News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

a/c heater box , rebuild question,later model parts??

Started by dodgey68, April 13, 2009, 05:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

Hi , my question is
i wanna keep the factory under dash a/c heater box there,( no fire wall changes now)  i will presure test the heater core and evap core? while the heater box is apart, but has any one done a later model set up under the engine bay , newer compresser, condenser and other bits and had it hidden or looking neater than when thay came out in 68 , as i live in australia it does get hot betwen pubs,

will the evap core be suitible for the new stuff r138a or what ever its called ??

i have red  a few other topics in this forum and got a few ideas , just aking if some one has done this , i have a person i know who done this to a mustang and used parts fom a late model aussie falcon ,
but mopars are different!!
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Corellian Corvette

I just did this same thing - used the factory under-dash parts and the aftermarket underhood parts.

The feedback from BOTH Classic Auto air AND my shop is that combination is the best possible cooling solution. And I can confirm mine cools very well.

The under-dash large evaporator surface area will provide good cooling capacity within the cabin.

Using the more efficent under-hood Compressor, Drier, and Condensor will be more efficent in terms of weight, HP usage, and most importantly sealing ability for R134 AND requires much less refrigerant (like nearly 1/3 as much) so that saves costs as well.

I bought my under-hood parts from Classic Auto air and they have great support. Just tell them you are connecting to the OEM box and they will give you all the right fittings. The only variance that I made from the CAA kit, is that I modified the original aluminum lines instead of the included hoses for a cleaner look. You should contact your installer he should be able to make-up some custom hard lines that will clean up the install.

I highly recommend it.

Hemidog

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on April 14, 2009, 02:16:20 PM
I just did this same thing - used the factory under-dash parts and the aftermarket underhood parts.

The feedback from BOTH Classic Auto air AND my shop is that combination is the best possible cooling solution. And I can confirm mine cools very well.

The under-dash large evaporator surface area will provide good cooling capacity within the cabin.

Using the more efficent under-hood Compressor, Drier, and Condensor will be more efficent in terms of weight, HP usage, and most importantly sealing ability for R134 AND requires much less refrigerant (like nearly 1/3 as much) so that saves costs as well.

I bought my under-hood parts from Classic Auto air and they have great support. Just tell them you are connecting to the OEM box and they will give you all the right fittings. The only variance that I made from the CAA kit, is that I modified the original aluminum lines instead of the included hoses for a cleaner look. You should contact your installer he should be able to make-up some custom hard lines that will clean up the install.

I highly recommend it.

Do you have any pictures of your install? I would be interrested in seeing Classic auto Air system with an original A/C box.

Corellian Corvette

Chatt69chgr

Check Bouchillon Performance's offerings in this area too.  One of the Mopar magazines had an article on doing this specific type of conversion (using the CAA parts) and I've see the article online.  Had pictures, etc.  You can't buy the evaporator so you have to have your's tested or send it off to one of the places that can make a matching part.  Cost is pretty high---around $250--for a new one.  The weirdo heater core is now available from Year One I believe for something like $185 which is actually a good deal.  I am not aware of anybody having the firewall mtd water valve.  Have to get it rebuilt.  I think both the CAA folks and the Bouchillon folks have the necessary cycling switch for the Sanden compressor.  Also, you can get the Sanden in natural aluminum, black, or polished.  The gasket rebuild kit for the under-dash box is available from Detroit Muscle Technologies.  There are several threads with pictures here detailing the rebuilding process.

Corellian Corvette

Here are some pics of my setup. This is a factor AC car on the interior, using the Classic Auto Air underhood conversion kit. The only variation from their kit, is that I purchased a factory aluminum liquid line (modified as you see in the pictures), and purchased a correct diameter aluminum hard line which the installation shop modified to go over the radiator support. I think the look is very clean, does not signifigantly clutter the engine compartment, and cools VERY well (so far). Also, with the modern compressor there is no discernable change to the engines idle speed when the AC is on. The engine barely registers.

Chatt69chgr

Corellian Corvette

Yes - they supply everything need (minus the hard-lines which was my call). They give you a variety of fittings to customize placement. The condensor is universal and comes with brackets that you modify to fit. It was really, really easy.