News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Convincing Parents

Started by Skinypete, April 16, 2009, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinypete

Does anyone have any advice on how to change your parent's minds about buying a mid 80s Ram? :shruggy:

The one I want to buy runs good, but they say i have to much on my plate right now with my 74 Charger.
DJMIII

69bronzeT5

Just be polite I guess. I really haven't had that problem. I told my mom I wanted my Duster to drive daily and she said okay.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

:scratchchin:   Tell your parents that if they don't take care of you now,  you won't take care of them when they are old.   :icon_smile_big:    jk     Do you need their help to buy it or are they just being parents and telling you that you don't need it ?   Try and find a way to make it have a purpose and make sense.    :scratchchin:   If you buy a boat you will need to get it to tow the boat.   :icon_smile_big:    Other than that, I have no idea.   Sorry man and good luck.............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

FLG GF

If you don't need help buying it get it and one day just tell them "hey folks look at my new car =D"

(FLG did the same thing)

mopar_nut_440_6

How old are you? I had many cars between 16 and 19 when I moved out but never asked for any help. My dad did co-sign a loan for my first car for $1200. I also rebuilt a truck for my dad and did the engine for him when I was 18 and then painted his truck when I was 19. I remember taking my dad for a ride in my 68 when I was 18 and just finished building my first 440. He lectured me for driving too fast but him and my mom both had huge smiles on their faces.  

On that, I have 5 kids from 20 - 8 all boys, I likely would be saying the same thing to them worried about them over extending themselves and not being able to afford it all. My best advice would be to lay out for them a budget and a reason you can afford this and show it to them. They at that point can look and say, OK he/she has done their homework and looked at this realistically and can afford it and voice their concerns. The biggest thing you can do is keep the channels of communication open and voice your concerns while being open to their concerns. Parents are not stupid and many have been through the same situations. We are not bad, mean or evil but just extra protective of our kids and want them to do well and be successful. Of course it may not seem this way as we/I tend to say " I did" or "I do" so be diplomatic and do your homework. If you can totally justify the expense and show them on paper then you can reasonably show them that this expense can be afforded and is worthwhile. Then all is OK. If not then you can find the flaws in your plan and work to rectify this whether it is a shortfall of income, space ( ie your parents parking area) or whatever other issues are present. There is a reason why your parents feel this way and you need to figure out this. Once you know this then you can find out what you need to do to come to an agreement.

If you want any further advice then feel free to PM me and I will give you the 40 something parent take on things and try to help you achieve your goals.

Cheers,

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

bull

Is it supposed to be Skinnypete?

Anyway, I think I'd find out why they are saying no and develop some logical arguments in your favor. Personally I wouldn't recommend a Ram unless you're willing and able to spend $50 every time you visit the gas station but I do like them. I had a 1985 Ram pickup and it ran awesome and looked good but I'd hate to use it as a daily driver. Not that my Durango does much better but it is better. What are your plans for the Ram? Give us more info so we can help you win them over.

mauve66

:iagree: :iamwithstupid:

sounds like your under age sooooo.........

if you can afford it, yes you could just go do it........... but are you willing to live in it????
if you want to park it on their property.............. are you willing to live in it?????????????
if you want them to help with gas, insurance, parts, money for movies with your girlfriend............... are you willing to live in it???????????
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Skinypete

Quote from: Skinypete on April 16, 2009, 12:00:13 AM
Does anyone have any advice on how to change your parent's minds about buying a mid 80s Ram? :shruggy:

The one I want to buy runs good, but they say i have to much on my plate right now with my 74 Charger.

Well I am 19. I know that I am able to afford to own and operate the vehicle.  The primary purpose of the truck will be to tow a boat, haul stuff camping, and an alternate vehicle incase my Jeep finally quits on me.

My parents, father mostly, argue about where I am going to keep it, and do I really need it.

I appreciate any help and suggestions offered.
DJMIII

Brock Samson

Showing some responsibility and touting the usefulness the vehicle has, as a work truck, hauling and such would help sell your case.
When i bought my first van, i had no idea just how useful it would be, and how many folks would call needing a dump run or their bands equipment transported to and from gigs...
Within a few years i was running my own modest business something that never occured to me,.. I used it to go camping, sometimes off road,.. moved Art Work for a gallery... and it made a great shaggin wagon,,  :scratchchin: though i don't suggest you bring that up...
Anyhow,..  buying that '74 dodge tradesman was probably the most useful and practical purchase I ever made.
It surved me so well that several years later  bought a '89 Ram 150 which i used for another half dozen years...
Oh, 'n they do great for hauling auto parts from junk yards too...  :yesnod: these are the kinds of arguments that help convince parents, you could also offer to use the vehicle to make some cash you can use to pay back the loan they give you to make the inital purchase..
GoodLuck.  :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Skinypete on April 16, 2009, 12:28:01 PM

Well I am 19. I know that I am able to afford to own and operate the vehicle.  The primary purpose of the truck will be to tow a boat, haul stuff camping, and an alternate vehicle incase my Jeep finally quits on me.

My parents, father mostly, argue about where I am going to keep it, and do I really need it.

