News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How long can/should you let an engine sit around after rebuild?

Started by bull, November 11, 2005, 03:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Another option may have surfaced with my restoration process that might require me to have the 383 rebuilt roughly 9 months before the body comes back from the paint shop. Is it ok to have a rebuilt engine sitting around that long? If not what's the limit?

Runner

i think it will be fine, however id take the rocker arms off so there is less load on the valvesprings and no load on the lifters and cam.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Blown70

Quote from: bull on November 11, 2005, 03:24:49 PM
Another option may have surfaced with my restoration process that might require me to have the 383 rebuilt roughly 9 months before the body comes back from the paint shop. Is it ok to have a rebuilt engine sitting around that long? If not what's the limit?

Ahhh heck build a cradle for her and fire it up one a week..... :icon_smile_cool:

cudaken

First seal the motor, no rocker arms, plugs and all opening sealed I would say 5-15 years. Want to be on the safe side dump some oil down the holes, pull the rockers and dump oil on top of intake and exhuast valves. Just make sure the 383 is sealed from crap.

Cuda Ken

If you do happen to let it sit over a year, turn the motor over with smoe Maryel Mystery oil in the holes to be on the safe side and preoil.

I am back

Runner

you can buy a plastic seal kit that has exhaust manifold plugs, carb cover water pump bolt covers ect.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Bull,

I rotate mine 90* every week...been sitting over a year. Just fog the cylinders and store in a dry location and it'll be fine. Plug all the holes up and leave the plugs in as suggested.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 11, 2005, 09:45:33 PM
Bull,

I rotate mine 90* every week...been sitting over a year. Just fog the cylinders and store in a dry location and it'll be fine. Plug all the holes up and leave the plugs in as suggested.

Ron

Fog the cylinders? Does that mean squirt Marvel oil down on top of them?

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on November 11, 2005, 10:04:34 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 11, 2005, 09:45:33 PM
Bull,

Ron

Fog the cylinders? Does that mean squirt Marvel oil down on top of them?

Yep, you can do it that way and rotate the engine over by hand to lube up the cylinder walls. I use an aerosol oil spray and fog ot through the sparkplug holes....then rotate the engine over to spread the product. Once a week i move the crank 90* to relieve the valvespring tension and move things around.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RT DAVE

Thanks for the info, guys.  I had my wedge rebuilt three months ago and will probably not get it fired until spring.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Chryco Psycho

I would not rotate any engine if the cam has not been run in unless you plan to pull the intake & relube the cam befor starting it initially , let the builder know it may sit for a while & he can make sure the cylinder walls are protected before the heads are installed . The engine can sit for 2 years in a temp controlled environment no prob , we fired one this summer that sat for over 2 years with no problems

cudaken

I fied one that was sealed like I posted and it was sitting in a lean to for 10 years. But was sat up long term, he never thought it would be that long.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RT DAVE

I talked to my engine builder and he didn't seem to think there would be a problem with turning it over by hand if I wanted to fog the cylinders.  He also recommended oiling the valvesprings.   I think this might be one of those things that everyone has a different opinion on.   I'm going to listen to my engine builder because he's guaranteeing the work.
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT