. :Twocents: