News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's up with this conficker worm deal. Hoax or real??

Started by mikepmcs, March 31, 2009, 05:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Well.... Its been april 1 here for 21 hours now, and my unprotected win2000 box hasnt done anything at all. Id say its a hoax.

bull

Seems to me if it were a genuine threat everyone and their dog wouldn't know the exact moment it was supposed to start wreaking havoc. :shruggy:

Foreman72

Quote from: Andrew on April 01, 2009, 02:53:23 AM
Well.... Its been april 1 here for 21 hours now, and my unprotected win2000 box hasnt done anything at all. Id say its a hoax.

thats good to kno sir :cheers:

thanks
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

69_500

400/6/PAC

It's got Me worried.
They say it can track You'r key strokes so It can pick up user names and passwords.
I'm not logging on to any bank accounts or doing on line bill pay for a while.  :Twocents:

mikepmcs

There are already hacks out there that have that capability I believe.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

So anybody know if this thing was confirmed as a hoax?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Quote from: Andrew on April 01, 2009, 02:53:23 AM
You'd have to have downloaded it somehow to be affected.

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 02, 2009, 03:45:14 PM
So anybody know if this thing was confirmed as a hoax?
A hoax would be something that doesn't really exist right? This thing does. It could/can cause damage but whether or not it does/will isn't so easily predicted. There are literally thousands of worms/viruses/exploits that pose serious risks but don't end up causing much damage for one reason or another. You usually only hear about the ones that cause massive failures.

The staggering amount of resources lined up to combat this thing is testament to how seriously it's being taken. "The Conficker Working Group-which is made up of 27 tech companies and agencies including AOL, F-Secure, Facebook, ICANN, Kaspersky, McAffee, Microsoft, Symantec-says that Conficker, also known as Downup, Downadup, and Kido, is the largest worldwide computer infection since the SQL Slammer in 2003. The CWG estimates anywhere from 3 to 15 million computers are infected worldwide, and says 30 percent of Windows computers across the globe are not updated with the latest patches to protect against Conficker. The virus authors are also still at large and able to communicate with Conficker-although that capability has been significantly reduced."
http://www.pcworld.com/article/162477/conficker_worm_not_finished_yet.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

aifilaw

I think everyone except the original coders missed the real purpose here. Think about it...
The most sophisticated (and simple) worm ever created by man, launched and infected more computers by itself and put up the greatest resistance than any other similar worm or virus.
Result, victims of the virus knew only that it would "phone home" on a certain day, and were thus going to great lengths, spending time, resources and energy to stop it.
The code masked the true location of the "parent" by compiling for itself a seemingly random list of thousands of locations where it would obtain its future instructions.

End Result, APRIL FOOLS!!! on april fools day. I think it was very well played.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

MoparManJim

Well I'm niot sure, I had somthing hit my pc yesterday and just about 2 hours ago it about took out my pc. I had to reoot it and when doing that the pc switch over to another mode  :o . then my broadband went nuts as while and I had a heck of time getting back on line.  :shruggy: 

So, I would like to know what the heck hit my pc.  :icon_smile_blackeye: 

69bronzeT5

Just watching the news...the worm is on the move now letting users know their computer is affected. It's telling them to buy anti-virus software that turns out to be fake and take your money.

mikepmcs

That's business as usual with any of those kinds of virus.  Aifilaw nailed it in his post, IMO.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/138448/conficker-eye-chart-how-it-works/

Just read this. It appears I am infected with some sort of virus. :shruggy:
Only one I could get it to work on was the baylor.edu link(you'll see when you read it)

I was missing the middle security logo on the top row. 

Oh well.  Business as usual.