Can't your Jeep haul a boat and camping stuff?    :shruggy:

Can you sell the Jeep and by the Truck?  Your pops probably doesnt see that you need 3 vehicles around the house.   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Rolling_Thunder

My Father doesn't think I need 4 vehicles - but that's the joy of being young and stupid.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Old Moparz

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 16, 2009, 12:50:40 PM
My Father doesn't think I need 4 vehicles - but that's the joy of being young and stupid.

I know I don't need 7 vehicles, I guess that's the joy of being old & stupid.   :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 16, 2009, 01:43:15 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 16, 2009, 12:50:40 PM

I know I don't need 7 vehicles, I guess that's the joy of being old & stupid.   :smilielol:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  except in my case i have over 700

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WingCharger

mauve66

and an alternate vehicle incase my Jeep finally quits on me.

sounds like the jeep isn't reliable so selling it after buying the trk makes sense

sounds like your parking them at their place and they don't want or have room for alot of vehicles to be parked there.  if you are in their house and have the capability to buy the trk on your own, i would try to convince them of selling the jeep after you secure the trk, you don't want to sell the jeep and then hope the trk is still available.  if you are having reliability issues with the jeep then they should see the sense in that at least, i assume the charger is non-running?
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

FLG

When i got my first rat, i bought it and told them about a year later (i had places to store it for nada)...they were cool about it but it needed WAYYY to much work so i had to let her go for parts  :yesnod:

Thank god cause i bought my first mopar not too long after getting rid of it

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: WingCharger on April 16, 2009, 02:04:03 PM
:lol:

My mom hates the fact that I like older cars because they are "unsafe."

Well - I'm sure her argument is "new cars have 'crumple zones' and three point seat belts"

Your reply should be...   "Well mom, I'm planning on installing 3 point seat belts....     and well...    the OTHER car is MY 'Crumple Zone"'    :nana:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

WingCharger

Dodge Don

We all thought we knew best....but as you mature and gain life experience you will likely realize your parents are right.

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 16, 2009, 12:39:48 PM
When i bought my first van, i had no idea just how useful it would be, and how many folks would call needing a dump run or their bands equipment transported to and from gigs...

Have you ever taken your friends' band equipment to the dump on accident?

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: um?.. no, but I've taken a dump on a thread from time to time..  :-\

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 16, 2009, 07:24:57 PM
  :scratchchin: um?.. no, but I've taken a dump on a thread from time to time..  :-\
:yesnod:

WingCharger

Quote from: bull on April 16, 2009, 06:45:45 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on April 16, 2009, 12:39:48 PM

Have you ever taken your friends' band equipment to the dump on accident?
:smilielol:

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 16, 2009, 07:24:57 PM
:rofl:

Skinypete

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 16, 2009, 12:41:00 PM

Can't your Jeep haul a boat and camping stuff?    :shruggy:

Can you sell the Jeep and by the Truck?  Your pops probably doesnt see that you need 3 vehicles around the house.   :shruggy:

The jeep would be rather inadequate at hauling the boat. We have a 18' Bayliner, and when you add in the trailer it is every bit of 3000 lbs.  So towing the boat is out of the question.  And the jeep is reliable, it is just that it is 15 years old with 150,000 miles.  It is great for everyday transportation, the 70+ miles I commute per day.  The truck would be a special purpose vehicle.  I am allowed to take the boat whenever I want to and I just don't want to beat my Dad's Dakota.
DJMIII

skip68

A 27 ft boat is a little big for a 1/2 ton truck don't you think ?    :scratchchin:   Or is it a 27ft day cruiser ?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Skinypete

I made a typo its 18' not 27' my bad.
DJMIII

skip68

Is the jeep a jeep jeep (2 door, rollbar) or a Cherokee ? 

Skinypete

Just a plane 4 door, 5 speed, 4.0 Cherokee.
DJMIII

skip68

That should tow the boat no problem.  I know, I'm not helping any sorry.   :slap: 

Skinypete

Okay it will tow the boat if i want to climb hills in second gear.  It is just that the Truck will be a little more capable, and it has more room for gear.
DJMIII

skip68

:2thumbs:  OK, I understand that.  That makes sense.  ;)

PocketThunder

Quote from: Skinypete on April 16, 2009, 11:16:32 PM
Okay it will tow the boat if i want to climb hills in second gear.  It is just that the Truck will be a little more capable, and it has more room for gear.

Sounds like a difference of what you need vs. what you want...  I'm 34 years old and when i was younger i'd buy the truck because its what i "want"  but now that i'm older i'd realize that the Jeep will be adequate, and its all that i "need" and i'd keep my car corral down to two cars and save on purchase price, insurance, gas....   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

FLG

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 17, 2009, 11:50:42 PM
Quote from: Skinypete on April 16, 2009, 11:16:32 PM

Sounds like a difference of what you need vs. what you want...  I'm 34 years old and when i was younger i'd buy the truck because its what i "want"  but now that i'm older i'd realize that the Jeep will be adequate, and its all that i "need" and i'd keep my car corral down to two cars and save on purchase price, insurance, gas....   :Twocents:

Pocket im 20 and i do that ALL the time. Weather it be car parts or grocery shopping, i always say "Do i need it or want it" if it falls in the catagory of "need" then its a no brainer, if it falls in the category of "Want" then i weigh the price and go from there.