News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most influential cars in history?

Started by TheGhost, May 04, 2009, 05:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

Quote from: Foreman72 on May 04, 2009, 07:53:49 PM
as much as it utterly pains me to say...does anyone think them hybrids have been/will be an influential automobile :shruggy:

Perhaps.  It's far too soon to tell right now.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

Natch?..
you really think the Mercedes 300 SL is a "Muscle Car"..  :lol: right after you list the first 300 as a powerful american car...  :icon_smile_wink:

Wow,.. you guys list some real hum dingers... an H1?...  :lol: I think the jeep beat it to market by about a half century.
but yes the Jeep should be on the list, maybe the Wagoneer and Cherokee with an honorable mention too.

BTW:
the first hybrid was a '80 american concept made by Briggs and Stratton.

I'd suggest the FORD 100 or even the later 150 as well,..  I know alot of folks on here have 'em,.. though a case could be made for the original Power Wagon too,.. huh Todd?..  :icon_smile_wink:

Another much less popular vehicle would be the Original Mini Van, VW or Ford Or Corvair or the Dodge or the later '80s Dodge/Chysler/Plymouth version whatever,..  :shruggy:

Troy

Quote from: b5blue on May 04, 2009, 05:12:20 PM
Influential is the KEY word here guys! JEEP is still my vote...it influenced the outcome of a world war and has never stopped since!(can ya tell I wish they made a CJ-6.1 Hemi!)
The guy I bought my 5.7 Hemi from has a shop that mostly does Hemi conversions on off-road Jeeps. Apparently it's rather simple.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

SFRT

Model T: mechanized the usa on personal level

Jeep and its foriegn equivelants: opened the third world to western industrialism and helped win some wars.

Volkswagen and Honda Civic: introduced decent quality economy vehicles with dependability on a mass scale for the first time since the demise of the model T in 1929.

'muscle cars' are amazing, but they have had no real impact on a semiotic level except maybe for entertainment in television and movies.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WINGR

What about the 55 Chrysler 300, isn't that considered by many to be the first muscle car. Also, what about the 57 Chevy Bel-Air. :2thumbs:

WINGR

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 04, 2009, 08:35:50 PM
  Natch?..
you really think the Mercedes 300 SL is a "Muscle Car"..  :lol: right after you list the first 300 as a powerful american car...  :icon_smile_wink:

muscle sporty, yes!

Quote from: WINGR on May 04, 2009, 11:33:13 PM

What about the 55 Chrysler 300, isn't that considered by many to be the first muscle car. Also, what about the 57 Chevy Bel-Air. :2thumbs:

WINGR

thats the one I told ! oh yes and the belair of course
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

SeattleCharger

ok, seems to be a couple themes going on here.   Most Influential,  not which was first.  

a 1980 briggs and straton concept hybrid that nobody has ever heard, although "first", is probably not the most influential, compared to a prius or whatever, just saying,   :popcrn:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

TheGhost

Another I'd like to add is whatever car first sported tailfins, setting the design standard for nearly a decade.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

welp i guess the japanese can just go and take all the credit then for the hybrids...
and Mercedes and the German SL300 too for muscle cars...
                                                       :lol:

in short,.. you guys are soooooo freakin wrong are you sure you responded to the right thread?.  :shruggy:   :lol:

where's that smilie?..

:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

the first car that "sported tailfins" was the '49 Cad... i belive that's a styleing concideration,.. we might then also include the Charger for having the first Spoiler on the rear deck in '66/67. can we at least agree on that then?..

:shruggy:

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 04, 2009, 11:42:49 PM
welp i guess the japanese can just go and take all the credit then...
and Mercedes and the Germans too for muscle cars...
                                                       :lol:

the first car that "sported tailfins" was the '49 Cad... i belive that's a styleing concideration,.. we might then also include the Charger for having the first Spoiler on the rear deck in '66/67. can we at least agree on that then?..

:shruggy:

The Japanese COPIED the Charger   :lol:     and Muscle cars are AMERICAN

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ghoste

bigcountry and bk72, I'm curious as to what you feel the Fiero influenced?  Not dissing your pick just wondering since you didn't give much detail.

Brock Samson

It's obvious,.. the Fiero influenced the Aztek and look how Pontiac sales took off...   :D

off the cliff! i guess there can be bad influences too eh?..

Lowprofile

A Few of my pics would be the Duesenberg , The Shelby Cobra, The Ford GT40, and the 66 Olds Toranado.

btw...the vw bug and the Jeep should be on any list.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL