News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a Ram 1500 Safely Tow a Charger?

Started by bordin34, April 20, 2009, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I am looking at buying a 94-2002 Ram 1500 and would like to know if it can safely tow my Charger. At most it would just be a support vehicle in case it breaks down somewhere, but that somewhere could be more than two hours away.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FJ5WING

I too am interested in finding out if a 1500 is able to tow a trailer and B-body combo. I know the type of trailer will have a lot of influence in the equation.

I have a 2005 quad cab 1500 2wd with the 5.7 and wonder if it is capable of towing?
wingless now, but still around.

bull

Yes, I would say so. But towing is rarely a problem; braking is another story. But yes, any full-size pickup should handle it without much trouble.

Old Moparz

The tow capacity will vary on one particular vehicle (in this case the Ram 1500) depending on which model it is. (regular cab, extended cab, long or short bed) Other factors will be engine size, transmission, rear axle ratio, & the suspension. A factory tow package may include transmission & oil coolers, a HD alternator & battery, & maybe more to increase the tow capacity.

In general, I would think that a Ram 1500 with anything but a 6 cylinder will be able to tow a Charger on a trailer, but with the above variables I mentioned, you have to verify each individual truck you look at. Years ago I looked for a full sized truck to tow with & found a very clean Chevy 1500 with a small V8 in it. It was a nice truck for the price, but no hitch receiver or tow package on it.

After researching some info, I found that the maximum tow capacity ranged from 4000 pounds up to about 7000 pounds on the Chevy 1500. The 7000 pound rating was for a properly equipped Chevy 1500, not the one I was looking at. I "could have" towed the camping trailer I had at the time with simply adding a hitch receiver & a brake controller, but I'd have been way under powered to tow my car trailer with anything on it.

My guess is that the same will be true for the Dodge. If you look at a truck with a 318 that has no tow package compared to one with a 360 and a tow package, there will be a big difference. Not to sound like a know it all, but even if you plan to only tow short distances occasionally, you're making a mistake that can be dangerous with an underpowered or under rated tow vehicle. It only takes one a-hole cutting you off to force you into an emergency stop & you may not be able to & lose your Charger & your truck.  :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Aero426

V8 powered Ram 1500 long bed should be fine for an open trailer.   

I have a 93 Ram 150 2wd with a 318 Magnum and it pulls my open trailer and Superbird very well.

Old Moparz

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 20, 2009, 02:11:30 PM
I too am interested in finding out if a 1500 is able to tow a trailer and B-body combo. I know the type of trailer will have a lot of influence in the equation.

I have a 2005 quad cab 1500 2wd with the 5.7 and wonder if it is capable of towing?

I have a 2004 Quad Cab, 4x4 with an 8 foot bed & the 5.7, & it's rated somewhere around 8300 to 8500 if I recall. It has the factory tow package that I mentioned above, & I tow with it a lot. I have a 24 foot travel trailer with a gross weight of 6300 pounds, & a car trailer with a gross weight of 7000 pounds. Both trailers tow nicely & I use a weight distribution set up on the travel trailer.

The vehicles I've had on my car trailer without any issues:

1963 Chevy Corvair (complete car)
1968 Dodge Charger (body, no drive train)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner (complete car)
1971 Plymouth Barracuda (complete car)
1995 Ford F-150 (complete truck at over 5000 pounds)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

FJMG

Above posts are bang-on, all the power in the world may help accelerate but when you try to stop your truck that is attached to something that is almost twice the weight of your truck make sure you have brakes on the trailer and if not surge brakes then install a controller in your truck, when that is done then install a load equalizing hitch (worth every penny). 3/4 tons are far superior when it comes to towing (especially cummins) since they have bigger brakes, axles etc. But many 1/2's are rated for weights comparable to towing a car on a open trailer.

Martian R/T

I had a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4 that I used to tow mine around, it did alright, definitely make sure you have brakes of some kind on the trailer, I wouldn't try it without the brakes, the only problem I had is when I sold the truck it had a nice low back end, I killed the rear springs with all the weight, I went to a Ram 2500 V10, and that was the best change, I could tow anything and usually didn't even know the trailer was on there, I could pass anything on the road,(except the gas station) I would look into a bigger truck if possible, but at least get a brake set up in the truck so your not trying to stop all that weight with the truck brakes, Dodge brakes aren't the best in the market, believe me I have seen lots of brake problems in the trucks in the past 20 years selling parts for Dodge. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

bordin34

Thanks, if anything I think I would just tow the Charger with a tow dolly. I was also looking at 2500 Rams and from what you guys are saying it isn't worth it if I rarely tow.

Mahwah,NJ

General_01

A 1500 will be fine. Here is my Dad and I getting ready to tow the General from Minnesota to Missouri in 2006.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

472 R/T SE

I wouldn't go any smaller than long bed, single cab or quad cab, short bed.  Sure, some may want to brag about pulling with something smaller but I say you'll screw up one time cause that's all it'll take.
Same with pulling the car loaded backwards on the trailer.

I set up the trailer brakes on board to grab a little harder when it's loaded.  IMO, you don't want the trailer pushing in hard braking situations. 

Silver R/T

1500 is pushing it. I've got 2500 Cummins and that will be towing all I need.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargerboy69

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 20, 2009, 06:45:53 PM
1500 is pushing it.

