News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ipods

Started by Todd Wilson, November 12, 2005, 11:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Anyone got the new 30g or 60g Ipod that just come out? The one with the video? Was wondering how it worked and how you go about obtaining video. I understand its an MPEG 4 format on the video. Are you stuck buying videos and stuff from their service? How much is the service?   I am thinking of getting one and would like to know how it works with the PC and getting my files on it.  I have no problems having to do a convert of formats for the IPOD but it seems info on this sort of thing is vague online.

Todd

BigBlockSam

no i don't but i can't find my ipod, man i f'd up. i think i lost it.   :flame:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ChargerBill

Todd, things are developing so fast, I don't imagine it will be too long before you can convert your DVD's to Mpeg4 and load them onto your iPod. Maybe do a search for DVD to Mpeg4 compression software.

BTW: I believe is the originator MPEG4 tecnology is owner by a consorteum, so it should be widely available fairly soon.

EDIT: In fact, this may be justt what you need. I didn't delv into it too much, but it might be worth a look.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_43_ENU.html
Life is a highway...

Todd Wilson

Well I bought a IPOD video 30gig today. Seems to be a kick ass little unit. Video is pretty good off the little screen. Music is good. I do notice the lower quality MP3 songs I had really stand out crappy on the IPOD compared to my other MP3 player. You got to have good stuff on the IPOD to get good sound. I found an outfit called Xilisoft   that has a IPOD suite. A converter of video formats to the MP4 IPOD format. Does things on the fly and simple to use.   It also comes with a DVD ripper to rip movies off DVD and then you can convert that file into a MP4 IPOD file. That is going to take some time to do. All this conversion stuff takes tons of computer time. I have been running my 3.2ghz laptop at redline for 3 hours now. Constant HD and fan at high speed.

The ITunes program that comes with the IPOD seems to be rather complicated in my opinion. Some things are confusing to me.

Spending the evening converting and moving the giant amount of data I have is just amazing. 50meg files processed down to 25-30meg for video music.     MP3's are 3-4meg a piece.   I am about to try a 700meg movie and then RIP a DVD. All very time consuming.

I bought a video cable for it. What they dont tell you at APPLE is you can use a basic A/V cable for a digital camcorder.   Has the headphone jack and then the 2RCA's for sound and 1 RCA for video. They dont tell you that APPLE has switched the right channel and video cables around on their products so you got to remember this when hooking up to the line in on the VCR for your TV. Video on the TV is between VHS and DVD. Not bad for a small liittle unit.

One other thing they dont tell you about is the IPOD gets its power/recharge from the USB port on your computer. The problem I have is you cant be a long time without access to a computer. You can buy a docking station for it that appears to plug into the wall and will charge the IPOD via AC outlet. I was hoping that perhaps I could load the IPOD with music and video and take it on a trip with me but I will have to drag along the laptop also just to provide recharging power for it. This I think sucks.

Good thing is theres tons of aftermarket stuff coming out as fast as it can. I am hoping there may be some AC charging products out there. Some are making hacks for the IPOD and some even say they will be able to play DOOM on it! We shall see!

Todd

Silver R/T

i dont think its necessity to get one at all
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Andrew

IMO Ipods are over priced and too easy to break.

My mp3 player has fallen out of windows, been thrown at walls, been thrown at people, slid down a steep hill with me on top of it and has been in my pocket when I couldnt stop in time and slammed my bike into a brick wall (I landed on it).
It is still in perfect working order.
It may not have a gazillion MB harddrivre, but if it did it would probibly be broken by now even if I was being extra careful with it.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img