News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taking care of elderly parents and dental care

Started by hemi68charger, April 22, 2009, 12:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Just got a slap in the face today.. I've taken on caring for my mother (step-mom).. Luckily before Dad passed away back in '97, he had the foresight to get the type of insurance coverage, through the post office where he retired, that covers medical.. But, it does NOTHING for dental. Well, my Mom totally let her teeth go and my wife just got back from the Dentist and she has major problems. So much so that it would be thousands to take care of her short of just pulling them. Anyone know of any elderly assistance for either the person or caretakers which would help?

Any guidance would be great...
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RECHRGD

I'm not sure if Medicare has any dental coverage or not, but it would be worth looking into.  Good for you on stepping up to help out your elderly parent.  I'm approaching "elderly" status and my kids still want me to take care of them.  Financially anyway. :flame: :flame:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

hemi68charger

Medicare and Medicad pay absolutely nothing........... Nada...................
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

PocketThunder

What did people do back in the old days before Dental insurance?   :shruggy: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mopar_nut_440_6

My father also passed a number of years ago and my mother has spent literally thousands of dollars on her teeth (average of 2000/yr over last 10 years) , root canal here, this fix, that fix and finally got pissed off last year, got a quote of 2500 for a new dentures. She then had them remove her teeth make dentures and has had no issues since. Just her situation but maybe worth thinking about.

Good on you for looking after your mother in law!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 22, 2009, 03:36:34 PM
My father also passed a number of years ago and my mother has spent literally thousands of dollars on her teeth (average of 2000/yr over last 10 years) , root canal here, this fix, that fix and finally got pissed off last year, got a quote of 2500 for a new dentures. She then had them remove her teeth make dentures and has had no issues since. Just her situation but maybe worth thinking about.

Thanks for the input.. She's actually my Mom... Kim's Mom is functioning perfectly still.. Mine, with us, has dementia already at 65.... We talked about dentures, but the dentist will not pull teeth, regardless how bad they are, without trying to save them first, regardless of the cost...

T
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 22, 2009, 04:08:07 PM

Thanks for the input.. She's actually my Mom... Kim's Mom is functioning perfectly still.. Mine, with us, has dementia already at 65.... We talked about dentures, but the dentist will not pull teeth, regardless how bad they are, without trying to save them first, regardless of the cost...

T
how convinent for his wallet   :smilielol:  but not yours

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mopar_nut_440_6

T

Try another dentist! Somebody will do it!

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

WingCharger

Sorry I don't have any info for ya, but...

I know taking care of your teeth is important though. A guy we knew, an old mechanic who ran a tire shop, didn't take care of his teeth. I saw his shop was empty one day, and found out he had died from an infection spreading from a tooth to his heart. :rotz: :rotz: Nicest guy you ever would have met too.

hemi68charger

Thanks Mike and all... I appreciate all your input. I'm a firm believer in taking care of yourself and family, but also know I'm 30+K in debt just from her move here and yes, it doesn't hurt and effect our day-to-day financial decisions...

Troy
Troy

69DodgeCharger

T

Absolutely.....find another dentist. At the age of 65 it is probably better to move on to dentures for her. Probably close to $3,500 by the time all is said and done to get her fixed up. Ask for recommendations. I have heard many horror stories of dentures that don't fit so the patients won't wear them. I also had a friend that would be absolutely incapacited by the pain and infections from his teeth for days at a time and he was only in his mid to late 20's. Poor kid that never had any dental training or care.....until it was to late.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

squeakfinder

Hey Hemi68chaarger, I'm glad that your taking care of your mom. My wife works in adult foster care, and told me that when and if the time ever comes, she will quit her job and take care of my mom who is the only living parent amongst the two of us.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

68charger383

Another option is to look and see if there are any dental schools in the area. They will usually offer free/low cost services to the elderly/needy etc.

Based on your local per your profile, here's one:

http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/

Welcome to UT Dental Branch Clinics

The Dental Branch offers a wide range of oral health care programs for patients at the student, graduate and faculty level. These clinics provide general dentistry, dental hygiene and speciality services, including endodontics, oral pathology, oral surgery, orthodontics, periodontics, pediatric dentistry, and prosthodontics. Prospective patients can select which clinic meets their needs:

Student Clinics

Dental Student Clinics - Care is provided by 2nd-year, 3rd-year or 4th-year dental students under the direct supervision of our clinical faculty.
Dental Hygiene Student Clinics - Care is provided by 1st-year or 2nd-year dental hygiene students under the direct supervision of our clinical faculty.
Graduate Student Clinics - Care is provided by graduate students ("residents") in general dentistry, endodontics (root canals), oral pathology, oral surgery, orthodontics (braces), Periodontics (gums), pediatric dentistry (children), and prosthodontics (missing teeth).
UT Dentists (Faculty Practice) - Care is provided by our outstanding clinical faculty in a private practice setting.

Fees

We will inform you in advance of all anticipated treatment costs.  Fees may vary depending on which teaching program you receive treatment.  However, the Dental Branch does not discount fees. Dental student and dental hygiene student clinic fees average about one-third of typical private practice fees. Graduate student clinics average about two-thirds of typical private practice.  And UT Dentists (Faculty Practice) are consistent with private practice fees.  All treatment requires payment of fees at the time dental services are provided and must be paid at check-in prior to your appointment, except UT Dentists which does accept many insurance benefit assignments. The school accepts cash, check or major credit card, except in Assessment or Emergency Clinics, which accept cash or credit card only.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68charger383 on April 22, 2009, 10:43:49 PM
Another option is to look and see if there are any dental schools in the area. They will usually offer free/low cost services to the elderly/needy etc.

Based on your local per your profile, here's one:

http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/

Welcome to UT Dental Branch Clinics

The Dental Branch offers a wide range of oral health care programs for patients at the student, graduate and faculty level. These clinics provide general dentistry, dental hygiene and speciality services, including endodontics, oral pathology, oral surgery, orthodontics, periodontics, pediatric dentistry, and prosthodontics. Prospective patients can select which clinic meets their needs:

Student Clinics

Dental Student Clinics - Care is provided by 2nd-year, 3rd-year or 4th-year dental students under the direct supervision of our clinical faculty.
Dental Hygiene Student Clinics - Care is provided by 1st-year or 2nd-year dental hygiene students under the direct supervision of our clinical faculty.
Graduate Student Clinics - Care is provided by graduate students ("residents") in general dentistry, endodontics (root canals), oral pathology, oral surgery, orthodontics (braces), Periodontics (gums), pediatric dentistry (children), and prosthodontics (missing teeth).
UT Dentists (Faculty Practice) - Care is provided by our outstanding clinical faculty in a private practice setting.

Fees

We will inform you in advance of all anticipated treatment costs.  Fees may vary depending on which teaching program you receive treatment.  However, the Dental Branch does not discount fees. Dental student and dental hygiene student clinic fees average about one-third of typical private practice fees. Graduate student clinics average about two-thirds of typical private practice.  And UT Dentists (Faculty Practice) are consistent with private practice fees.  All treatment requires payment of fees at the time dental services are provided and must be paid at check-in prior to your appointment, except UT Dentists which does accept many insurance benefit assignments. The school accepts cash, check or major credit card, except in Assessment or Emergency Clinics, which accept cash or credit card only.

Thanks again all..
I called UT ( my Alma Mater ) and they are closed until the semester starts again. I will call them for they open again on the 25th of May for the next semester. I also found a dentist volunteer organization in Texas, I'll be filling out that application soon....

Troy
Troy