I agree with Silver on this one. A 1500 is pushing it. From what I found online a 2002 quad cab should haul 8350 pounds. However, just because it says it will pull that much weight does not mean it will do it very easily, or stop easily for that matter. We have used my friends 2005 Hemi Daytona Quad Cab to pull, and it is alright at best. Unless you run a Cummins in a Ram I would look for something else, just my opinion. I have had many different tow vehicles and I currently own a 1 ton 4X4 GMC Crew Cab Long Bed with a 454. And I would not trade my truck for any gas powered Ram on the market.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

mauve66

1500 quad cab with a 7 pin harness so you have some trailer brakes would do it easily, thats the main reason i originally bought my 2005 daytona was to pull the charger, if i remember right the weight limit was 9-11K lbs or so
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bill440rt

A 1500 for an open trailer? Yeah, maybe depending on how it's optioned or spec'd out.

An enclosed trailer? NEVER!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Skinypete

I've towed my 74 Charger on a set of dolly wheels with my dad's 4.7 2005 Dakota. There was no problem whatsoever.
DJMIII

Todd Wilson

Get a good car trailer with trailer brakes and the 94-2002  1500 will pull it just fine. Shut the OD off when pulling.

Todd

wayfast1500

I have a 98 1500 with 4wd, extended cab and the 5.9.  I towed my charger home in the winter (snow) on a uhaul trailer with a 500lb Harley in the bed about 60-100 miles.  Shut o.d off, shifted off the colum on the bad hills and had no issues.

Fitz73Chrgr

I used my Dad's 2000 Chevy 1500 5.3 to pull my 'bird home from college 90 mins away in the snow, it was no problem. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Ghoste

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 20, 2009, 09:37:06 PM
Get a good car trailer with trailer brakes and the 94-2002  1500 will pull it just fine. Shut the OD off when pulling.

Todd

Of course there's the thing; nowadays we want to pull a trailer that is really a miniature shop with a kitchenette attached.  Something that would have made highly paid professional drivers like Ronnie Sox green with envy if he saw you pull in with one at the US Nationals in 1969.  Plus we want to have the truck equipped to carry six people in silent air conditioned comfort with four doors and geared for travelling at 75 mph.  We don't want to shift or think.  It's almost a wonder some of the 1500 series can pull themselves let alone a load, even some of the trailers in todays pits are a stretch to haul empty.
Basically, a 1500 equipped properly can do it and do it easily if all you want to do is move a Charger and you are willing to put some thought and effort into it.  If you want a deluxe enclosed trailer or more then obviously you need more truck.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ghoste on April 21, 2009, 08:36:00 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 20, 2009, 09:37:06 PM
Get a good car trailer with trailer brakes and the 94-2002  1500 will pull it just fine. Shut the OD off when pulling.

Todd

Of course there's the thing; nowadays we want to pull a trailer that is really a miniature shop with a kitchenette attached.  Something that would have made highly paid professional drivers like Ronnie Sox green with envy if he saw you pull in with one at the US Nationals in 1969.  Plus we want to have the truck equipped to carry six poeple in silent air conditioned comfort with four doors and geared for travelling at 75 mph.  We don't want to shift or think.  It's almost a wonder some of the 1500 series can pull themselves let alone a load, even some of the trailers in todays pits are a stretch to haul empty.
Basically, a 1500 equipped properly can do it and do it easily if all you want to do is move a Charger and you are willing to put some thought and effort into it.  If you want a deluxe enclosed trailer or more then obviously you need more truck.

I agree.  When I said get a good car trailer I meant a flatbed car trailer. A good trailer where you can get the Charger in the right position on the trailer to keep the tongue weight good on the 1500. And have trailer brakes.    The 318 or 360 setup will pull a Charger with no problems. Its stopping that can become a problem.

I also wouldnt want a short bed regular cab 1500 pulling.  Too short a wheel base to make things stable.Maybe across town to a show or something would be fine but not a long haul trip.

The thing with the 94-02 1500 Rams is the suspension is softer then the 3/4 tons. Thats where a good trailer really comes into play. Makes it easier on the truck.

When you are towing its not a race. Its all about being in control. No matter what you are towing or towing with.

Todd

ITSA426

My nephew has a 360 powered 1500 and it works just fine.  I use a 2005 1500 4X4 to tow my Charger on an open trailer and no problems.  The trailer has brakes, and I'd recommend that but the trailer I used before didn't have them and it worked OK.  You just have to plan a little further ahead.

bordin34

Ok, well I am looking at buying a Ram again and don't know about the towing capacity. It is a 1996 Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab Short Bed with a 5.9 and trailer tow group. Can anybody tell me what it is rated for. I have seen from 4600-6800lbs.

Mahwah,NJ

Aero426

Quote from: bordin34 on November 26, 2009, 09:10:42 PM
Ok, well I am looking at buying a Ram again and don't know about the towing capacity. It is a 1996 Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab Short Bed with a 5.9 and trailer tow group. Can anybody tell me what it is rated for. I have seen from 4600-6800lbs.

Should be fine for an open trailer.  A friend has an '96 SST shortbed with the 5.9 and it pulls my 18' trailer with Superbird very well.  You mentioned you are looking for this for emergencies and short distance hauls.    For this, I think you are fine.     I'd rather have a long bed with the added wheelbase, but for your purpose, that truck would do.  

I would be sure to get a weight distributing hitch.   It makes a big difference.