News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Metallica Medley" for the talent show

Started by 69bronzeT5, April 16, 2009, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Me and my old band decided we're gonna do a 'Metallica Medley' for the school variety show on Friday. It's basically a talent show. We're gonna have to practice our nuts off tomorrow because it's not that far away. They know the songs but I don't know all of them yet. We are mixing riffs from a bunch of Metallica songs together. Not full songs, just cool riffs. We're also gonna be doing some short solos. We'll be doing a medley of riffs from:

Ride The Lightning
Dyer's Eve
Master of Puppets
That Was Just Your Life
Guitar solo
Drum solo
Bass solo
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
Wherever I May Roam
...And Justice For All
Another part of That Was Just Your Life
Another Master of Puppets part

It should be awesome. I'll be sure to get pictures and videos....that's if we can get ready in time.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ponch ®

Sounds like a good idea. You can always "fake" your way through the riffs/hooks on most songs.  :2thumbs:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

Most metal is pretty basic stuff for the most part. I wouldn't want to try to mimic someone like Eddie Van Halen with just a few days of practice but Metallica is doable.

Ponch ®

Another suggestion...if you're doing it for a variety show, you might want to stick with
better known Metallica songs. Remember, you want the audience to get into it, so you gotta play something they are more likely to recognize. Unless your school is full of connoisseurs who can appreciate obscure material like Dyer's Eve or Anesthesia on as many levels as you do.

I'd leave in 'Lightning', 'Puppets', and 'Roam', but I'd ditch the other songs and go with riffs from "Sad But True", "One"...and dare I say it, "Sandman". Maybe even throw in "Seek and Destroy". I know, you're being "commercial" at that point, but you gotta give the audience what they want...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

bull

69bronzeT5

Well....on a bad note, I'm sick now and there's no way to practice with them...because the show is first thing tomorrow morning so looks like I'm gonna have to bow out and let them do it. :rotz:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Suck it up Princess & get out there & rock.....blow chunks off the stage....you'd be a shoe in to win if ya did  :METAL:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69bronzeT5

:lol: The show is over now. I actually found out they TOOK US OFF THE BILL because they found out they had too many people. I gotta say...that show was just sad :rotz:

Ponch ®

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 16, 2009, 07:58:07 PM
Well....on a bad note, I'm sick now and there's no way to practice with them...because the show is first thing tomorrow morning so looks like I'm gonna have to bow out and let them do it. :rotz:

Waaaaaaaaaah. That's so not metal. Jimi played entire shows while tripping on acid, Slash and Keef did it while either piss drunk or high on heroin, and Hetfield did most of a tour with half of his face and hair burned off. And you're sick so you can't practice?

Dude, you're so on the road to be a touring guitarist for whoever the Miley Cyrus or Jonas Brothers of the next generation will be...

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 17, 2009, 02:40:56 PM
And you're sick so you can't practice?

I didn't have enough time considering I only knew Master and That Was Just Your Life.

charger_cody

Quote from: bull on April 16, 2009, 09:51:16 AM
Leave out Sandman? What the...!? :slap:
Sandman is where their music got $h1ty....

charger_cody

but of course cody knows his metallica, notice how he has none of their bad songs.
Cody

69bronzeT5

The Black Album was a good album IMO. After that, they got 'meh'. Load and Reload were decent. St. Anger was worse and the snare sound sucked. Death Magnetic was pretty good.

Manfred318

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 18, 2009, 08:50:52 PM
The Black Album was a good album IMO. After that, they got 'meh'. Load and Reload were decent. St. Anger was worse and the snare sound sucked. Death Magnetic was pretty good.
I dont care for the black album all that much. It was a good album Im just so tired of it. I liked Load and Re-Load. It wasnt the Metallica I was used to but it was good for what it was. St. Anger blows ass. 'Nuff Said. Death Magnetic was awesome. It was the best album since ...And Justice IMO.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

charger_cody

I agree with cody. The only diff is that the black album didnt move me at all. I wont lie, I did like alot of the new CD, but, I think that they added to many riffs to some of their songs. But is w/e.

