News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LCA Shaft Bushing

Started by 4aThrill, April 11, 2009, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

got the front together last Sunday noticed that the LCA shaft Bushing are not snug to the K frame are they suppose to be or not, everytime I try to get them snug/closer to the K frame they just spin.  :rotz:

4aThrill

anyone got any ideas how to make it go in futher  :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

The shaft definitely needs to be pulled in a little further, until the shoulder bottoms on the K-member. Can you get ahold of the exposed shaft with Visegrips?

The shaft doesn't normally turn unless its installed in a poly bushing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

4aThrill

I will try that next saturday with the vicegrips, thankx for the idea though

b5blue

You got the big washer on there don't you? If not you ran the nut to the bottom of the threads. :o

4aThrill

Quote from: b5blue on April 14, 2009, 06:16:04 AM
You got the big washer on there don't you? If not you ran the nut to the bottom of the threads. :o

no washer came with them, I did look at the old ones and the washer was built into the nut. the washer is now on the things to get list before Saturday gets here though thankx for lookin out b5blue

b5blue

No problem, got a set going on my car soon also. :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

if you have air an impact will tighten them other than that Vice grips will help

Long Island RT

Are those the aftermarket versions from CAP?

I have them and had the same problem - you can't use your stock strut rods - they're too long.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

b5blue

After market LCA'S? Who is CAP? Thanks

4aThrill

Quote from: Long Island RT on April 16, 2009, 01:05:58 PM
Are those the aftermarket versions from CAP?

I have them and had the same problem - you can't use your stock strut rods - they're too long.

which strut rods did you use then/where from? CAP here is the website capautoproducts.com  I have aftermarket LCA and UCA's on still have the stock ones I will try to fix them one day.

Long Island RT

I had to use CAP's dynamic struts - nice pieces too.  They also sold them to me at 1/2 price because if you read their website - they state that the tubular lowers are a bolt in deal - but they are not!

I wouldn't say anything bad about CAP, in fact- they were very helpfull when I called with my issue.  They seemed pretty knowledgeable and explained something about the angle of the strut rods coming out of the k-frame is different on each side and the stock lca's account for this - theirs do not.

I just wish I knew sooner as I spent some time cleaning up and painting my old ones.

Good luck
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

b5blue

There is a slight arc to the stock ones (on the end) that must be it. Yours must be the ones in the Mancini flier I saw, got any photos? I was thinking about them but at the time they didn't have sway bar mounts. Did you have to send in your LCAs?

Long Island RT

No - the Dynamic struts from CAP have pivots at the end where they attach to the k-frame:

http://www.capautoproducts.com/strut_arms.php?pageid=26&osCsid=fcd3fk26mr48eg7hoofo3hhds4

I don't think the struts are supposed to have any arc at all..???

Where did you get your lca's from? 
CAP sent me mine with the sway bar tabs in place - you just need to tell them what year you have.  Although I can't tell from your picture, yours look like CAP products - so even if you didn't buy them from CAP - They might exchange them out for ones with sway bar tabs.  I don't know of anybody else making them.

b5blue

Sorry I'm confusing you by kinda hijacking the point of this thread "I b5blue" have stock LCAs, and on the ball joint end the cast piece (that the strut and ball joint attach to) arcs a tiny bit so on a straight tube I can see how to keep the mounting the same it would have to be "offset on the tube" to use a "stock" strut rod. PS I bought a pair of LCAs off eBay (55.00 delivered) had reinforcing plates (Mancini) welded on and replaced the bumpers and bushings to keep the ones on the car as back-ups and not have my car torn down for days to service them. I'll shut up now...Sorry...The "tube stuff" is cool !  :2thumbs: