News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Perspective

Started by Challenger340, April 11, 2009, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Just a "Heads up" for those guys who have Resto type cars, and although the plethora of Aftermarket Parts and Kits are taylored for "Strokers", thats all fine and dandy,
BUT,
if the Budget just ain't there, keep this little 383 Build in mind,
"IF"
you'd be satisfied, with "just a decent little performer", capable of 13 second timeslips, albeit, for a Whole Lot cheaper than a Stroker.

I'll get the actual DYNO Sheets up on the "Proven" Board later as time permits, complete with a "what was done" breakdown, but for now, here's the "rundown".

1966 383 Engine
Bored .030" over
"Stock" low-pop Badger Cast Pistons.(pump regular)
"Stock" Heads and Valves, yep, just stock 2.08/1.74 Valves
ARP Rod Bolts on the stock Rods
Balanced Bottom End.
Comp. Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet cam(very mild), GREAT Idle !
Adjustable Rockers
We, could easily have gone "more" Cam for "more" Power, but digressed in favor of the Easy Idle and Tuneability/Driveability.
Torker Intake and a 750 carb

434 HP @ 5600 rpm, and 442 Ft/Lbs Torque @ 3200 rpm.

Keep in mind here, this thing cost less to do, "Complete, Finished & Dyno'd" in TOTAL, than most Stroker Engines "Parts lists" by themselves.
NO,
It will NOT "set the record" at the Dragstrip
BUT,
I guarantee it WILL put a smile on yer yap when ya "hit the Loud pedal", won't break the Bank, or your Diffy, Trans, Fuel System(stock) etc. and Idles smooth as glass !
Even WITH the Torker Intake ?
Would have been even better with a newer design Dual Plane.

Later, Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

maxwellwedge

Sounds like the dyno reads generous to me. 440's with the same mild mods have a hard time hitting those numbers.  :Twocents:

mauve66

different brand dynos do read different numbers, a couple of years ago there was a mag article about it, they went to 3-4 different dynos , got totally different numbers, some off by 20%, that's why i take dyno numbers with a grain of salt, maybe the "type" of dyno should be listed in the proven combo thread
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Challenger340

Like I said, stay tuned, I'll post the numbers up, with the dyno sheets, on the proven Board.

The Engine Dyno is a 2008 Superflow 902, their latest and "best" model, and the numbers are exremely accurate, it is NOT "Generous", more it is likely "Critical".

It was Dyno'd by an "Independant Dyno Testing Facility", thats all they do, DYNO ENGINES, that's it, That's ALL they do.

Myself, and many other Shops here in Western Canada, hire them because of their "Independence", and "Professionalism" at what they do.

Other Engines I've Dyno'd on this Superflow, are "BANG ON" when it comes to Track Times and E.T.   It's called "Empirical Data".

Everything I've built and Dyno'd there, from 850 hp that run 8's, to 500 hp that run 12's, and everything in Between, VERY ACCURATE.

Bob out.

Challenger340

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 11, 2009, 09:19:54 PM
Sounds like the dyno reads generous to me. 440's with the same mild mods have a hard time hitting those numbers.  :Twocents:

Sounds to me, like the Wrong People are building those 440's  :Twocents:

mopar_nut_440_6

I have a 383 that I would love to build some day. I picked up a Racer Brown cam package many years ago with everything still in the original boxes. I know this is old technology but a 383 to me is a 340 on steroids and with that cam package would be a nice especially with a 4 speed and a stiff set of gears! I love the BIG big blocks but appreciate the inexpensive, well mannered 13 second cars.

Where are you from BOB? I am in Prince George!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Challenger340

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 12, 2009, 12:22:01 AM
I have a 383 that I would love to build some day. I picked up a Racer Brown cam package many years ago with everything still in the original boxes. I know this is old technology but a 383 to me is a 340 on steroids and with that cam package would be a nice especially with a 4 speed and a stiff set of gears! I love the BIG big blocks but appreciate the inexpensive, well mannered 13 second cars.

Geez, Hi Neighbor !
I'm down in Jaffray by Cranbrook, small world ain't it !

Yeah, I was kinda surprised by this 383.
It's been awhile since I've done one "this" close to stock, with so many "stock" parts. Everything is Stroker this, Stroker that, and Aluminum heads, that we really just don't get "these" anymore.

