News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok here is my first attempt at a "custom" center console for my 69

Started by ac_knight, September 19, 2008, 06:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ac_knight

Ok, her it is in all it glory.  I have not covered it yet, just built it today, and will probably put carpet on it.  The cardboard thing in the middle is my mock up, and the original cosole in on the far right.  Let me know what ya all think.

I have it from several diferent angles.

Finn

Cool, I was planning on doing something of the sort for mine too. I like the look of the originals but when you put as much money into the console on as you did on wheels you start to think of other ways of doing it. Do you plan on covering it with fiberglass or??
I was planning on metal myself if I could get access to my school's laser cutting thingy mcbobber.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

BMOTOXSTAR

That is sweet. :2thumbs:
I bet some Marine Vinyl from the craft store would turn out nice on there, &  look like leather. :Twocents:
I have used that stuff on arm rests and package trays. :D
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Rolling_Thunder

I'll be attempting to use my stock console with my altered floor, remounted shifter, non stock transmission, and bucket seats...     i might end up making a custom console myself    :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ac_knight

I will be putting carpet on for the Ducktail Run Show coming up in a week.  Later I will pull it out, and fiberglass it.  Ive used the marine viny on an arm rest for a console before.  I love that stuff, I will probably use on an arm rest once this is all glassed.

Mike DC

That's cool. 

I'd definitely make it strong enough for an adult to sit on.  Fact is, this is what broke a ton of the original plastic ones.  Sitting on it, climbing over it, leaning hard on it, etc.  The original one was placed & shaped just right to make us inclined to our put weight on it all the time, but it wasn't strong enough to survive it.

TexasStroker

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 22, 2008, 04:07:26 PM
That's cool. 

I'd definitely make it strong enough for an adult to sit on.  Fact is, this is what broke a ton of the original plastic ones.  Sitting on it, climbing over it, leaning hard on it, etc.  The original one was placed & shaped just right to make us inclined to our put weight on it all the time, but it wasn't strong enough to survive it.

Ah, such was the fate of my rear portion :(  Of course it wasn't me that did it, lol...

Back on topic though, looks good...Be sure to post some finish pics!

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

tatrick2me

:cheers: Nice work and strong. Have you given thought to making the door thick? I put a 4" thick piece of foam on one of my factory dooirs, and covered it in leather. That made a great arm rest and was to uncomfy to be sat on.
Bone 7

69_500

So how did it turn out for the Ducktail run show? I didn't make it to the show this year, instead I was over at the Monster Mopar show in st. louis.

ac_knight

What you saw is how it went in.  I had very little time to get it all put together.  I rushed it for my wife's sake.  So she could have a CD player to listen to music.  I have since taken it back out and started the glassing process. 

The show was my first, and things didnt start off well at all.  I was having an over-charging problem.  I had to keep jumping the battery, but thought if I could just get it down there, it would be fine.  I made to the park, was trying to find a spot to park, and it... it died in the middle of the strip.  My wife had to run, thank God she was with me, and get me another battery.  Since then it has worked fine.  It isnt over charging right now, so I have no idea what it was.  The show was great.  I was one of three Chargers.  I was the one and only '69.  There were two '66s, and they were both extremely well restored.  Mine is still rough, but everyone gave compliments on it.  I could not believe how many people told me the '69 Charger was theier favorite car, and they all admired how far I gotten mine to.  So it turned out really good.  Acording to my wife's dad who does alot with the Ducktail Commity, he said there were over 2900 car that showed up, so all and all a good show.

KS71owner

Nice work!

I've thought about doing something similar for mine, except I would likely build a wood frame and then thermoform a shaped acrylic or lexan cover for it that I could cover with vinyl or paint. My workplace has all the equipment to do that, so I may experiment with it. I currently have my CD player tucked away in the glovebox but if I upgrade to something with mp3 capability I'd like it to be more accessible. Plus I just think it would look cool.

ac_knight

Ok, I have started over, and kinda neglected the car for a while.  Other things on my plate.  So I have it all mocked up ready to be covered in fabric and glassed.  There will be a box insert in the back to close it all up.  So here it is the new design, sorta.

69_500

So what all are you planning on having in this custom center console? LCD screen/DVD player? Cd player? just curious.

ac_knight

As of right now, just my cd player.  As money grows, and I get more of it to put toward my Charger, I will add other stuff.  Right now it will have cup holders, cd player, and a storage box / arm rest.

Hemidog

ac_knight

Not yet, I am working hard thru the holidays.  I am not sure when I can get back to it.  I will keep you all updated, I promise.

mikepmcs

Too busy kickin ass and takin names!  Oh and playing the silly movie quote game. :nana:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ac_knight

I am waiting to get it carpeted.  Hopfully this weekend or next.  Been real busy lately, the Charger had suffered the effects of winter.  No heat in the garage.