CODY

jb666

Well, I personally feel Hetfield sold out when he went for his role in the new Wizard Of Oz movie... he should have stuck with music.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

rav440

Quote from: bull on April 16, 2009, 01:14:55 AM
Most metal is pretty basic stuff for the most part. I wouldn't want to try to mimic someone like Eddie Van Halen with just a few days of practice but Metallica is doable.

eddie aint got nothin on KIRK  :slap: have you ever even listened to a METALLICA song ? geeze  :icon_smile_big: ::)

:cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

FJ571440B

Quote from: jb666 on April 19, 2009, 04:04:19 PM
Well, I personally feel Hetfield sold out when he went for his role in the new Wizard Of Oz movie... he should have stuck with music.

That's some funny sh_t right there !!!
Next time....

FJ571440B

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 16, 2009, 02:01:38 AM
Another suggestion...if you're doing it for a variety show, you might want to stick with
better known Metallica songs. Remember, you want the audience to get into it, so you gotta play something they are more likely to recognize. Unless your school is full of connoisseurs who can appreciate obscure material like Dyer's Eve or Anesthesia on as many levels as you do.

I'd leave in 'Lightning', 'Puppets', and 'Roam', but I'd ditch the other songs and go with riffs from "Sad But True", "One"...and dare I say it, "Sandman". Maybe even throw in "Seek and Destroy". I know, you're being "commercial" at that point, but you gotta give the audience what they want...

You skirt! "the hell's wrong with you...? Take WHAT out and leave WHAT in? That's insane,those are some of the core songs. You say play what yourself and people all know,...who DOESN"T know those songs,(posers)these are THE songs you would do something like this with. We did it all the time back in the day in our late teens and early 20's at a jam session over whoevers' place wherever whenever. Everyone digs it if you put it together well.
And how do you define Dyer's Eve OR Anesthesia as obscure? Anesthesia is pure genius for it's time as far as bass goes,and the timing/aggressiveness in Dyer's Eve,you just can't find words for. Maybe it's just a simple lack of understanding,or opinion,whichever,of the music on your part. Or its just movin a little too quick for ya! Black album,..RUBBISH!  Load I and II,are just that.

Dont you all know,that the very last REAL Metallica album,was "...And Justice For All." What more need be said.

Lock this thread now,..please!
                                                                                            :moon:
Next time....

FJ571440B

Next time....

captnsim

Yup I saw them in Portland , Maine   :punkrocka: In justace for all tour...that was the begining of the end. The black album was just delaying death...

TheGhost

I like their more haunting songs.  Like the first 2 Unforgiven songs (from what I've heard of Unforgiven III, I don't like it), Fade to Black, Nothing Else Matters, One, and their new Day That Never Comes (at least the first half, anyway).  I like their thrash songs, as well, but I've always been a sucker for a haunting melody, and I love the steel guitar.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

moparstuart

Quote from: rav440 on April 19, 2009, 07:00:53 PM
Quote from: bull on April 16, 2009, 01:14:55 AM

eddie aint got nothin on KIRK  :slap: have you ever even listened to a METALLICA song ? geeze  :icon_smile_big: ::)

:cheers:
here is the best eddie    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: FJ571440B on April 22, 2009, 12:47:58 AM

You skirt! "the hell's wrong with you...? Take WHAT out and leave WHAT in? That's insane,those are some of the core songs. You say play what yourself and people all know,...who DOESN"T know those songs,(posers)these are THE songs you would do something like this with. We did it all the time back in the day in our late teens and early 20's at a jam session over whoevers' place wherever whenever. Everyone digs it if you put it together well.
And how do you define Dyer's Eve OR Anesthesia as obscure? Anesthesia is pure genius for it's time as far as bass goes,and the timing/aggressiveness in Dyer's Eve,you just can't find words for. Maybe it's just a simple lack of understanding,or opinion,whichever,of the music on your part. Or its just movin a little too quick for ya! Black album,..RUBBISH!  Load I and II,are just that.

Dont you all know,that the very last REAL Metallica album,was "...And Justice For All." What more need be said.

Lock this thread now,..please!
                                                                                            :moon:

By obscure I mean that those are songs that, while pure genius, are not really that well known outside the hardcore Metallica fanbase. My point was that when you're doing something for a school talent show or what have you, you gotta play stuff that the audience will at least recognize so they can enjoy the show.

Put it this way, when you go see a concert by a band as huge as Metallica, KISS, or some other band with a ton of classic material and they decide to play obscure or new material no one knows, the show sucks. You wanna hear "Sandman", and you wanna hear "Strutter", you wanna hear "Freebird".