News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

voltage regulator

Started by JohnZepka, April 19, 2009, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZepka

Can anyone tell me why I keep frying the power wire coming out of my voltage regulator?  Replaced the regulator twice and I burn this wire right away.  The wire goes from the regulator to the bulkhead connection to the ignition switch.  66 charger.

John_Kunkel

If you disconnect the wire from the regulator to the alternator does it still burn?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JohnZepka

If I disconnect the wire from the alt, the one that goes to the regulator everythings fine except I get no charge.  So no it doesn't burn then, does that mean something?

JohnZepka

Please help, I'm desperate.  I cannot get this right.  I connected everything back up the way it should be after replacing the burned up wires and I get smoke from the new v-regulator with just the ignition on.  Now they say it might be just burning off some crap and that might be normal for a new regulator.  I got 12volts from my threaded stud on my alt but nothing from my field connections even if  I change the ground from field to field.  Now I have no charge when everythings hooked up.  Both the alt and the regulator are new.  What am I missing.  I feel retarded.  I'm going to have the alt tested tomorrow and start all over.  Could this be an iginition switch problem or something else?

John_Kunkel

You say the car is a '66 but you also say field connections and say you changed the wire "from field to field". A '66 should have only a single field spade terminal on the alternator.

Have the alternator and regulator been upgraded to '70 and later?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JohnZepka

I grounded the other field on the alt.  All the info I got said it was ok to do so. The regulator is aftermarket for a 66.