News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to lower the front end of my 72 Charger

Started by ACUDANUT, April 11, 2009, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Will turning/loosening the torsion bar nut on the K-frame lower the front end.  If not, what will ?

maxwellwedge

Yes - But don't go too crazy or it will definitely screw up your alignment at the least.

ACUDANUT

Well, I tried that and it did not work. Now there is a space between the nut and the K-frame, looks like it is stuck, as it did not lower.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Oh - It did not register with me. I thought you were talking about the torsion bar adjusting bolt in the bottom/middle of the lower control arm. I think you are talking about the nut that holds the lower control arm to the k-frame. That wont do anything with ride height - you better re-torque that with the car weight on the ground. Only the torsion bar adjusting bolt will change the ride height.

mauve66

under the lower control arm you'll see a bolt that acts on a lever inside the arm
bolt is from the bottom of the arm straight up in the area of the red circle
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

R2

IF you change the ride height,,,using the torsion bar bolt,,,,,do with the car jacked up,,,,not on the ground....
I usually take some measurements before,,,,and after ,,,,to see how much it's moving,,,,

ACUDANUT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 11, 2009, 09:11:54 PM
Oh - It did not register with me. I thought you were talking about the torsion bar adjusting bolt in the bottom/middle of the lower control arm. I think you are talking about the nut that holds the lower control arm to the k-frame. That wont do anything with ride height - you better re-torque that with the car weight on the ground. Only the torsion bar adjusting bolt will change the ride height.
Well, I have done both inadvertanly and still have no results.  I made sure it was the actual torsion bar I was playing with.  The Nut now has space between it and the K-frame.  Do you think it is stuck, as it did not lower and the nut did not become in-contact the the frame...Yet.

maxwellwedge

Are you talking about the nut like the one circled in the pic? That should tighten back up with a little oomph.

ACUDANUT

Yes, that's the one. Do you think it is stuck/frozen into place ?  I have bounced on the front end thinking it would lower. No luck yet.  My car sits so high, that it looks like a Mexican/Hydraulic car.  :brickwall:

mauve66

hard to tell by the pic, is the motor/tranny in the car?? it will sit high until they go in
i can't really tell what that is thats circled in the pic from that angle.....................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

ACUDANUT

That's not my pic...But, yes...A 383 and 727 is in my 72 Charger. :cheers:

mauve66

i can't tell what that bolt in his pic is
this is mine when the bolt is backed out of the control arm the front end will drop down, just don't go too far, i don't know if the bolt will come all the way out or not
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

chgr500

Quote from: mauve66 on April 13, 2009, 05:09:17 PM
this is mine when the bolt is backed out of the control arm the front end will drop down, just don't go too far, i don't know if the bolt will come all the way out or not

Ya better tighten up that splash shield bolt or yer gonna lose it.... :icon_smile_cool:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 13, 2009, 04:39:06 PM
Yes, that's the one. Do you think it is stuck/frozen into place ?  I have bounced on the front end thinking it would lower. No luck yet.  My car sits so high, that it looks like a Mexican/Hydraulic car.  :brickwall:

You have to get some tension off the torsion bars. Jack the front end up, back out the torsion bar adjusting bolts a bunch and then try tightening the lower control arm to k-frame nut. I don't have the service manual in front of me but I know it takes around 100+ ft/lbs of torque. If you get it tightened back up without any space between the washer (You do have a thick washer behind the nut I hope)  and the k-frame, crank the torsion bar bolts about 1/2 way in, put the the car on the ground and final torque the nut to specs. Hopefully at this point you can play with the torsion bar adjusting bolt to get the height you want.....then a trip to the alignment shop.

If that doesn't do it then give you car to Cheech and Chong for their next movie.  :icon_smile_big:

mauve66

Quote from: chgr500 on April 13, 2009, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on April 13, 2009, 05:09:17 PM

Ya better tighten up that splash shield bolt or yer gonna lose it.... :icon_smile_cool:

hasn't gone anywhere in so long.............. ::)
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

ACUDANUT

Can't handle the Cheech and Chong look.  What ever happen to just letting the bolt out some (yes the big washer is still there) and it "just lowered it"  I am thinking the Torsion bars are just stuck.  Lifting the car up did not help and either does sitting on the front bumper and make it dance help.  :brickwall:

NHCharger

I lower the front on my 72 using the bolt that Mauve showed I believe. I will double check tomorrow night.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

This is the torsion bar adjusting bolt. Turn clockwise to increase ride height, counterclockwise to lower ride height.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mauve66

see, i'm not crazy after all.....................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

ACUDANUT

Dang, Serious confusion going around here.  I was told it was the Torsion bar NUT, not BOLT.  Now I understand. Thank you so much !!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 13, 2009, 08:31:51 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 13, 2009, 04:39:06 PM

You have to get some tension off the torsion bars. Jack the front end up, back out the torsion bar adjusting bolts a bunch and then try tightening the lower control arm to k-frame nut. I don't have the service manual in front of me but I know it takes around 100+ ft/lbs of torque. If you get it tightened back up without any space between the washer (You do have a thick washer behind the nut I hope)  and the k-frame, crank the torsion bar bolts about 1/2 way in, put the the car on the ground and final torque the nut to specs. Hopefully at this point you can play with the torsion bar adjusting bolt to get the height you want.....then a trip to the alignment shop.

If that doesn't do it then give you car to Cheech and Chong for their next movie.  :icon_smile_big:

Wasn't me!  :icon_smile_big:

Is it good to go?

Ghoste

Quote from: mauve66 on April 16, 2009, 11:09:18 AM
see, i'm not crazy after all.....................

You haven't proven your way out of that yet fella.

ACUDANUT

Problem Fixed.  :2thumbs:  Thanks guys.  I still wonder, why others give advice when they do not know what they are talking about.  :brickwall:

3--Daytona

Just a friendly word of caution,,,3 days ago I watch a guy try to raise the front end,,the adjusting bolt was frozen,,he got a longer break over bar,,,,with more force he striped the threads out of the adjusting block,,,,,,,THE  CAR FELL LIKE A ROCK,,he was not under it,,had gone to get a longer tool..