News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trailer Tow hitch for 68 Charger, How much can it handle ? ? ?

Started by skip68, April 22, 2009, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I want to put a tow hitch on my car so I can tow a small pop-up trailer.   Where can I get the hitch and what is the max weight rating ?  Anybody done this ?    Thank's,  :cheers:   Chuck........... 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

knitz01

skip68

I saw a few posts long ago about a few members that wanted to tow a pop-up trailer behind their chargers.  I just need to find a hitch that works and know the limits.  I remember one guy that did tow a tent trailer and another guy said he towed a 16ft boat with his.   I know they will tow a trailer. Back in the day allot of people towed trailers with cars and station wagons, before all the crewcab trucks were around.   :yesnod: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

captnsim

I used to tow a 14' speed boat with a 89 Trans Am.  :D Got me some strange looks. I just moved the front post back a bit to reduce the tongue weight. A popup is fairly light so this shouldn't be a issue for you.   Finding a premade hitch will be the hardest part...I'd stick with a class 1, 2000 pound setup. I imagine your going to make custom brackets anyways. So maybe just make the whole thing from scratch? The ball mount is just flat stock with a few holes drilled in it...

skip68

:cheers:   My biggest question is tongue weight.  I'll do some more searching.   I had a crazy idea of painting the trailer to match the General complete with decals.  :yesnod:   How's that for white trash ?   :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: skip68 on April 23, 2009, 01:11:11 PM
:cheers:   My biggest question is tongue weight.  I'll do some more searching.   I had a crazy idea of painting the trailer to match the General complete with decals.  :yesnod:   How's that for white trash ?   :icon_smile_big:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   yup  whiskey tango 

tongue weight    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

skip68

:shruggy:   Yes, tongue weight.  If you slap me stuart, I'll slap you back  :slap:   :nana:   OK, maybe I would just paint the trailer orange to match the car without decals.   I still want to be just a little white trash.   :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: skip68 on April 23, 2009, 01:52:31 PM
:shruggy:   Yes, tongue weight.  If you slap me stuart, I'll slap you back  :slap:   :nana:   OK, maybe I would just paint the trailer orange to match the car without decals.   I still want to be just a little white trash.   :icon_smile_big:
you keep bad touching me   :slap: :slap: :slap:    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

skip68

captnsim

How so Stuart???...to much tongue weight on the rear...  :scratchchin:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :slap:

skip68

The rear should handle the tongue ------of the pop-up trailer.   :smilielol: :yesnod:   Oh man, where is this going.   :rofl:

moparstuart

you should conside a deep aluminum finned tranny pan and a bigger trans cooler up in front of the radiator also.

and then tow away.     Heat kills trannys keep em cool and they will keep you moving .

skip68

:scratchchin:   I have a B&M 3000 stall,  is that going to be a problem ?

mopar_nut_440_6

When you get it all  together I want to see burnout pics and donuts with the trailer!  :yesnod: :yesnod:

The oval track boys in our town do a race with demolition cars towing trailers around a 3/8 oval!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69charger2002

Quote from: skip68 on April 23, 2009, 02:34:34 PM
:scratchchin:   I have a B&M 3000 stall,  is that going to be a problem ?

i'd move up to the B&M 4000, special tow version
kidding of course
sucks i've had at least 3 chargers i remember with tow hitches on them, i know 2 were factory. i either left them on the cars or sold them as is, never took one off as i never had plans to tow with one. i would have given it to ya! lol oh well if i get another...
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

I'VE got a hitch off a hemi superbird somewhere but cant remember what i did with it   

bordin34

If you have your owners manual it should actually say how much it can tow, I know my 74 and 73 says it.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

UFO

From the 69 towing catalog.
I would say a 3000 stall will be a problem.

UFO

Ooops-Posted the 69-Here's the 68 version.

skip68

captnsim

Ahhhh...you will have to remove those wide wheels if you try to tow that much. I would also advise trailer brakes.

skip68

I plan to stay under 3000lbs.   Trailer brakes,  you bet.   :cheers:

Green71R/T

My 71 R/T has the trailer towing package.Unfortunately the hitch itself is long gone but I still have the holes in the original bumper and the trunk floor.Thank God it was bolted in and not welded in.

Brock Samson

I bought a hitch for mine,.. i also bought a two inch drop and ball,.. cause i had always planned to buy an air stream trailer, but, whenever i mention hooking it up folks do this....   :ahum:
but now, since I've  bought a fully self contained 440 class-A motor home I don't really need to tow anything now... the chinook has a built in tow hitch..
  Chuck, as for the finnish i'd think you'd want it to match that ford front bumper guard...
I have everything ready to go,.. 727 heavy duty everything and 3:23 gears,.. just haven't put it on,.. i suspect it would be a good way to keep folks from tapping my rear while parked....  :eek2:  :shruggy: wait,.. that didn't come out right...  :scratchchin: thanks for the vintage Lit. and drawings UFO,.. click save, print...

:2thumbs:

UFO

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 24, 2009, 09:00:35 AM

thanks for the vintage Lit. and drawings UFO,.. click save, print...

:2thumbs:

Your welcome.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40463.40.html
Scroll down to my post.The smaller pop ups tow with ease.
At that time the charger had a 340+6 , 3:55 gears,trans cooler rolled 2000 miles no problems.