It's a funny story actually.
We'd built this 383, Literally, what seems like a DECADE AGO for a very nice Guy, as a "resto" type Engine.
and,
well,
seems he'd put it in the car, then as so often happens in life, he got sidetracked, and then it just sat there !

So, when he called us up recently,and asked if it would still be "OK" to fire it up, I kind of Balked !

I suggested it might be best to pull it, and let us dis-assemble, inspect, re-lube, and re-assemble to be safe.
He Agreed.
Nonetheless, thats how we were stuck with the "stock" parts to work with. No Matter, but we did update the Valve Job, Bowl Port, and trick a bit.

Nowadays, we don't let anything we assemble leave, without a Dyno session, so thats how the numbers came about.

But I meant what I said, I looked up the Old Invoice, and compared what "Todays" pricing would be, even with the updated Heads and Port, it's a Budget Engine.

I'd still prefer, and reccomend a 440 for the same "genre" of build these days, just "no replacement for displacement" as is said,
but,
the little wee-83 can be a "Pertty Snappy Feller" with some work :2thumbs: !

Bob out.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 12, 2009, 12:59:16 AM
Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 12, 2009, 12:22:01 AM

Geez, Hi Neighbor !
I'm down in Jaffray by Cranbrook, small world ain't it !

Yeah, I was kinda surprised by this 383.
It's been awhile since I've done one "this" close to stock, with so many "stock" parts. Everything is Stroker this, Stroker that, and Aluminum heads, that we really just don't get "these" anymore.

It's a funny story actually.
We'd built this 383, Literally, what seems like a DECADE AGO for a very nice Guy, as a "resto" type Engine.
and,
well,
seems he'd put it in the car, then as so often happens in life, he got sidetracked, and then it just sat there !

So, when he called us up recently,and asked if it would still be "OK" to fire it up, I kind of Balked !

I suggested it might be best to pull it, and let us dis-assemble, inspect, re-lube, and re-assemble to be safe.
He Agreed.
Nonetheless, thats how we were stuck with the "stock" parts to work with. No Matter, but we did update the Valve Job, Bowl Port, and trick a bit.

Nowadays, we don't let anything we assemble leave, without a Dyno session, so thats how the numbers came about.

But I meant what I said, I looked up the Old Invoice, and compared what "Todays" pricing would be, even with the updated Heads and Port, it's a Budget Engine.

I'd still prefer, and reccomend a 440 for the same "genre" of build these days, just "no replacement for displacement" as is said,
but,
the little wee-83 is pertty snappy feller !

Bob out.

Sounds great. I may give you a shout sometime as the kids grandparents are in Cranbrook and we generally go down there each summer and spend a little time at Wasa Lake.

The cam I have is the Racer Brown ST21X and in the day those things worked very well  and made good power to over 7000 and a 383 will live quite nicely at that rpm. I would just love to put that 383 together and dump it in my Duster of course I do have a stroked 440 for my Charger.

Sorry to hijack your thread!

Cheers,

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Ghoste

As far as power numbers Bob, it reminds me of the fact that a lot of it also comes down to real blueprinting doesn't it?  I've read the NHRA rules for Stock Eliminator cars and they are about as strict as they can be and yet those cars seem to hit some amazing results.

firefighter3931

Those are great power numbers Bob, but it's obvious the heads have had a little bit of work.  ;) A bowl blend, even with stock valves will show surprising results. With a single plane Torker, descent carb and headers....those numbers are certainly believable.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

maxwellwedge

Ok gang - Now that we have head work, headers and a bit of a cam I see the numbers sneaking up. I would of guessed just under 400 so those numbers are pretty good. Good combo of parts, great rod length to stroke ratio and a great ring seal.

BTW - The 440's I have been dyno'ing the last few years are resto engines. 100% bone stock intake and exhaust manifolds, carb, dist and compression. No head work. I do use great innards like JE forged pistons (stock compression) and a slightly warmed-over cam, balanced and blue-printed and dyno through the stock exhaust manifolds and mufflers. I have been getting 395 to 410 HP with basically stock factory specs. This is my factory correct resto stuff.

I have had some 600 - 750 HP 440 motors in some of my drag stuff but that was in a formal life.  :icon_smile_big: