News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rollcage in a 68 pro touring.

Started by suntech, April 22, 2009, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suntech

Hi guys.
As some of you know, i am going pro touring style with my 68. I have already purchased a lot of parts, so the baseline of the build is set, but lately i have been leaning towards more of a "race" look, and thinking about putting in a rollcage.
It will be a pretty wild ride when done, so i will benefit from the extra chassis rigidity it will give me, but i want something NICE and functional, not just functional. What do you guys think? Is there anything to get, or would i need to fabricate my own? 
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

yeahitsgotahemi!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47369.0.html

Here's my rollcage. I wanted something functional and nice as well. The door bars are what seperate my rollcage from others I've seen, as do the gussets. This was my first attempt at a cage. Built at home in my garage, so it can be done. I used a JD2 tube bender and was very happy with the quality of the bends and the price for my purposes.

"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

bigred68

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on April 22, 2009, 07:11:07 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47369.0.html

Here's my rollcage. I wanted something functional and nice as well. The door bars are what seperate my rollcage from others I've seen, as do the gussets. This was my first attempt at a cage. Built at home in my garage, so it can be done. I used a JD2 tube bender and was very happy with the quality of the bends and the price for my purposes.

Very nice. I'm thinking about doing this too. Thank you!!
:cheers:

Mike DC

I would not even try to get a pre-bent cage to work.  Just about every decent cage I've ever seen in a musclecar of any kind has been a custom job. 

You need to decide whether you're trying to meet any certain sanctioning body's rules ahead of time.  Decide how streetable/compromised you want it to be.  Decide how much you're willing to cut on the car.  All these factors make a BIG difference in how you wanna do the cage.

There was a series of articles on Mark Steilow's "The Mule" 1969 Camaro project in "Popular Hot Rodding" magazine a few years ago.  I remember the rollcage talk in there was really good. 

suntech

I remember i saw the show with the Mule build too, and i am totally agree Mike, it had to be "Mule" quality :2thumbs:
The reason for thinking down this road, is some of the colorchoices i am thinking of, is leaning towards a little less bling, and more racey look, and new rules here in Norway, that will allow it (Norwegian DOT).
I would still want a NICE interior, and if i do this, it would to meet relevant regulations, even if main purpose would be to stiffen up the body. Kinda stupid to go through the hassle, and make it useless, if i wanted  to "take a little roadtrip in Nevada" :D
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

471_Magnum

Don't have pictures of my Cuda handy (you might do a search to find some in the archive), but it has a very functional/streetable cage. It's six point with drop down door bars. No adult would ever be able to get in the back seat, but my four year old can squeeze back there. Intrusion into the usuable trunk space is minimal.

It is a custom job performed by a local race car fabricator, and the craftmanship is excellent. The PO had it installed, and he may have gotten "friend pricing", but the bill was only about $600.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

suntech

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas here! :2thumbs:

Btw 471 magnum, loved this one: 
QuoteCrate motors are for pussies
:2thumbs: :D :D