News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use or have experience with semi-tubular rivets?

Started by bull, April 30, 2009, 09:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

There seems to be several applications on our cars where semi-tubular and tubular rivits are used but I've never used anything but pop-rivets. Is there a certain type of gun used for them or do people use ball-peen hammers or what? Is it difficult to get the rivets and do they have to be sized very accurately to the application?

NMike

i've used them at work. you need a special rivet gun. if you use a hammer, it will look like ass.

gasoline_24

Hanson Rivet sells a peening tool and cup to do them by hand.  You can also buy a tool.  The peening tool is around 25 and the cup is around 16.

mopar_nut_440_6

I used to work in a body shop which repaired semi's and trailers which used 1000's of these rivets. We had a tip which fit into an air hammer which was concave and fit over the head of the rivet. One guy on the front of the panel used this while a guy on the back held a steel dolly on the rear. Quick and easy!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

runningman

I also have the hand peening tools from Hanson's.  It would be nice to have two people when using them though.  I am had a buddy at work make up a holder for the cup part and may try to mount that into a drill press or something like that to press them instead of using a hammer.

bull

Quote from: jerry on May 07, 2009, 09:55:48 PM
where are these used?

I don't think there are any blind rivets anywhere on my 68. Every rivet I've seen on it is tubular. The one place I can think of off the top of my head where they're used is the heater box, and it has several of them.

runningman