News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dynomax Mufflers- Super Turbo's or Ultra Flow SS's?

Started by 73TXRallye440, April 19, 2009, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73TXRallye440

Debating between these two different Dynomax mufflers. On a 440, would you go Super Turbo's or Ultra Flow SS's?

Ultra Flow SS

Super Turbo

Charger-Bodie

Ultra Flows !! No question.

I used to have super turbos on my Charger....The Ultra Flows are a little louder but they dont drone like the supers did.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Sublime/Sixpack

Never tried the Ultra Flows, but I have the Super Turbo's on one car and I don't care much for them. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

histoy

Super Turbos cause an awful drone on my car between 60 - 70 mph.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldcarnut

Those Ultra Flows sorta remind me of glasspacks but with a larger case.  Do they get louder over time?  Is the CRF (continuous roving fiberglass) just another way to say loosely fitted packing? I'm not trying to be a smartalec as I'm thinking of putting those on mine based on everyone's responces I've read in other threads but I don't want the exhaust to keep getting louder as time goes by.  I had the ST's on my SuperBee and everyone is right about the drone.  Mine did it around 45-55.

Ghoste

I don't know about the getting louder over time but they are glasspacks in a larger case and yes crf is just clever marketing.  I wouldn't describe them as being as loud as the old bullet style glasspacks that have been around forever.

firefighter3931

Ultraflows are far from being a glasspack....but they do get slightly louder over time. There is good sound dampening due to the size of the muffler body so it's more than just fiberglass for sound absorption.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

If it's packed with 'glass, I gotta call it as I see it.  :lol:

It's not a slam, you know I prefer them but I still think of it as a glasspack in a bigger can.

1970Moparmann

What would you guys say between the Ultra Flow and the Flowmaster 40 series?   :brickwall:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Foreman72

I will be using FM 40's on my charger...i haven't heard anything i like more...

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_orig.html (click the sound clip)

i will say i haven't liked a single SS muffler i've heard...to sharp for me :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

bill440rt

Just ordered a full TTI exhaust with the upgraded Ultra Flows. Can't wait!
I've got Flowmasters on my '68, at 40mph I feel like my head is gonna explode from the resonance.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

TexasStroker

Quote from: Ghoste on April 20, 2009, 09:34:15 PM
Hate Flowmasters.

x2!  For all out performance you can't go wrong with Dynomax...If it is just sound you are after you can go with what you personally like best, everyone is different. 

In regards to the original ? of Super Turbo or Ultra Flo, I'd casty my vote for the Ultra Flo.

If you get them on and hate them you can sell them and have cash (and then some) to buy super turbos or worse case scenario an even swap.  Just my  :Twocents:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Back N Black

Mfr426

I got the 2.5" TTI system for factory HP headers and with the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. That was about 3 years ago. The mufflers are too loud for me now. Not sure if they got louder but cruising is a bit too noisy now and I like loud cars. It's just too noisy in the passenger compartment anymore and I'll be replacing them over the summer.

The TTi system is a nice setup though and I'm very happy with the  purchase.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger RT/SE 505.

miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

471_Magnum

Had SuperTurbos on the Charger with the 3" Exhaust. There is a YouTube video of it, but I can't access the link at the moment. By all accounts, it sounded awesome. Not too obnoxious at part load, but it wailed under heavy throttle.

Got an Ultra Flow on my 4.0 Explorer. Don't care much for it. Replaced once under warranty for rusting out. I'll keep replacing it under warranty as needed just 'cause it's free, but I don't think I'd buy one new again.

I'll probably run the Super Turbos on the Cuda when the time comes.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Foreman72

Hate Flowmasters.

u guys hate the sound or the quality? what about them was no good? did they just drone too much :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Brock Samson

Ron has stated they make more power too,..  :shruggy:
the drone is the biggest complaint though,..

Ghoste

Quote from: Foreman72 on April 21, 2009, 12:06:43 PM
Hate Flowmasters.

u guys hate the sound or the quality? what about them was no good? did they just drone too much :shruggy:

The droning noise penetrates the inner reaches of your head after a while and they don't flow as well as the Dyno Max besides.

Foreman72

Quote from: Ghoste on April 21, 2009, 03:02:26 PM
Hate Flowmasters.

The droning noise penetrates the inner reaches of your head after a while and they don't flow as well as the Dyno Max besides.

i c....well i'll investigate this further :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

471_Magnum

Hate Flowmasters.

They can make any car sound like a 5.0 Mustang.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

RECHRGD

I've got the ultra flows and love them.  Cruising on the highway there is very little noise and no drone whatsoever.  They do get loud when you hammer the gas pedal.  Just think of your throttle as a volume control.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

68 CHARGER R/T

i went with the delta flow 40 series ,they reduce the interior sound. not bad on cruising (my opinion)even with my interior all out at the time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhoBWVrXYU