News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know how long to cook a 5.5 pound ham shank?

Started by TruckDriver, April 18, 2009, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

This is one thing I've never cooked yet. I've always bought those pre-cooked processed hams. The neighbour gave me this one. Of course this one is a "real" with the bone ham. I have no meat thermometer so at what temp, and for how long should I cook this? Any other tips are welcome too. I plan to put pineapple in with it too.

BTW - I plan to make this for dinner tonight.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

richard pettys 73

cook at 325 degrees in oven for 20-25 min per pound 
o yeay pot it in a pan or glass dish to keep juices.and if prefered baste kinda like you would a turkey
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

richard pettys 73

For "cook before eating" hams, inner temp should be 160ยบ
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

TruckDriver

Thanks! I don't own a meat temp gauge, that's why I asked. So, about 2 hours 20 min.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

mikepmcs

For what you are trying to do, I agree with Richard for the most part, maybe bump the temp to 350 for roasting though, if you are leaving the pan uncovered.  You should be safe at that temp and 2.5 hours.

He's right on the money as far as the inner temp goes for today's pork. :cheers:

I personally wouldn't put pineapple on it though, not my taste.....honey glazed, etc.... never liked that stuff.  Kind of like pineapple on pizza.  Whoever started that should be shot. :lol:

Hope it turned out great!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TruckDriver

:lol: Hawian pizza is my favorite pizza (ham & pineapple :drool5: )

I covered the pan it's in too. Got about 40 min to go yet :yesnod:
PETE

mikepmcs

If it's covered tight(fitted lid) then it should have plenty of juices going on.  When you pull it, let it sit for about 10 minutes prior to cutting and the inner temp should rise a bit and get the juices going as well. :cheers:
I'm hungry now.
Don't be afraid to share your experience on the food recipe thread I started forever ago that nobody ever fricken contributes to.  :smilielol:

That reminds me, i think it's time for a new recipe.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TruckDriver

Basic recipe here. Turned out good, thanks. The cats liked the left over shavings too :lol:
PETE

bigcountry

Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

WingCharger

This thread needs BACON! :icon_smile_big:

http://bacolicio.us/http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,56155.0.html