News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I have a proven combination for 4-wheel disc brake setup. For anyone interested.

Started by Corellian Corvette, April 16, 2009, 02:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Last night I believe ended my journey for a 4-wheel disc brake setup that I am now very, very happy with. I've seen tons of posts about various setups, and a lot of opinions, but rarely a specific recipe for an effective system.

I'm not saying this is the cheapest solution out there. But again, I can confirm this works, performs well, and requires no modifications at all to the body. Also - if you use this shopping list, you will definitely save several hundred dollars over what I have, as I now have a lot of useless brake parts.

My criteria for the conversion

1. No permanent modifications to the body. No welding, no cutting. Needed to bolt on.
2. I wanted it to look somewhat "factory"
3. Use as many Chrysler parts as possible.
4. Had to fit my 15in American Racing Vectors.

Here's the setup I have ultimately used (with part numbers).

1.   MP Brakes Front Cross-drilled and slotted Rotors (DB1302BHP)
2.   MP Brakes Rear Cross Drilled and slotted Rotors Bottom Kit (DB1300BHPR)
3.   MP Brakes Disc/Disc Combination Valve (VL3359A)
4.   Disc/Drum Master Cylinder (1971+ Dodge Charger) Napa (UP-3607)
5.   Original BENDIX power brake booster, rebuilt by Booster Dewey (http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/) Really, really nice guy to talk to. If you get a Bendix booster from a non-Charger application, he can put the correct rod in for you. You need to find this yourself.
6.   Custom lines from INLINE TUBE (http://www.inlinetube.com/)
7.   Speed Bleeders (10mm x 1.5 rear, 3/8 x 24 front) I *highly* recommend the speed bleeder install. It truly makes bleeding a one man, no mess job.

Obviously, the rear discs with integral parking brake is not a Chrysler part – it's out of an 84+ Cadillac. The internal parking brake seems to work very well actually, despite what I had heard. It holds the car just fine. You need to set it up exactly as in the instructions (turns out mine were setup fine out of the box) and you need to use it every time to keep it adjusted.

A couple other comments on this setup.

First, I see no reason that one of the less-expensive front bottom end kits would not work in place of the MP brakes version. It looks like all the vendors are essentially selling the same kits. So while it seems they would work exactly the same, I have not tested them.

Second, I did not like the Disc/Disc master cylinder that came with the MP brakes kit. It did not give me firm and linear pedal travel, so I tried the 1971 + Disc/Drum MC from NAPA and I'm very happy with the way it works. It does not appear to have affected braking performance, but I think the slightly smaller bore size gives a little more linear pressure.

Finally – CALL INLINE TUBE and tell them what you are doing!! If you are replacing brake lines, they can actually provide the correct pre-bent lines for this setup. It turns out, they do the lines for MP Brakes. If you tell them you are installing an MP Brakes Disc Brake Kit – they already have all the correct lines pre-bent to correctly place the new disc/disc combination valve. THIS IS IMPORTANT! The combination valve for a disc brake application is different than the small brass distribution block you have there now. The ports enter/exit in slightly different places. Their line kit is totally plug-and-play, so all lines will have the correct fittings, bent to terminate in the correct places.

That's it! The kit installs like charm, works great. Hope this helps!

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Rolling_Thunder

MP Brakes front disc brake kit is All stock Mopar stuff - uses the Generic old Aspen/Volare Disc Brake swap parts. They do make these pieces new which is nice. They do only offer the 11" Rotor version though. If you find the caliper brackets for the 11.75" system you can run the larger rotos too   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mikesbbody

If you wouldnt mind telling us what the Total cost was (give or take) that would be Helpful  :2thumbs:

acelondon

Part number for the rear calibers? What about mounts for them?

This is what ive wanted to do to my 74 charger for a long time. Manual disc/drum. Thing stops like a beat motor home.

Corellian Corvette

In terms of price - I'll try and pull it together but you can look at the websites and do a calculation. I expect i'm into the whole thing around $2K.

The rear brakes - I don't have the P/N, but I talked to the guy at MP brakes and they are an 84+ Cadillac part. The brackets are custom from the MP brakes kit.