News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What all goes against the glass when mounting quarter windows?

Started by bull, May 07, 2009, 07:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

This topic was discussed briefly in a related thread but I can't find it. Anyway, what all goes on both sides of the quarter window glass? IIRC there's at least one rubber washer that goes against the cupped washer but is there anything else?

I found some new rubber washers at Lowe's that look like they'll work. Also grabbed some nylon washers and was thinking of using them for added protection. Think it's necessary?

Charger-Bodie

There needs to be one washer on each side of the glass. Of the 2 choices you have there Id opt for the nylon ones.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

I was thinking of putting the rubber against the glass and then the nylon washers between the rubber and the cupped metal washer. :shruggy:

Also, I could not get the 1/4" bolts out of the aluminum frame without snapping them off (typical) and then I screwed up and drilled out one of the bolt holes off-center so I ended up having to go with new 5/16" holes to use for mounting the windows now. You think some Never Sieze would help keep the new bolts from getting stuck?

Shakey

There is also a small piece of rubber that goes around the bolt itself.  From the factory it was part of one of the washers but when I installed my QTR windows I made my own rubber gaskets for the washers and used a small piece of rubber hose to go over the bolt that goes through th window.

I may have pictures, but not handy.

Charger-Bodie

Rubber is a bad idea, Because eventually the convex washer is going to cut thru the rubber  . Then you risk the window shattering .

The original washers were not rubber. There is suposed to be a shot peice of hose protecting the window from the bolts threads though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

I still have the original hose/spacer. Looks like it's just a chunk of washer fluid tube and instead of that I was thinking of using a nylon spacer there too. I'll probably just go all nylon. :2thumbs:

4aThrill

at Lowe's they have a rubber shaft deal with threads inside of it I used that for the middle with them washers you found between the rubber. the rubber itself is thick and the threads/or where the bolt screw goes through is thin so it holds together pretty well with a lock washer or nylon nut,  :cheers: ya I know kinda lost with words right now on meds right now had surgery earlier today  :lol: