News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dropped my lifters on the floor!!

Started by fatboy, April 18, 2009, 08:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy

I was going to simply change all of the gaskets on my 48,000 mile 440, paint it, and stick it back in. While flipping the motor upside down to remove the oil pan, I forgot to remove the lifters and they fell on the floor. Now of course I don't know which lifter went into which hole. So now I guess I have to replace the cam, huh?
It's a 69 440 with stock everything including manifolds. What cam do you guys recommend for the most power without getting too radical? I want to keep the HP manifolds and stock intake too. It's an auto, ac, ps, and pb car with 3.23 gears.

mikepmcs

I think you can just replace the lifters and be ok if your cam is in good shape.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

General_01

I think Mike is right. The reason you don't want to use old lifters in different holes is because of the wear patterns. A new lifter won't have a wear pattern on it yet.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

fatboy

Are you guys sure about this? I think my cam is in good shape. I really didn't want to buy a new one. I only spilled one side of the lifters. Can I buy just 8 lifters or do I have to buy a whole set?

General_01

I would probably replace them all if it was me. I am sure Ron(firefighter)will chime in here.
496 stroker
4-speed

ryan053

I would replace all of them not just the fallen eight. You need to break them in though as if you were breaking in a new cam though.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 18, 2009, 08:34:10 PM
I think you can just replace the lifters and be ok if your cam is in good shape.

:2thumbs:   been there and done that
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1969chargerrtse

I would only buy the 8 that fell out, but I'd PM Ron also to know for sure or ask some motor buddies.  If the 8 that were in were fine, why mess with them?  That sucks though.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

fatboy

what's the best place to get lifters and a gasket set?

Daytona R/T SE

Wipe all of the dirt off of them, and put them back in.

Run it.

I've put used lifters out of another 440 and run them in my car with no problems.

Put it back together.

Be happy.

flyinlow

I would replace the 8 that got mixed. They dont cost that much. Use cam break in lube.

I have reused mixed ones in a stock motor . That was back in the days when men were men and oil was oil.

A new or good used lifter has a slight crown to the base. If you place two lifters base to base they will rock around , not sit flat against each other.

:Twocents:

Tilar

I wouldn't worry about it. Clean them up, Put new lube on them and what you can reach of the cam and put it back together.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

captnsim

Reuse the old ones. They spin in the socket so there is no "special" wear mark to ruin your cam. Just put them in a clean can, fill with new oil till the lifters are covered. Let sit for a bit and install. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: flyinlow on April 19, 2009, 06:51:11 PM
I would replace the 8 that got mixed. They dont cost that much. Use cam break in lube.

I have reused mixed ones in a stock motor . That was back in the days when men were men and oil was oil.

A new or good used lifter has a slight crown to the base. If you place two lifters base to base they will rock around , not sit flat against each other.

:Twocents:
" That was back in the days when men were men and oil was oil. "

:hah:  That's funny.  Yea, just throw em back in.  No seriously.  You'll be fine.  :2thumbs:

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mfr426

I replace them all as set since the motor is opened up but I've been labeled nuts before.  ;D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mfr426 on April 21, 2009, 05:43:53 PM
I replace them all as set since the motor is opened up but I've been labeled nuts before.  ;D
Nothing wrong with that.  Lifters are exspensive. 

62 Max

If you have a 48K motor I. would put in a complete set Each lifter has a specific wear pattern for its respective cam lobe.Cheap insurance from having to take it apart again and also having to replace the cam.The other alternative would be buying a cam and kit combined.There are some decent kits for reasonable money if you look around. :Twocents:

firefighter3931

C'mon guys, haven't you learned anything reading all these posts ?  :slap:

Never, ever mix used lifters on a cam. That's a recipe for disaster and when the cam wipes and fills the crankcase with metal shavings you'll be looking at a complete rebuild with new bearings, pistons, rings and all the machinework. Is it worth taking a chance ?  ;)

Quote from: 62 Max on April 22, 2009, 06:57:33 PM
If you have a 48K motor I. would put in a complete set Each lifter has a specific wear pattern for its respective cam lobe.Cheap insurance from having to take it apart again and also having to replace the cam.The other alternative would be buying a cam and kit combined.There are some decent kits for reasonable money if you look around. :Twocents:

Good advice, at the very least replace all the lifters and the timing chain, which will be sloppy and loose. I would take this opportunity to upgrade the cam, lifters, timing chain and valvesprings.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

General_01

Quote from: General_01 on April 18, 2009, 09:01:38 PM
I think Mike is right. The reason you don't want to use old lifters in different holes is because of the wear patterns. A new lifter won't have a wear pattern on it yet.

I was paying attention Ron. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed