News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Mother was in the news today.

Started by C_stripes, April 09, 2009, 09:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_stripes

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/local/story/Northern-Utah-Goat-Gives-Birth-to-Quintuplets/2Cg8MvIwAUKXBUKRJ3ueVQ.cspx

NEWTON, Utah (AP) -- A mother goat in northern Utah is suddenly very busy.

Lavella gave birth to five baby goats, or kids, on Friday at a farm in Newton, near Logan. Four are boys and one is a girl; all weighed only a pound apiece.

Tammy Macdonald, who cares for nearly 100 goats, which she breeds as a hobby, says she's surprised the smallest of the group have survived.

"I've raised goats for 23 years and have only had five (kids) born at once three times," Macdonald said. "The two other times, they didn't all survive."

Macdonald is using a bottle to feed the two runts of the litter to make sure they get enough nourishment, a process that has bonded the animals to her. "They think they're people," she said.

The Nigerian Dwarf breed goats will be up to 50 pounds when full-grown, when they'll eat things like apples, old bread and potato chips.

Kerry Rood, Utah's extension veterinarian, says goats usually have one, maybe two kids and that five is rare, though not unheard of.

Lavella's new arrivals are already nursing, bleating and trying to jump on logs in their pen.

They'll go up for sale in May along with about 50 other goats from Macdonald's herd. They're bought for milk, meat or companionship.

But Macdonald will keep Lavella, who is now 3 years old and has had a steady career in the Cache County Fair. "It would be fun if she had eight (kids), then we could call her Octomom."

I hate the goats. But I am glad she has a hobbie.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

richard pettys 73

wait can i ask a serios question ??? do goats supposed to have more than one kid????  :shruggy:
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

C_stripes

BigBlackDodge

richard pettys 73

then why was is such big news.. :shruggy:.not trying to be an ass  :slap:  i  am really woundering  :yesnod:
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

C_stripes

a few reasons. Five is double average. It was apparently a slow day for news. And this is rural Utah.

Like I said, I hate the goats. But my Mom and Sisters enjoy them. To each his own I guess. Or her in this case.  Still kind of cool that it was on the news though.

Did you decide how much you want for that piece I asked you about?

WingCharger

That was a surprising thread to read. :D

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: I eat apples, old bread and potato chips, had all three yesterday...  :shruggy:

bull

Goats have got to be one of the top ten most annoying animals. They keep the weeds down though. That's about all I can say for them...