News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm a Fireman!!!!

Started by Charger-Bodie, April 14, 2009, 02:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Quote from: WingCharger on April 14, 2009, 07:09:19 PM
Hey, good tip. If you ever respond to a Volkswagen fire, stand back! :icon_smile_big:

(They have Magnesium engine blocks. If you put water on it, you'll think it was the 4th of July!)

Yeah, that magnesium stuff can be a real neat show.  Burns hot as hell and when you put water on it, makes a nice shower of sparks since it burns so hot, it breaks down the water to hydrogen and oxygen.  We had an old VW bug catch fire.  Found that out the hard way.  Same thing for the first generation Vipers too.  I think the rims or engine parts were magnesium cause it did the same thing.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

Also forgot one very important rule, at least by our department...... EVERYONE GOES HOME!  meaning everyone gets home safe, just as they arrived at the scene.  Remember, you and your fellow firefighters are priority.  Then comes saving someone elses life, then comes saving/salvaging their property.  Property and items can be replaced, a life can not. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

chargerkid01

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: man I miss going to car wrecks and fires. Not that I wanted them to happen but it is a rush!!!

TeeWJay426

Congrats! Welcome to the club... been at it for 21 years now, am now a lieutenant on my department. It's very rewarding, but you'll see things along the way that you wish you hadn't... it's all part of the job though.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Just 6T9 CHGR

Congrats Brian!  Be safe!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Cool. I did that for a while and it was fun. The training is way more exciting than the calls you go on for the most part but you'll enjoy it.

Charger-Bodie

Went on my first call today. It was a house fire, and was very exilerating.  The old house didnt burn up to bad but it wasnt much of a house to start with.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

WingCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 15, 2009, 02:21:51 PM
Went on my first call today. It was a house fire, and was very exilerating.  The old house didnt burn up to bad but it wasnt much of a house to start with.
Congrats on your first run! How did it start? Electrical? :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: WingCharger on April 15, 2009, 02:52:32 PM
Congrats on your first run! How did it start? Electrical? :scratchchin:

It was stupid how it started, the guy was burning trash in a very holy burn barrel which caught grass on fire , then the house.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

WingCharger

:yesnod: Yep, pretty common. You will defiantly see the stupider side of people when it comes to fires.

Like burning leaves on a windy summer day or putting a torpedo heater a foot from a wall.

472 R/T SE

Congrats Brian.  I have a buddy back home who's one and he used to build new fire trucks for his full time job. 

One of our ambulance chasing salesman would always offer up a crane with a clam shell for the big fires.
Firefighters let me run the hose, amazing if your feet aren't set you end up on yer arse.  One of our other oilers got up on the ladder to run a hose too.  Portland's FD may just be more lenient than most.  :shruggy:

Always remember the smell, it'd stay with you for days.  Even when the coveralls came back from cleaning it'd take a couple cleanings to get the smell out.

Be careful man & thanks for taking on a sometimes thankless job.

firefighter3931

Congrats Brian, sorry i am late to the party....just finished a 6 day (84 hour) tour and i'm wiped !  :faint:  :lol:

Welcome to the brotherhood !  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

charger490

congrats on being a fire man. when you go to the fire in your car with the blue lights on be very careful.if you get to drive the truck they will tip over and watch out for other fire engines coming to the fire. if you go in a house that is on fire and  you go inside and it scares you get out of there..i have been a vol. for 55 years and love it.been fire chief and all the other officers .
been in barn fires when the roof caved in but the other guys pulled me out and also delivered a baby. and went to a car fire all ny my self because nobody else was around.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bk72

if you were at my school today you could have put the paper the caught on fire in my car out.  some people are bad welders  :icon_smile_angry:

400/6/PAC

Thank You for Your service to others.
Congrat's :cheers:

Tilar

Copngrats! I did that for a few years back in my teens and early 20's and loved every minute of it! I was tanker operator. The tanker I was assigned to was a 66 Chevy running a small block.  :smilielol:

You'll definitely enjoy it.  :2thumbs:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bk72 on April 17, 2009, 06:59:12 PM
if you were at my school today you could have put the paper the caught on fire in my car out.  some people are bad welders  :icon_smile_angry:

What happened to your car?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bk72

there was a book and some papers in the trunk and some people were welding in a part that i made and something it them and it caught on fire. nothing major but it did get part of the sticker in the trunk :icon_smile_dissapprove: somewhat my fault for when it fell off i did not put it right back on

bakerhillpins

Just caught up with this thread today.. I am a graduate of the NH fire academy (Firefighter I) and a lieutenant with our volunteer dept. Someday I will return to the academy for level 2. I wish I got started in FF earlier in my career, its lots of work and lots of fun. Though I suppose if it were a job it might turn out like my present job.... just a job.

We had a call Thursday the 16th at 1am... Structure fire with fatality. Sad thing is that someone has to be having a really bad day for us to do something that we like.

Congrats!

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69 OUR/TEA

Congrats Brian,just don't paint your car red now!!!!!! :lol:

hemi68charger

Hey Brian...
Man, that's great... Just be careful.....................................

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection