News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

once and for all wheel question

Started by Foreman72, April 18, 2009, 02:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Quote from: defiance on April 24, 2009, 03:17:41 PM
That tire has a section width of around 12.1".  For comparison, my 315 has a section width of 12.6.  4" backspace on an 8" is -12 offset, where mine's a +28, adjusted to about +15 with the spacer.  That puts me at 6.9" actual tire backspace.  With your section width of 12.1 and a -12 offset, your actual tire bs is around 5.5".  I'm about 1" from my spring, so you'd be 2.4" from the offset spring, which is offset 1-1/4", so right just over an inch from the stock spring location.  So you should be fine on the back side...

I'd be worried about the front though...  My tire extends 5.7" from the front of the hub, where yours would be about an inch further out.  Clearance with the fender is a bit harder to measure.  1" further out might be ok, but .... I dunno.  I think you'd be better off with 4.5" backspacing  (0 offset)...   On the other hand, you'll probably be adding a good bit of fender clearance with the 1" lift.

well i don't have to go with the lift (which was just gonna be in the back, idk how heavily that affects the front :shruggy: )...i just want the wheel wells in the back to be nice and full and i'd like the best hookup i can get...and inch from the stock spring location isn't that bad...are there any performance advantages to a relo kit?

and i just looked, cragar has 15x7s w 4.125 bs...will that work?

man are these cragar sizes fussy :brickwall:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

defiance

sorry, I'm being confusing - when I said I'd be worried about the "front", I meant the outside edge of the back (I was using "front" to describe "in front of the hub, if you define the spring as "behind" the hub)  - what you mentioned for the front wheels & tires looks fine to me :) 

I was just saying that in the back, with the 4" backspace 8" wheel with 295/50/15's, the outside-most point of your tire will be 1" further out than mine are, which would make me nervous - I've got a lot of fender clearance (probably 2 inches or so at the closest with suspension fully loaded), so you'll probably be OK, especially since your lift will give you additional rear fender clearance.  Still, that's the part you want to look out for, fender clearance.

I don't think the relo kit has any performance advantages by itself, just allows for a little more tire.  295 is still a lot of tread! though :D